Keep Santa Paula & Ventura CA in your thoughts!

HyKlas

The town we call home, Ventura CA, is part of a 31,000 acre blaze. My thoughts are already going out to those who've lost, the number of structure fires are mounting quickly.

The soundtrack is surreal. Like war... Helicopters flying, gas explosions, it's chaos.

I live right up this road here and it's getting worse by the minute... The family is safe and that's what's most important.

20171205_044325.jpg

Its a nervous time of the year in SoCali,... all of Cal.
wildfire-1-rt-er-171205_4x3_992.jpg

I love living in a more rural remote area, like Fallbrook. But this time of the year is always worrisome.
Good luck to our neighbors to the north over these days.

The family is safe and that's what's most important.
I'm glad you guys are safe! The smoke from this fire was especially thick in the San Fernando Valley on this morning's drive to work.
I'll be praying for cold temps, no winds and a good dose of rain to help our brave firefighters snuff out the blaze.

Stay safe!

I was just talking to a friend who lives over on Livingston in Ventura and he said that they were safe, but this is really bad!

No rain in our (So Cal) forecast for weeks..... high pressure system bringing warm weather and wind. Fires in December are extremely rare if not unheard of. We have lost power on and off (mostly off) since 10PM last night and are in heavy smoke. Smoke despite winds blowing the other direction from the fire yet it has enveloped us all. It is supposed to be very cold and windy tonight. Into the 30's which is very cold for here. These fires that have begun to encroach on towns and cities (Santa Rosa, Ventura) are game changers. No longer can these be considered simply "wild fires" burning chaparral and brush.

Climate change can be argued over its possible causes and man's involvement but to deny it is upon is is asinine. Winters are supposed to be our cold and wet period between late Nov- late March.
0% chance of rain over the 10 day forecast here. Even as far north as wet Oregon there is no rain in forecast.

138 years of rainfall as measured in downtown El Lay.
Rainfall once again bouncing off lows going back a long time.
LA-rain.gif

And now this...... Just got email:

Boil Water Advisory is in Effect

Failure to follow this advisory could result in stomach or intestinal illness. Due to the fire and power outages, the State Water Resources Control Board, Division of Drinking Water, in conjunction with Ventura Water, are advising residents of Ventura located North of Poli Street and Foothill Road to use boiled tap water or bottled water for drinking and cooking purposes as a safety precaution. Do not drink the water without boiling it first. Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for one (1) minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking and food preparation until further notice. Boiling water is the preferred treatment method to assure that the water is safe to drink in these areas.

During and after an emergency, the Office of Emergency Services (OES) will coordinate response and recovery activities for Ventura County. OES staff will work with all County departments, United Way of Ventura County, the Red Cross, and other community civic groups to mobilize volunteers and direct them to the locations and organizations where they can do the most good during and after an emergency.

LA-rain.gif

Any chance you have a link and does that site have other charts or ways to move metrics? Would love to see how the 138 year avg has been moving, my guess is down the past 30 years or so.

Any chance you have a link and does that site have other charts or ways to move metrics? Would love to see how the 138 year avg has been moving, my guess is down the past 30 years or so.
Linear regression lines of long term charts are easy to find the trend.
Also drawing trendlines along lows or high indicate relative measurements.
multigraph3.png

Actually, late rain years (rain beginning in december) bring some massive rains immediately following the fires. Its like an evil trick; burned out, and then mud flows. I can think of any number of circumstances like that over the decades of living here (so.cal born and raised). Its a really cruel trick of nature, that commonly plays out. I almost expect to look for a severe fire season to lead off a wet year.

LA-rain.gif

We got lucky on this one. I'm sure it was due partly to the efforts of our brave fire fighters! It was very very close.

Some of our friends weren't so lucky... Just don't have words to describe the last 24hrs. It's absolutely awful.

Back
Top Bottom