My first Marantz 2226B (Help with knobs, please?)

Sethbramwell

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I finally scored my first piece of Marantz equipment, a 2226B, for 3.99 at my local GoodWill Clearance Center. I've been slowly working on cleaning it up and fixing little problems and for the most part it's working much better now. I used DeOxit on all the pots and gave everything a good cleaning, also rebuilt the AM antenna as it's wand casing was split open (wound up wrapping it tightly in electrical tape to get it back to form, but it works).

Here's how she looked before:
IMG_6294.JPG IMG_6295.JPG IMG_6296.JPG
And after cleanup, new LEDs, and some fresh paint on the bonnet:
IMG_6302.JPG IMG_6303.JPG IMG_6305.JPG
My question for anyone who can help: Does anyone have a source for replacement knobs? I've been searching eBay and it seems a few turn up every now and then, at ridiculous prices.

Wow, great job at saving that poor receiver ! Yes, knobs do turn up on eBay, but I'm afraid after what you paid for the whole receiver the price of one knob will seem ridiculous :D !

Good luck which the search !

Thank you! I pretty much figured that the knobs being expensive would just be a part of the game, but I wasn't sure what was typical price range. Those two part knobs seem to go for between $30 and $60 a piece from what I found.

That sounds about right for those knobs. No one makes reproductions, so the supply is limited to parted out units. Good luck in your search. That one's worth fixing for sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I have a Fisher Futura 202 receiver sitting in the wings that's partially working. I may cut the project and sell it to offset the cost of the knobs.

Last edited:
May I ask what your process was for cleaning the inside of that? I recently picked up my first Marantz too and the inside looks almost identical as far as dirt, grime, dust.

I started with a vacuum cleaner hose with a brush attachment and ran it lightly over the circuit boards to get the major stuff. Next I used some canned air to blow out more. Lastly I used a rag and some rubbing alcohol very sparingly applied to break up the dust and grime that the first two methods hadn't gotten. After that I hit it with the canned air again to make sure everything was dried out.

My first impression from the discoloration on the faceplate was that the unit had come from a smoker's house, but thankfully I have not run into that stale cigarette and smoke smell with this. I've cleaned way too many electronics that suffered from that and it's always a pain. If you are dealing with that problem I suggest a mix of white vinegar and distilled water sprayed onto a rag and gently wipe down to help neutralize the odor. Good luck! I would love to see pictures.

Here is a couple pics of the new gear. Traded someone a backpack blower for this.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4111.jpg
    IMG_4111.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 39
Are your knobs smooth or do they have little tiny flat sections on them? The non-Bs are smooth and I think the B models have the little flats. I have box of old knobs so maybe I can help you out.

Craig

I want to say they have the little flat sections around the edge but I'm not positive. I'll be sure to take a look when I get home. Thanks so much!

I think I can come up with a full set of smooth knobs if the tone shafts on the B model are "D" shaped.

I think I can come up with a full set of smooth knobs if the tone shafts on the B model are "D" shaped.

Oh, I misunderstood what you were talking about. Yes the shafts are D shaped on the tone controls. If you could that would be fantastic. Please feel free to message me and let me know any details. Thank you!

At first I was asking about the tiny flats on the outside of the knobs which I think go with the "B" models. The non "B" models have smooth knobs. Then I was asking about the type of shafts "D" shape or not. I can provide a full set of smooth "D" knobs.

UPDATE: Thanks to the help of llwhtt, Here she is, cleaned up with new knobs! After a few eBay slip ups, I'm probably in about 150-160 bucks, but I have to say I'm happy with it!
IMG_6315.JPG IMG_6316.JPG

Nice job! Is that with new LEDs or new lamps?

New LEDs behind the meters and tuner dial. I wasn't brave enough to attempt replacing the burned out incandescent stereo light as it seemed like I'd have to pull the hole tuner string assembly and I simply wasn't that confident LOL. The tuner indicator is also still its original incandescent bulb but that one was working fine.

Back
Top Bottom