Who's listening online? And with what?

Pandora - "Gil Evans Radio." Some Gil, some Ellington, some other stuff I recognize but can't name off the top of my head. The Sonos Play:1s sound especially good tonight.

s.

Pandora - "Gil Evans Radio." Some Gil, some Ellington, some other stuff I recognize but can't name off the top of my head. The Sonos Play:1s sound especially good tonight.

s.
Will have to check It out. He famously worked with Miles Davis and Helen Merrill, far more obscurely with Marcy Lutes.

Ah, you know your Gil. It's a custom channel I made, though I would think anyone doing likewise would get similar results. I like everything he did until he started incorporating rock elements, which I think made graceful music...awkward.

s.

Roberta Gambarini & Hank Jones / You Are There

Tidal Hi-Fi -> QUAD ESL-63s via Sonos Direct Control

IMG_20171126_134322.jpg

Listening to my Chill Mix on Apple Music...via Bluetooth and Sangean Radio. Currently playing Sting's "The Pirate Bride".

Taking a break from playing vinyl. Pandora "Bud Powell Radio" (custom channel) through a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi Core player, connected to my Logitech server software on an antique Mac Mini. The RP is hooked up to a HRT music streamer/DAC, out to a "Technolink" pre-amp, then to a Trends T-amp and finally PSB B25 speakers. Not awful.

All of it controlled either off my phone using third party "Squeeze Control" app or off the Linux laptop I'm currently using, logged into server.

s.

Started with Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus and now listening to the playlist created by the Don't Stop The Music plugin for LMS. Currently listening to Joe Henderson Inner Urge from the album Big Band.

Lenovo K230 running LMS >> Pogoplug V4 running Squeezelite >> Schiit Modi DAC >> Schiit Sys passive pre amp >> Magnavox 9306 amp >> Dual LS205EB speakers

Started with Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus and now listening to the playlist created by the Don't Stop The Music plugin for LMS. Currently listening to Joe Henderson Inner Urge from the album Big Band.

Lenovo K230 running LMS >> Pogoplug V4 running Squeezelite >> Schiit Modi DAC >> Schiit Sys passive pre amp >> Magnavox 9306 amp >> Dual LS205EB speakers

So, I'm mildly confused by how you're set up. Are you using the laptop to not only run LMS but control the Pogoplug as well? (I would assume directly from the LMS interface...)

s.

On the Sonos Play:1s, Pandora custom channel, "Benny Carter Radio." So far, Mr. Carter followed by Johnny Hodges. Hard to argue with.

s.

So, I'm mildly confused by how you're set up. Are you using the laptop to not only run LMS but control the Pogoplug as well? (I would assume directly from the LMS interface...)

s.
The "laptop" (K230) is actually an old desktop with a Core Duo CPU which runs LMS. It is headless and uses Ubuntu for its operating system. The pogoplug has been hacked to run Arch Linux for its OS and it runs squeezelite (the player software). I can control the Pogoplug by using the squeeze commander app on my smartphone and tablet or from any computer on the network using the LMS web UI. That is how the office system works.

My main system is similar but instead of the pogoplug, I am using an old netbook that is running Linux Mint and squeezelite.

The "laptop" (K230) is actually an old desktop with a Core Duo CPU which runs LMS. It is headless and uses Ubuntu for its operating system. The pogoplug has been hacked to run Arch Linux for its OS and it runs squeezelite (the player software). I can control the Pogoplug by using the squeeze commander app on my smartphone and tablet or from any computer on the network using the LMS web UI. That is how the office system works.

My main system is similar but instead of the pogoplug, I am using an old netbook that is running Linux Mint and squeezelite.

Ah. got it. The netbook - how do you come out of it? To a DAC? Also, I think of Pogoplugs as being sort of the ancestors to RPs (not really, not at all in terms of the architecture, but they were an early example of low power device that could be turned to a specific task). How long has this one been running?

I'm amazed and delighted by the continuing life the Squeezebox platform has. I'm running LMS on a Core Duo Mac Mini that uses OS X 10.6.8 as its underlying OS, but can still run the most recent build of LMS.

s.

Last edited:
Ah. got it. The netbook - how do you come out of it? To a DAC? Also, I think of Pogoplugs as being sort of the ancestors to RPs (not really, not at all in terms of the architecture, but they were an early example of low power device that could be turned to a specific task). How long has this one been running?

s.
I come out of the netbook via USB to the Behringer UCA202 and out of its optical port to the HiFime Optical 9018 DAC. The Beringer is a DAC too but its DAC is not being used. Unfortunately I am limited to 16/48 by using this configuration even though the HiFime can play 24/192. My Hi-rez files will play so they must be downsampled some where along the line.

I think I had the pogoplug for 5 years now. When I bought it, the Pi was already out but the pogo was cheaper than the Pi and I didn't mind doing a small project. It has run since then without a problem. I have two Pis so I am familiar with them. PiCoreplayer has made the RPi child's play to set up now if you want an audio player/server.

I have two Pis so I am familiar with them. PiCoreplayer has made the RPi child's play to set up now if you want an audio player/server.

I've been running Linux on and off since the 0.99 release (my wife still hasn't forgiven me for downloading a lot of floppy images from AOL, very, very slowly) and even though it's gotten so much easier to use, I was delighted by how simple it was to set up the Pi to use PiCorePlayer.

s.

I come out of the netbook via USB to the Behringer UCA202 and out of its optical port to the HiFime Optical 9018 DAC. The Beringer is a DAC too but its DAC is not being used. Unfortunately I am limited to 16/48 by using this configuration even though the HiFime can play 24/192. My Hi-rez files will play so they must be downsampled some where along the line.

6daae548613051.589ca0e6be96d.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom