Gear rack/stands

I am pretty limited along one wall of my den for space. For the last 20 years I've had an old one piece Bush Entertainment Center. I could only fit in a 32 inch LCD, maybe could have gone 40 inch, but I happened to have a 42 inch not being used that would not fit inside by maybe an inch. My other issue was that I was completely out of space for LP's and needed to do something.

I decided to cut out the top and bottom between the two "towers" and use a cabinet in the middle to store my HiFi equipment. I could then hand the 42 inch on the wall. Well I got it done, and I still have some new challenges, but I can work them shortly. The Cabinet I used in the middle was something I found on CL unfinished for $50- made out of Oak and Poplar. I put 5 coats of Polyshade on it. The Towers still have their backing- so they are a bit better structurally than I thought they'd be.

IMG_20170930_084221751-800.jpg

IMG_20171008_102106375-800.jpg
As the middle cabinet is now 7 inches wider than the older section- I had to move my speakers off the floor and to the top of each tower(for now). Each tower is 19.5 inches wide- I may have my son make me 2 replacements out of oak- but cut them down to 15 inches each- then I can have speakers back on floor.

The other issue I have- is I lost space for my center channel. I thought of pulling the drawer and finishing a flush shelf inside- but my KEF is still too tall for the opening. Eventually I'll have LP storage behind the doors- but its full of 25 yrs of junk that was in the old piece.

The WAF factor has completely improved- as shes loves the tv on the wall, and even though she has no idea of the components- she thinks they look cool out in the open like that.
I can work on cleaning up my junk, as I have another shelf in an office unit that is full of LP's(24 inch), as well as 2 others at 15 inches. If I have 2 replacement towers made- I would have them able to fill 4 shelves high rather than 3.

Chris

I went the flexi rack route and got some old bowling alley for the shelves. Will add pics later but words of wisdom, o.d bowling alley nailed together so if using something similar, careful with those nails!

New here. I built this from reclaimed lumber and pipe. I was able to route my wires through the pipe and ended up with a very clean install which is what I was after. Another advantage to building your shelves/rack is the ability to make the dimensions to fit your gear

Attachments

• 7DFFD57E-1DAF-4680-85F2-334A38769AC2.jpeg
    7DFFD57E-1DAF-4680-85F2-334A38769AC2.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 298
Here it is. It looks great but has ground noise issues, one channel is weaker than the other, the wiring looks like shit. I am so disappointed. 20160802_112815.jpg

Nice, I searched forever around here for something like this I could repurpose and finally gave up.

I have several racks, tubs, etc from a 60's Sony recording studio that I plan to use to make a large stand to hold a couple of systems. I used one to make a single rack for my office and it turned out fairly nice. I had some bamboo flooring I cut out to fill the center for the turntable.

View attachment 796725
View attachment 796726 View attachment 796727

20 years ago, my mother bought this commercial retail shelf when a hardware store went out of business.

She gave it to me for the expressed purpose of putting my stereo equipment on it.

I was like, yeah, whatever. I put it in my shed and used it for car parts.

Finally, I decided it would be perfect for audio stuff, although it's not pretty. It's just like the ones you see at grocery stores, etc.

DSC00428.JPG

I'll be able to go three components wide after I get some glass cutting boards. I have two more shelves for it, not seen.

The equipment, if anyone is curious...Sansui alpha-X amps, TU-X701 tuner, Nak CD player, Parasound pre and amps, Heathkit spectrum analyzer.

Nice, I searched forever around here for something like this I could repurpose and finally gave up.

The type of rack I used just happened to have been for 60's era recording studios, but after that period, there should be a lot more computer rack type enclosures out there. I picked this one up for free earlier this year and it is built like a tank. Eventually, this will be repainted for either gear or records.

IMG_2611.jpg IMG_2612.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, now these it is possible to find. Seen a few. Even found one that was a super shorty. A bit massive to put in my living space The shorter one you have gives the option of putting a larger surface on the top. Need this as I have a Technics Sl-1000 mk2

The type of rack I used just happened to have been for 60's era recording studios, but after that period, there should be a lot more computer rack type enclosures out there. I picked this one up for free earlier this year and it is build like a tank. Eventually, this will be repainted for either gear or records.

View attachment 1059728 View attachment 1059727

Here it is. It looks great but has ground noise issues, one channel is weaker than the other, the wiring looks like shit. I am so disappointed. View attachment 1054759

I have never seen another like mine. Who made yours? Makes me wonder if it is the same guy that made mine. The difference being mine has fantastic wiring, dead silent and about 10 watts per channel...each channel strong.

But it looks like the same guy built them. Or one of them copied the other? When was yours built? and do you know the builder?

Back
Top Bottom