Looking for speakers

ZR9B

So I'm looking for new vintage speakers. I test drove some JBL L88 that were pristine and just rebuilt by a reputable repair shop and they sounded great.,they are not plus 12 and that was on purpose . I listened to a pair of altec lansing that were nice but not AS nice but 1/2 the price . I can get some kg4s (I think there still there) and 300 less the price of the 88s. I had kg4s and loved them....till I listened to the JBL L88. I had cerwin vega vs120 with fresh electronics they were fun but wanted a change. I can get a pair of JBL L 110s for way cheep but cant really test them.....hmmm what to do...for now Im running a Tandburg TR 1020 with a Dual 1219 . Is there any other speaker I should try to find that has a better sound that the L88s?

I'm afraid to gaze into Pandora's box here, ... speakers are so much a matter of personal preference, listening style, room layout, music preference, and source pairing.

Hopefully someone here who is familiar with the Tandberg will be able to tell you what will and will not sound good with your amp, but the rest is difficult to quantify.

I like vintage and pro JBL in general, have never become excited over the Klipsch sound (for example), 3-way over 2-way, domes over horns, have never liked CV, ... so between the candidates above I'd lean JBL.

You need to hear them first.

The L110s are probably what I would be looking into, depending on what really cheep means and what reason there is for the cheapness.

L110 are $250
L88 are $600
I know 600 is high but I got 400 for the vega's so it won't hurt so bad.....the 110s were put to stock, the 88 have been updated (not the +12tho) I can't try the 110s .....so that sucks

I think the L88 are waay high, that's more L88 + territory (and nice ones!).

L110s will likely be more revealing, and unless you have a large room the 10" woofers will be able to treat you well. I have a pair of JBL 4410As that fill my 20x25x8 listening room as well as my 4412As (10" vs 12" woofers).

Nothing against the L88s, but this guy in MI: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4410A-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 might be worth beating up for price if you like how they sound (note: the 4410A is designed for excellent imaging). You might be able to audition them if you can agree on a price, I don't think they're worth the asking (would probably sell mine for that!).

Where are you in MI?

Last edited:
14 mile and mound Sterling heights.
East point is 15 to 20 minutes from me. The 88s are damn near mint. I'll see what's up with the eBay guy....I think he has them on CL too

I thought I saw some 4410 or 4412 on CL for closer to $500 recently, I usually don't search as far north as DET area though.

Get down to I-80/90 very often?

Not down that way much....I would drive that far for a sale...and have. I don't know anyone down there but my brothers kid....he plays in a bon Jovi tribute band...lol

I think that another speaker that is in that price range is the L100T, the L80T should be less money if you're able to move away from the "need" many of us have for 12" woofers.

A lot of used speakers out there for $500, I'm surprised that you don't already have more suggestions here.

the "nice" L110s were a bust...wood was jacked...every dome was pushed in...the tweeters did not look like any in pics that I saw. They did have new foam though. A lady at work has some "old" 70s speakers in her basement I can have....we will see

My brother just gave me a set of Sansui sp1700. My other brother bought them overseas when he was in the Navy around 1971

My brother just gave me a set of Sansui sp1700. My other brother bought them overseas when he was in the Navy around 1971

That should get you started, particular with the high efficiency of the SP1700, which is a big plus in ur case. I’m a big proponent of using what you have first, instead of spending lots of money just based on what someone said. I would recap the Sansui SP1700; then clean all the contacts. Get some decent speaker cables. If you haven’t gone over your receiver and turntable, do that too. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom