Taking time to clean my styli

nkorah

I'm cleaning my styli every 2-3 records using the carbon brush of the records, and checking them up close with a X30 len, but from time to time, they're starting to "collect" more surface noise, and some closer look and attention is needed. Usually, I'm doing this every 6 months, or so.

The Audio Technica Mono 3/lp - Quite unbelievable the it managed to "plow" through this -

38137202804_40a334c034_o.jpg

Now it's clean and showing how simple a stylus it actually is. Yet in the right context, it sounds great -

37965988135_5015123c50_o.jpg

Next is the Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE at the tip of my 881S. Actually looks quite clean -

38137213594_6a40fbe2b5_o.jpg

Look at the differance - it sounds it too. Much less surface noise. Also note the cleaning brush fiber, left behind. No way I would have noticed it without the scope -

37965996815_0a8bdcd49e_o.jpg

Now it's really clean. Looks a bit plebeian, but sounds surprisingly good. I'm doing most of my everyday listening with this one.

37965996985_6ec168fb84_o.jpg

And finally, the Grado 8MZ. I don't like to take a close look at it, since I'm always disappointed. didn't it use to be a nude diamond?

38137197844_9a8c7ae8aa_o.jpg

Cleaning is done with the Denon supplied stylus brush, moist with some IPA, and a lot of patience :)

Going to listen to some music now - Cheers!

Time to dip it in Zerodust I guess. Also what kinda lens/camera you used to get detailed pics.

IPA means Indian Pale Ale? (I'm half joking but is it a 70, 90 or 100% formula of denatured Alcohol?)

it's a 95% pure solution, but I'm quite certain Indian Pale Ale will do just as well :beerchug:
Actually, I've tried once cleaning a Stylus with French Cognac and it worked great.

IPA means Indian Pale Ale? (I'm half joking but is it a 70, 90 or 100% formula of denatured Alcohol?)
IPA would not need to be denatured as it is unfit for human consumption. That step is for ethanol good drinking alcohol for those that enjoy that sort of thing.

I'm using this Chinese toy, some patience and some practice ;)

QUOTE]
Could you post a link to the scope, or at least MFG. and/or source. It looks like a USB microscope, but I have not seen that one before. Thanks in advance.

Nice write-up and pics......would appreciate more information on the microscope used, as in brand, power etc. Tried to search the web for one like it but did not come up with anything although some were similar-looking. Thank you.

I have one of those scopes.... just beware that getting one with good drivers is touch and go. If on linux or Mac you'll be SOL. Mine, works but no good drivers for Win 10 and now doesn't since I'm on the Insider program using betas for the next release in 2018.

funny story. i have an smmc3 stylus bought new from soundsmith a few months back that i’ve cleaned with a dry brush. just got a zerodust, looked at the stylus with the magnifying lid, dipped stylus in zerodust, and when i looked with the magnifyer again my stomach friggin sunk. the diamond had come off in the zerodust plastic. then i looked again and could just see a very clear clean diamond on the cantilever. huge relief and great sounds ensued. i may not be the sharpest diamond in the mine. :bigok:

Last edited:
Every time I come on this bloody website, all I end up doing is pulling out my credit card.

Now I have a USB microscope on the way.

Wonder what else I can magnify with it.....

Back
Top Bottom