Sleeper System

kjc2260

Do you have system that is a “sleeper”? One that at first glance is not the most expensive, not the most pleasing to the eye, but that amazes you every time you listen to it? I have one of those, an HK 330B paired with KLH Model 31’s. Now, let’s face it, the 330B is not the prettiest receiver around and the little KLH’s aren’t either but dang that setup sounds good. I have maybe 75 bucks tied up in this rig that I got almost as an afterthought. Curious to hear about yours

I have a nice little second "sleeper" system here, which cost $10 if you don't include the Grado cartridge (ouch!).
A free Dual 1009 SK mkII (with Grado 8MZ stylus on a Green), a minty Pioneer SX-737 (a whopping $10!), and a pair of free ADC 303AX (KLH 6 clones).
Doesn't crank the Stravinsky like my main system, but the FM in particular sounds captivating.

I do, and strangely enough it also is sporting a pair of ADC 303AX speakers. It's a Toshiba system. SY665 preamp, SC-665 power amp, ST-335 tuner, PC-5460 cassette deck, SD-3800 DVD player (for SACD and CD), SR-F451 turntable loaded with a Shure M70B cartridge and M70EJ replacement stylus. It's my office system, and I listen to it almost daily. It sounds absolutely amazing, especially considering I have less than $500 in the whole thing. The Toshiba 665 amp drives a clean 65 watts, and coupled with the ADC speakers the whole system really, really shines. It sounds way, way better than I thought it should.

Just an aside, I've tried several different speakers in my home office, and settled on these ADC 303AX speakers. Went through Acoustic Research RedBox II's, Boston Acoustics A60's (my second choice), Realistic Nova-8's, Siemens RL-171's, Cerwin Vega AT-8's, and mini Advents before settling on these speakers. I had to replace the tweeters, as the original doped tweeters were splitting at the dope line. Got non-doped CTS replacement tweeters off of eBay that were otherwise identical... and the speakers just SING. Really, really pleased with this system.

Charles.

I do, and strangely enough it also is sporting a pair of ADC 303AX speakers. It's a Toshiba system. SY665 preamp, SC-665 power amp, ST-335 tuner, PC-5460 cassette deck, SD-3800 DVD player (for SACD and CD), SR-F451 turntable loaded with a Shure M70B cartridge and M70EJ replacement stylus. It's my office system, and I listen to it almost daily. It sounds absolutely amazing, especially considering I have less than $500 in the whole thing. The Toshiba 665 amp drives a clean 65 watts, and coupled with the ADC speakers the whole system really, really shines. It sounds way, way better than I thought it should.

Just an aside, I've tried several different speakers in my home office, and settled on these ADC 303AX speakers. Went through Acoustic Research RedBox II's, Boston Acoustics A60's (my second choice), Realistic Nova-8's, Siemens RL-171's, Cerwin Vega AT-8's, and mini Advents before settling on these speakers. I had to replace the tweeters, as the original doped tweeters were splitting at the dope line. Got non-doped CTS replacement tweeters off of eBay that were otherwise identical... and the speakers just SING. Really, really pleased with this system.

Charles.
Sounds like a really unique system. I bought my daughter a mint Toshiba receiver a couple years ago. I’ve never seen any Toshiba separates but if they look as nice as her receiver, that’s saying something. Not familiar with the ADC speakers either but I’m going to do some research on them for sure. Great system!

My Toshiba SA-620 always amazes me when I use it. It stood toe to toe with my SX-1250 for years in the den and stood up well for itself. It is now slated for my workroom system with the Big Onk, Sansui 9900zdb and a speaker system consisting of a pair of TimeWindows, CX-17s and my recent thrift store find of a nice JBL sub. The Toshiba only cost $5 at the flea market many years ago.

My front system is a Marantz 2220B with Marantz 6100 TT (and Marantz SACD/DVD player connected to both the AVR and 2220B) hooked to Imperial 6 speakers. It simply blows me away every time I turn it on. I listen to it for hours every day. I paid close to retail for the serviced receiver but the speakers were snagged for $50, the TT for $25 and the SACD for $40. It just works so perfectly together.

23799943_1714900765196530_2335434080241608268_o.jpg

My front system is a Marantz 2220B with Marantz 6100 TT (and Marantz SACD/DVD player connected to both the AVR and 2220B) hooked to Imperial 6 speakers. It simply blows me away every time I turn it on. I listen to it for hours every day. I paid close to retail for the serviced receiver but the speakers were snagged for $50, the TT for $25 and the SACD for $40. It just works so perfectly together.

23799943_1714900765196530_2335434080241608268_o.jpg
Man, that set up is beautiful. I stared this thread cuz I’m convinced you don’t have to break the bank to have some really cool, quality vintage gear.

Man, that set up is beautiful. I stared this thread cuz I’m convinced you don’t have to break the bank to have some really cool, quality vintage gear.

It takes work, time and luck to find things at good prices. I check CL and Facebook Marketplace every day and almost the same with Ebay. I also hit thrift stores at least once a week......right now they are practically drowning in CD/SACD players and changers of surprisingly good quality.

The bedroom pieces (not all hooked up) took about year to find. I have met a group of people through CL and Facebook that look for and buy and sell vintage gear and I keep in touch with them and sell and buy and trade with them as well. The most I have paid for any speaker was $60 for the Realistic Nova 6s in the pic below but they look like they came out of the boxes. The receivers I got between $25- 70, all working.

Just keep at it.

22886237_1696213653731908_5350047775291064184_n.jpg

It takes work, time and luck to find things at good prices. I check CL and Facebook Marketplace every day and almost the same with Ebay. I also hit thrift stores at least once a week......right now they are practically drowning in CD/SACD players and changers of surprisingly good quality.

The bedroom pieces (not all hooked up) took about year to find. I have met a group of people through CL and Facebook that look for and buy and sell vintage gear and I keep in touch with them and sell and buy and trade with them as well. The most I have paid for any speaker was $60 for the Realistic Nova 6s in the pic below but they look like they came out of the boxes. The receivers I got between $25- 70, all working.

Just keep at it.

22886237_1696213653731908_5350047775291064184_n.jpg
I agree. Over the past few years of looking for gear I made the same discovery you did that there is a “network” if you will of like minded folks and getting plugged in with them was a big help

I run an OPPO 93 into a Rotel RX1050 from the rack in my living room. Then there are at least 3 different splices of 3 different speaker wires and gauges running to crawlspace, then between the ceiling 50 feet to my family room to drive a pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s that reside in corner cabinets of built ins on each side of the fireplace. The built ins provide what appears as a larger speaker cabinet creating more bass than if out in the room. There is also a big sweet spot that creates the feeling that you are right in the middle of the stage and performance. This is actually my tertiary setup and also drives outdoor speakers on the patio.

IMG_1005.jpg

My Toshiba SA-620 always amazes me when I use it. It stood toe to toe with my SX-1250 for years in the den and stood up well for itself. It is now slated for my workroom system with the Big Onk, Sansui 9900zdb and a speaker system consisting of a pair of TimeWindows, CX-17s and my recent thrift store find of a nice JBL sub. The Toshiba only cost $5 at the flea market many years ago.
I found my SA-620 at the flea market too, it costed me $25, I had it for a while now, but I just cleaned it up and put it to work with a dual turntable that also found at the flea market for $15, they sound great together, the phono stage of the Toshiba is one of the best I have heard on a receiver. I have my Heresy Is hooked up to it, and boy it sounds good. I may just need to find me a decent tube buffer to enhance the sound a little.

Do you have system that is a “sleeper”? One that at first glance is not the most expensive, not the most pleasing to the eye, but that amazes you every time you listen to it?
Yes. Attached to my home desktop computers (a Windows machine for games, a Mac Pro for everything else) is a Harman/Kardon HK6100 and a pair of Technics SB-CS5 bookshelf speakers. By all rights, it should be musically rather mediocre -- though fine, as intended, for computer audio -- so I'm always surprised how good it does sound with music.

Though long gone (15 years now), a Yamaha RX-730 receiver, Sony CDP-570 player and a pair of KEF Corinas. Bought them at a yard sale for $15. Didn't expect much, but boy, did they work well together. The first person who saw them here was surprised I had a receiver running instead of separates. After listening to a couple discs, they offered me $200 for the setup.

Didn't intend to sell them, but...

I've got a little Pioneer SA-520 going through some DCM TF-400s that sounds great. Add a sub and it becomes even better.

Back
Top Bottom