External phono stage better than YAMAHA A-S2000 phono stage

steppen

Hi dear anyone experienced another phono stage better than the present in A-S2000?
Not too expansive like Musical fidelity, Project , Vincent, Cambridge audio ?

thanks in advance

I would try the phono stage in the A-S2000. Honestly I doubt you will get much better for any less than 200 - $300. A decent phono stage isn't expensive to build into an amp unless you want that last 7% or so of perfect SQ. Even stand alone models, Like my $120 MM/MC Tonar-Vinyline (AKA - Project Phono Box) does an excellent job. As the AS-2000 is one of Yamaha's higher end amps, I would expect it too will do a fine job.

The biggest advantage of a separate Phono preamp is it will allow you to move the TT much farther from the amp using the phono preamps RCA output instead of the cartridge. Especially if you are using a low output MC cartridge.

Last edited:
Thanks Charles. I use a ortolan 2M blue in my Yamaha and I like it a lot.
The next step is to use a MC cartridge to test.
cheers

That's a fine combo. I use a Nagoaka MP 11 cartridge on a vintage Pioneer TT.

Nagoaka cartridge's manage to extract the finest details on old and new LP's while suppressing surface noise. You might try their MP110 or MP200 when you have worn out your Ortofon 2M Blue.

Last edited:
I would think the phono stage in the yamaha will be pretty good.
Ma be a project tube box would be an option but I don't think it will be cheep to get better than what's in the as2000.

I want to try the Nagaokas on my setup also, maybe the 2M blue are an analitical cartdrige. Maybe MP110. The MP 200 and 300 are too expansive for now.
My wish list for the MC´S are Denon DL110 and Denon DL-103 (low output).

Thank´s for the comments guys,

How about Vincent PHO-700 a tube phono preamp ?
Anyone?
Well, at about $700 for a new Vincent, you are moving into a fine tube phono stage. It has a great reputation, but you might only be getting a small improvement, other than changing from Solid State to tube. The A2000 is no slouch, so it will take some coin to better the performance. I guess you are willing to spend the money, if you are looking at a Vincent.

Yamaha phono pre amps are always very good to excellent and the A-S2000 is excellent. If you want to spend more money then get a better cartridge instead like a Grado Red (same price as your Blue but better performance) or Nagaoka mp110(Nagaoka mp150 for the win). I would also recommend a good vintage turntable that has a better tonearm with more adjustments than the Carbon Debut and better speed control (wow and flutter).

Thank you guys. I decided to upgrade my cartdrige first there is very good options.
And save the money rsrsr

The A-S2000 phono stage is excellent - as long as the cartridge is a good match. The MC input impedance is fixed and unfortunately rather low (50 Ohms). This might be OK for some Ortofon cartridges. Other carts requiring a load of ≥ 100 Ohms, like the Denon DL301 might sound a bit lifeless. The same applies with MM input capacitance (200pF).

Looking yamaha MM and MC specifications i saw that’s hard to beat. Signal noise and THD are very good.
Thank sinto advance.

Back
Top Bottom