Can someone explain the difference between New Posts and Recent Posts?

Hyfi

Addicted Member
I just don't get it.

If I create a brand new thread and post it, then click on New Posts, it does not show up. But if I click on Recent Posts, it does.

If I create a brand new post, why is it NOT a New Post?

I think New is one that you have not yet viewed/read, while Recent is simply a sort by most recently posted whether already viewed or not.

It is threads like this that make me wonder about things, like why do we say "brand new" instead of just "new?"

This is what I discovered.

In Old English, the word "brand" carried the meanings of "fire, flame; firebrand, a piece of burning wood, torch". The word "brand" comes from the Germanic languages (and Old English was still very much part of the Germanic family) and is still commonly used in modern Dutch and German to mean "fire".

The meaning of "brand new" is thus, as also noted by the Online Etymology Dictionary, "fresh from the fire". I presume the term originally referred to items produced by a smithy, which were molded and tempered by the heat of a fire.

Thanks, that was helpful to have a brand new perspective

Ya, kinds seems like it makes tracking (without notifications) my own threads a little difficult, but no big deal.

BTW, I think the new site is fantastic - and have you guys noticed the speed? Wicked fast.

Now, if I could find a way to filter the "happy birthday" threads out of my lists, that would be great. I think someone is just trying to boost their post count with them.

I think New is one that you have not yet viewed/read, while Recent is simply a sort by most recently posted whether already viewed or not.

^^^This.

If you "Mark Forums Read" the "New Posts" list will be empty, while the "Recent Posts" will not.

Now, can anyone tell me why I can't see a "Recent Posts" button?

If you are looking to view responses to one of your posted threads, or a thread that you have posted to, all you need to do is go to the drop-down menu under your user name at the top right corner of the screen and click on Your Content, and it will show you every thread you have started or posted to by time/date.

Now, if I could find a way to filter the "happy birthday" threads out of my lists, that would be great. I think someone is just trying to boost their post count with them.

Being a member since 2011, surely you're aware of the birthday threads being started by the late Mulester7 aka Ronnie. When he was scheduled to go in for back surgery, he knew he wouldn't have the ability to continue the threads. He asked Chris aka HarmanKardon to fill in for him while he recovered.

If the birthday threads are that much of a bother to you, just put him on ignore. Or we could have @HarmanKardon put you on ignore.

Last edited:
The Alerts are also odd. If I post in a thread or view it, I see alerts from next poster, but if I ignore that alert, I won't get another if someone else posts to same thread. Then out of nowhere, I will get alerts from a 2 year old thread that I posted to once 2 years ago.

Consistently Inconsistent

Don't you first have to click New Posts in order to see the Recent Posts link?

I’m not sure. I know my way around the Xenforo forum software, being a mod on 3 forums that use it, so I’ve been looking for a Recent Posts button and never found it. Right now, I think it’s a Safari thing because I looked at the forum on Firefox earlier and saw it immediately, but couldn’t log in. I need to look a bit more and see what’s going on. I use my alerts to find the threads I post in so it’s not a huge deal.

I’m not sure. I know my way around the Xenforo forum software, being a mod on 3 forums that use it, so I’ve been looking for a Recent Posts button and never found it. Right now, I think it’s a Safari thing because I looked at the forum on Firefox earlier and saw it immediately, but couldn’t log in. I need to look a bit more and see what’s going on. I use my alerts to find the threads I post in so it’s not a huge deal.

I'll rephrase my previous question-like response.

With either IE 11, Chrome, or Firefox, I must click "New Posts" in order to see a "Recent Posts" link.

I'll rephrase my previous question-like response.

With either IE 11, Chrome, or Firefox, I must click "New Posts" in order to see a "Recent Posts" link.

I'm back on my computer now, so I can have a look. On Safari, clicking New Posts doesn't give a link. It just takes you to the list of new posts. There is no drop down arrow, which would indicate a set of options. Soon as I've figured out my password, I'll log on the forum using Firefox, so I can see if the behaviour is any different.

OK. I'm stupid. THANK YOU very much. I've been looking for that for close to a year. Somebody shoot me.

I use Recent Posts as a saved favorite place on my bookmarks tool bar (Firefox). My post will be at the top of the list. Because of issues with fine muscle control and meds, it is convenient method to take a look at my posts and error correct.

I understand. I like being able to see the posts. I just scroll through the list and check the threads that seem interesting. This makes it easy to not miss a thread that I might have interest in in addition to being able to check my posts.

Back
Top Bottom