Cellphone photos. Caught anything interesting lately? Post em!

We were in the National Presbyterian Church in DC yesterday - basically its their national Cathedral.
We were there for a meeting but I popped into the worship space to see it because I like churches.
Its a big space - seats 1450 people, and they have a 7000 pipe organ.
I was reading about the pipe organ today and found pictures of the pipes hidden behind curtains behind the altar.
I have some Cds of their pipe organ I got a couple years back ...
More info on the Pipe organ here -
http://wrestlers.nationalpres.org/Organ3/photo_tour/photos2.htm
Anyway, the lights were off and it was an overcast day, but ... those long stained glass windows were 31 foot tall! Just amazing jewels!
I can only imagine what it must be like on a sunny Sunday morning!
Oh, the Altar and front area was all white marble - the tables and pews were gorgeous walnut
(I think - or maybe dark teak) and looked like scandanavian carved furniture ...
The wood ceiling in the first picture was designed to remind you of the ribs of Noahs ark, upside down, indicating shelter.

I sang a bit to get an idea of the space and the acoustics were just amazing ...

NatPresb-ceiling_4962.jpgstainedGlass_4944.jpg Architecture_4940.jpg

Last edited:
We were in the Nation Presbyterian Church in DC yesterday - kind of their national Cathedral.
We were there for a meeting but I popped into the worship space to see it because I like churches.
Its a big space - seats 1450 people, and they have a 7000 pipe organ - I was reading about the pipe organ today and found pictures of the pipes hidden behind curtains behind the altar.
Lights were off and it was an overcast day, but ... those long stained glass windows were 31 foot tall! I can only imagine what it must be like on a sunny Sunday morning!

View attachment 1046528View attachment 1046529 View attachment 1046530
Wow!

There were some extra pipes up in the balcony in the back of the room - I would tweak the image in photoshop to help you see them, but thats against the rules of this thread.
Anyway, all these images are directly out of my iPhone.
You can't quite tell in this image, but some of the pipes are laying down horizontally, pointed forward towards the altar!

BackPipes_4961.jpg

View towards GG bridge from Mission&Fremont, 34th floor.

View attachment 1055060
Is that near Embarcadero Center? The view seems vaguely familiar but I don't recall the street names.. I worked in those 4 towers as an electrician back in the mid 80's. Have not been back to S.F. since..
Ah, answered my own question, the bldgs I worked in was just a few blocks north of where this photo was. No wonder it looked familiar.

Interesting looking golf ball. . Most of the ones I have checked out were geodesic domes. That one looks like lat lon lines on a globe. It looks like it certainly has a hell for stout foundation!
There's an identical one about 500' away that's the backup. Internally there's a directional VHF array that follows a Low-Earth-Orbit (LEO) satellite as it traverses the sky above.

Back
Top Bottom