The Knife Thread.....

I love the look of Damascus steel. Alas, this is the only example that I own: A Yoshihiro Vg10 Stainless Steel 16 Layers Damascus Nakiri.
View attachment 862756

-Dave
Beautiful looking knife that must be a joy to cut/cook with!

Traditional Japanese forge folding isn't *really* "Damascus", though....it achieves the same look.

Nice Mnandi ! Cocobolo grips ?
Good eye!
I love the look of Damascus steel. Alas, this is the only example that I own: A Yoshihiro Vg10 Stainless Steel 16 Layers Damascus Nakiri.
View attachment 862756

-Dave
I love yoshihiro, got about 3 knives from them, 1 Damascus yanagi.

This guy cost more than my peachtree stereo...

Picture from my last job, we were all yoshihiro fans

Well I was inspired by this thread..Also found myself skinning a deer with a pocket knife last fall since I had lost my Buck knife, So I went on a spree.. Woopie!
Picked these up new off the Bay. (Marbbles,Frost, and Elk-Ridge) The flip pocket is Tac-Force.
knife 001.JPG

Best-

Boozehound

Last edited:
Spring Project: knifemaking or more accurately, knifehandle-ing with a big pile of scandi grinds. Plan to start small and build up to blade forging...someday as I have all the gear for it. For now I'll settle at getting handles on these as I retool shop for more of this kind of work. The extras are for the oops factor -

xJ7iMZi.jpg

It's been awhile, I'll start with this one. It's a talibong from the Philippines. Philippine blades are quite amazing and I don't see them often in New England. If I do it's at a WW2 vet's estate sale. These look awkward but the balance is terrific, like an extension of your arm. The blacksmith that beat this out of a truck spring truly knew what he was doing, a top craftsman for sure.

Overall length tip to tail is ~17" and ~1/4" across the spine. It has a single bevel on the face and the back is flat. It looks like the original edge on it and it is a razor. The handle & scabbard are made of dark & dense wood like ironwood and I'd bet it is kamagong, an ebony, which was likely plentiful 70 years back.

Anyways, worth keeping a look out for when you are on the hunt -

sUiatqr.jpg

ldwFgpS.jpg

Spring Project: knifemaking or more accurately, knifehandle-ing with a big pile of scandi grinds. Plan to start small and build up to blade forging...someday as I have all the gear for it. For now I'll settle at getting handles on these as I retool shop for more of this kind of work. The extras are for the oops factor -

xJ7iMZi.jpg

How is this project coming?

-Dave

-Dave

Probably won't get serious until late fall/winter. Collecting handle material though, lots of cherry, lignum vitae, mahogany, rock maple, & walnut. Also some ebonite & linen phenolic. The cherry, mahogany, & ebonite from an organ pedal set free off CL. The rock maple from a Conant-Ball chair free at the dump. The walnut, lignum vitae, & linen phenolic from the shop at an estate sale for for short $. The guy was a pen turner. Still looking for some beech, will likely buy a cutting board at IKEA for that.

I took this picture last month for an other thread in here... but here is my Marshal Hall stubby EDC and custom shop Buck 110 (with my early 90s Leatherman)
20170715_edc.jpg

And some build shots of the MHK:
rough cut steel, pattern, and handle material...
my_knife.jpg

rough cut with my His and Her Chef knives
rough_cut.jpg

Heat treated...
heat_treated.jpg

Getting some file work...
file_work.jpg

Final assembly...
mhk-custom_edc-006.jpg

and lastly, my Chef Knives...
chef_knives-01.jpg

I took this picture last month for an other thread in here... but here is my Marshal Hall stubby EDC and custom shop Buck 110 (with my early 90s Leatherman)
20170715_edc.jpg

And some build shots of the MHK:
rough cut steel, pattern, and handle material...
my_knife.jpg

rough cut with my His and Her Chef knives
rough_cut.jpg

Heat treated...
heat_treated.jpg

Getting some file work...
file_work.jpg

Final assembly...
mhk-custom_edc-006.jpg

and lastly, my Chef Knives...
chef_knives-01.jpg

NICE collection of steel !
Looking at this made me get out a couple of knives I hadn`t played with in a while. This one, I call "The Shark".... the guy who made it likes to forge old car leaf springs and old sections of wrought-iron fencing together, hammer-welded style. He does a nice Japanese-style clay hamon as well. The handle material is stabilized burled elm.

upload_2017-7-27_21-34-23.png
upload_2017-7-27_21-36-8.png

Nice! Love the coloring of the wood and outline of the grind. My buddy Neil (Blackwood Custom Knives) does blades like that... but he mainly makes super high end folders out of my league,so I've never commissioned one.

The Buck was a Christmas gift from the wife years back. S30V blade, Water Buffalo handle... engraved to say "Hands Off James Only". I have a few lock blades and hunters that she has claimed as her own... so she got me one she won't take :)

the MHK was built to my wants, it is a 3 1/4" blade that is 1 1/4" tall and 1/8" thick with an overall length of 7 3/8" made from Crucible's CPM154CM stainless steel. Handle of maroon linen Micarta and stabilized Giraffe bone with red spacers and mosaic pins.

I've got a thing for Case XX pocket knives from the 70s. Everything on the right side of the case, (except for the one butterfly), falls into that catagory. Just about everyone is like new, and never sharpened.
Also love full auto knives. About half on the left side are full auto, with the balance being assisted opening, along with a few old Gerbers and others. I have plenty more, but they are scattered all over the house and garage.

I've got a thing for Case XX pocket knives from the 70s. Everything on the right side of the case, (except for the one butterfly), falls into that catagory. Just about everyone is like new, and never sharpened.
Also love full auto knives. About half on the left side are full auto, with the balance being assisted opening, along with a few old Gerbers and others. I have plenty more, but they are scattered all over the house and garage.

NICE collection ! :)

Weird... I've never posted in this thread!

I don't have a lot of knives but I have a few interesting ones. Pics in a bit.

Weird... I've never posted in this thread!

I don't have a lot of knives but I have a few interesting ones. Pics in a bit.
There`s also a "Every Day Carry Knives" thread running concurrently on this (Sports and Outdoor Adventure) forum. You might want to check that one out as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll post the EDC stuff over there...

This one's my favorite knife, with the best story.

My grandfather was a Nebraska cattle rancher who served as a boat captain in the Coast Guard in Greenland during WWII. I suspect they may have had some slow days up there; one day he needed a kitchen knife, so he went and made one in the shop. The knife traveled home with him and spent the next sixty years in regular use - my mom and her siblings all remember using this knife daily!

About a year ago, my aunt emailed me and asked me if I would like to have Grandpa's knife. It had suffered way too many trips through the dishwasher (!) and had probably seen regular abuse in an electric knife sharpener but it was beautiful, nonetheless...

image2.JPG

The handle was done. I sent it to a Colorado knife maker for a tune up, and he did some wonderful work for me. He initially hoped to save the handle, but it literally disintegrated as he worked on it. He spent quite a while trying to track down the same kind of rivets that Grandpa used, and then made new scales from a piece of hickory.

Here's my "new" knife, ready for another century of service!

refurbed.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I'll post the EDC stuff over there...

This one's my favorite knife, with the best story.

My grandfather was a Nebraska cattle rancher who served as a boat captain in the Coast Guard in Greenland during WWII. I suspect they may have had some slow days up there; one day he needed a kitchen knife, so he went and made one in the shop. The knife traveled home with him and spent the next sixty years in regular use - my mom and her siblings all remember using this knife daily!

About a year ago, my aunt emailed me and asked me if I would like to have Grandpa's knife. It had suffered way too many trips through the dishwasher (!) and had probably seen regular abuse in an electric knife sharpener but it was beautiful, nonetheless...

View attachment 1047634

That's a cool knife and story.

-Dave

-Dave

Finishing up a downstairs bathroom remodel and combined the shop redo with it as the back of my workbench is on a shared wall. I might even get the shop area complete before Christmas which means some bench time. Bench redone from electronics centric to fabrication centric. Still able to do audio gear but the scope will be much wider for what I can tackle. Pics at some point when it doesn't look like a bomb hit. Amazed it is actually coming together.....

Once the bench is done several equipment rehabs on deck -

Convert drill press to DC motor & controller

Convert band saw to DC motor & controller

Add PLC controller to kiln

Organize stock racks & parts

Get busy with it

Back
Top Bottom