New York City Audio Show 2017-Friday 11/10-Sunday 11/12

The very worst Audio Show I've ever been to! I am now no longer an "audiophile" because that means boring pathetic music and polite WAY overpriced components... Every room I heard was horrible... exceptions being Luxman, Legacy and Martin Logan... rest "suoked" ... and I really don't like pouring over 5 crates of records filled with dupes while being talked at in an overcrowded room...( ie a company that I respect very much that did not put their best foot forward...Chad's room..). sorry but the audio presenters were not many and most of what I heard was bad... really wanted my money back from the Chester Group!
Wow! Guess I didn't miss much after all! Last years vinyl selection was pretty bad as well.
Demo rooms were pretty good though, with only 4-5 that did nothing for me.

Maybe I am being too harsh and if I were there again would find more merit and of course it's just one person's opinion...everyone is entitled..not just me...so I sincerely apologise for coming on too strong. Its just that the show really left me largely disappointed. Most sound and music seemed very manicured..to me at least.

Maybe I am being too harsh and if I were there again would find more merit and of course it's just one person's opinion...everyone is entitled..not just me...so I sincerely apologise for coming on too strong. Its just that the show really left me largely disappointed. Most sound and music seemed very manicured..to me at least.
i can see where Supercool is coming from...i enjoyed the show but was underwhelmed...this is the city,where were all the cans & headphone amp?,I'm not a big can guy,but most of us live in apartments,not houses...also why was this show even smaller in rooms & gear than 2016? their first show(2015) in Brooklyn had some live music...i went to the show hoping to purchase a product from ifi...they were not in the house....were was Hegel? Gamut?...i really think NYC is an afterthought for this group putting the show together...a 3 day pass is a bad joke...this is just my opinion.

One would think NYC being the media capitol of the world would have a huge show, with dozens of vendors like 2016. Hell, there were a row of parked black stretch limos in front of the hotel last year when I left. There’s a lot of people with big wallets in the city, you would think the vendors would want to make a great impression and stack up orders!

I missed MBL, Zu, Volti, and Brooklyn's own DeVore...let alone something really cool like a Daptone Records Showcase...also Brooklyn based...This was part of the disappointment..

It's a cost thing.
I'd bet doing this in NY is probably 3-5x the cost of doing most other places (more than that for some places).
At some point I'd guess, what they sell doesn't cover what they spend.
Small companies and west coast companies also have higher costs.

The "Hi Fi" speaker companies think that all speakers should be judged by how well they reproduce the piano and vocals, and sometimes an acoustic guitar. This why all you hear is insipid, manicured music. Mostly close mic, in the digital realm, with not a lot of dynamics. My reference track would be Pink Floyd's "Time", if I had my druthers. The earliest stereo orchestral recordings are actually the best recordings ever made. Something in the Columbia/RCAVictor/Decca realm.

It's a cost thing.
I'd bet doing this in NY is probably 3-5x the cost of doing most other places (more than that for some places).

The costs for display rooms were the same as Axpona, so that's not it.
I'm thinking that the DC show was so close in schedule (1 week previous) that many decided against 2 in a row. I also think marketing-wise, a major point of a show is to get viewed/reviewed by Stereophile or TAS. If the manufacturer was in DC and exposed to the critics there, a significant reason for showing was removed.

As to Supercool's comments on sound quality, I mostly agree. I did not see any room treatments; wall baffles or corner baffles. (Some of the rooms were not open yet, I was there early Friday, before standard opening time) Many of the big speakers were boomy.

I thought the Electrocompaniet room sounded good.

Last edited:
Funny,
Not too many B & M stores left. A few years ago i wandered into a downtown NYC store and they used Pink Floyd to demo Martin Logans.
I have no beef with PF. At least i thought i knew what it should sound like. I do get tired of listening to the same old Sht

One thing about last year's show was you could bring vinyl or CD's, and they would play them on the demo systems.
I was definitely going to do that until I had too much other crap to do that day and couldn't make it.
Maybe next year.

they do not make good sound equipment any more those days are in the 70 s even cd sound good but don't lost

when is the next nyc event? Do you guys ever meet for a group? Should be a NYC thread for us to plan to visit one another or meet in the city. I remember a showroom as a kid I believe run by zenith around the 50"s and 5th ave,. Used to go there watch tv and play with the stereos. Miss all the audi showroom on 45th street and around canal and chambers street.

when is the next nyc event? Do you guys ever meet for a group? Should be a NYC thread for us to plan to visit one another or meet in the city. I remember a showroom as a kid I believe run by zenith around the 50"s and 5th ave,. Used to go there watch tv and play with the stereos. Miss all the audi showroom on 45th street and around canal and chambers street.
Hi,

We discussed getting together last fall for a record store-audio shop crawl, but it didn't pan out with everyone's different schedules.
There's been discussion to meet at AKer supercool's house in Staten Island, his house is empty, but no dates have been set.
We have a meet at the Blue Mountain Reservation Lodge in Peekskill this September 15th.
I've hosted a few small listening sessions at my house, and would love to have another.
That's pretty much where we are at the moment that I'm aware of.
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom