The Knife Thread.....

The handle was done. I sent it to a Colorado knife maker for a tune up, and he did some wonderful work for me. He initially hoped to save the handle, but it literally disintegrated as he worked on it. He spent quite a while trying to track down the same kind of rivets that Grandpa used, and then made new scales from a piece of hickory.

Here's my "new" knife, ready for another century of service!

View attachment 1047635

Beauty....I love saving old tools and making them functional again !

It's a solid piece, considering the fairly low cost. But my two favorites are the Hubertus lever lock, and the Buck 110 conversion.

I have an 80s Hubertus slim, my only one. The Buck is nice and looks like an early conversion. Re: the Mikov, how does it hold an edge and does it keep it?

Mikovs always reminded me of a "kit knife", that you had to assemble yourself....

This is the one I keep nosing the hook on, one with a clip point blade. In my state you cannot carry a double-edge blade -

241nr1u700.jpg

A Campolin Camper ring-pull will probably come before it though -

large_2699_ClipPointBolsterRingPullStagHornAutomaticSwitchbladeKnife.JPG

I have an 80s Hubertus slim, my only one. The Buck is nice and looks like an early conversion. Re: the Mikov, how does it hold an edge and does it keep it?

I've found it hard to locate nice Hubertus autos in the US. The Buck is an early one, but I don't know exactly when it was made, as I bought it used.

As for the Mikov, I really don't know. The blade only says Stainless, which covers a lot of ground. I've never sharpened, or used it. I've lived most of my life in Illinois, where autos are very illegal. Since moving to Tennessee last January, where all knives are legal, they've came out of hiding.

Autos are kind of a novelty item for me. I love 'em, but rarely carry them. I've had them open in my pocket far to many times. And ones with safeties are often slow to deploy.
My everyday carry is almost always one of the Kershaw Assisted Opening knives. Quality knives, with quality steel, at a reasonable price, that I can replace easy if lost. I can get an AO knife out and open as fast, or faster than most autos.

This is the one I keep nosing the hook on, one with a clip point blade. In my state you cannot carry a double-edge blade -

Mine looks like a double edge blade, but only one side is sharp. If both sides were sharp, it would be hard to close against the spring. So technically, it is still a single edged blade, but I would hate to argue that in court.

Autos are kind of a novelty item for me. I love 'em, but rarely carry them.

My daily carry is a Chinese Ganzo G721 Firebird and it is a great knife, under $20 mailed from China. Holds a edge when worked, tight when closed, and beautifully made. Ganzo makes some great stuff and if you lose or mangle it the loss is minimal.

778wCNI.jpg

This is the best auto I own. Late 40's, French, and is engraved Prototype. Blade is under ~1/2" wide and a needle. It seems to be designed to go between ribs.

Got it with a lot of knives at auction, no one what it was so it went cheap.

HojFmWt.jpg

47ssIiV.jpg

cTWuKdP.jpg

Here's one without proto markings from a collector site -

french020.jpg

Marbles hunting knife - mid 50s?

That's a nice Ideal. Is it marked 45-5 on the backside? That pattern was available before WW2. I don't know them well enough to discern what distinguishes prewar from postwar though. Hunting knives were issued as is until mid/late 1942 when aluminum was restricted for aircraft use only. After that military patterns that were produced.

Couldn't find a mark on the backside, but the frontside stamp is weak so who knows? The Ideal design goes way back to 1898 from what I have read. If I remember correctly the type of screw in the handle puts my knife in the 50s. I was really excited to find this knife as I have found memories of my dad and uncles carrying similar designs.

Couldn't find a mark on the backside, but the frontside stamp is weak so who knows? The Ideal design goes way back to 1898 from what I have read. If I remember correctly the type of screw in the handle puts my knife in the 50s. I was really excited to find this knife as I have found memories of my dad and uncles carrying similar designs.

If you don't have a sheath, the WW2 repros are a great match.

Here's a fun one.

This has been in the family for forty or fifty years, now.

My grandfather was putting up barbed wire fence in the Sandhills of Nebraska, when his posthole digger hit metal. Now, that in itself is weird enough in a sea of sand, but imagine his surprise when he pulled this thing out!

It sat on his fireplace mantel for decades, and was the subject of much speculation by many. A couple years ago, Grandpa gave it to me. I inquired on an enthusiast page, and by the end of the day it was positively identified as an Ethiopian saif. The mystery of how it wound up in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska remains... a mystery.

Neat, huh? :)

2.jpg 3.jpg

Here's a fun one.

This has been in the family for forty or fifty years, now.

My grandfather was putting up barbed wire fence in the Sandhills of Nebraska, when his posthole digger hit metal. Now, that in itself is weird enough in a sea of sand, but imagine his surprise when he pulled this thing out!

It sat on his fireplace mantel for decades, and was the subject of much speculation by many. A couple years ago, Grandpa gave it to me. I inquired on an enthusiast page, and by the end of the day it was positively identified as an Ethiopian saif. The mystery of how it wound up in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska remains... a mystery.

Neat, huh? :)

View attachment 1049848 View attachment 1049849

"Buried Treasure" ! Very cool....

Back
Top Bottom