is the Denon Tu-800 a super tuner ?

PabloTincho

I am thinking about getting a Denon Tu-800, the only problem I see is that the Denon in not ranked in the FMtunerinfo website, I already have a Hitachi Ft-5500 MK2. What do you guys think? or should I get a tuner in the top 10 or get the Denon ?

my other options are the Kenwood KT- 990D or the 5020, any comments

I am thinking about getting a Denon Tu-800, the only problem I see is that the Denon in not ranked in the FMtunerinfo website, I already have a Hitachi Ft-5500 MK2. What do you guys think? or should I get a tuner in the top 10 or get the Denon ?

my other options are the Kenwood KT- 990D or the 5020, any comments

Looks like it's quite a tuner. Review here.

I can highly recommend the both Kenwoods you listed. Probably the 5020 over the KT-990D. The Denon is no slouch, but not sure I'd put it the top ten list.

Isn't the KT-990D supposed to be the same tuner as the KT-7020, which was regarded as superior to the 5020 according to TIC? It gets a bit confusing with these Kenwoods.

I can vouch for the Denon TU-800; it is an excellent tuner. I think it was a competitor to the Onkyo T-9090 MkII.

I can highly recommend the both Kenwoods you listed. Probably the 5020 over the KT-990D. The Denon is no slouch, but not sure I'd put it the top ten list.

What are the top ten best tuners for you ? thanks, I would love to heard opinion

The Denon is very good. Just off the top of my head, here are some I have found sounded better, but keep in mind with "as found" tuners there is a huge random variable, condition:

Akai AT-93
Revox B-160 (Best I have heard if you want accuracy and transparency)
Yamaha T-85
NAD 4300 and clones (DBX and at least one other)
Meridian 204

If you are open to analog tuners the Mits DA-F20 is sublime, other great sounding ones are Luxman T-110, H/K Citation 15, Akai AT-2600, Yamaha CT-1010 (very refined sound, very mediocre signal pulling capacity).

Hey
You might look into a tu 850 . Big and a face only a mother could love but very well thought of.
There was 2 of them on the ebay last time I looked . No affiliation. Eric

FMTunerinfo did not mention the really out of class Pioneer F26 and F28 and even the superb Sansui TU9900 is not in the list. So don't worry about your very capable Denon..

I already have a Hitachi Ft-5500 MK2 modded , is the Denon better ?

At my location it easily beat a Hitachi MD-5500 (aka FT-007 aka midi-sized 5500 MkII) in both sound and reception. The selectivity and sensitivity of the TU-800 in particular was noticeably superior.

What is the consensus on the shootout ? my goal is to have one of the best tuner ever without spending a fortune

Isn't the KT-990D supposed to be the same tuner as the KT-7020, which was regarded as superior to the 5020 according to TIC? It gets a bit confusing with these Kenwoods.,

Actually did a shoot out at my place with a 5020 and a 990D, Very close, but the 5020 was better, also doesn't have some some of the problems I've seen with a 990D, which the detector daugter board seems to have issues with nearby lighting strikes, I've had to repair a couple with similar problems. Never seen a 7020, So can't comment on it being the same as a 990D, not mentioned in the 990D service manual and don't have time to find a 7020 and compare the two.

I have a Sansui TU-X711 (electronically identical to the TU-X701) ranked 15 on that somewhat quirky shootout (Sansui TU-919 better than TU-X1? - get the TU-X1 aligned and listen again!). My TU-X711 has now been extensively modded (details on the FMTunerInfo forum), and sonics come close to the extremely expensive insanely wonderful modded Sansui TU-X1 I used to own. My modded TU-X711 is certainly one of the best sounding tuners I've ever heard.

Why do I mention it? It uses very similar design ideas and the same ICs as the Denon TU-800. The stock Denon TU-800 is supposed to sound better than a stock TU-X701. So, if you are looking for a super tuner and have access to a Denon TU-800, buy it and mod it. It will blow your Hitachi out of the water.

I tried a stock Hitachi MD-5500 (midi-sized FT-5500 MkII) and the Denon was streets ahead in both sonics and reception. Of course, as always YMMV.

I got one for $95 on eBay, I did not get to see the tuner, it went straight to my guy for a update and alignment.

Back
Top Bottom