McIntosh C22 III Reissue Thoughts

Bushikan

Hi, this is my first post. (I hope I'm doing it correctly.) I have a McIntosh C22 III, in combination with a McIntosh MC275 VI, MR78 tuner (Modafferi updated), vintage Denon TT and Denon 103, Oppo BDT 101CI, Grado GS-1000, and modified Klipschorns, with dedicated lines and mostly Audioquest cables. Everything has stock tubes.

I'm curious to discuss the C22 with others who own it, since I've seen very little out there besides the TAS review last year and a few assumptions posted asserting it's just like the C2300--which is not true. (I asked Ron at McIntosh and he assured me the C22 is completely different; he also said they are running low on a few parts for it and that it will probably be discontinued because of that; but that they will probably reissue yet a new one in a few years.)

The C22 and MC275 replaced my McIntosh C504 preamp and MC502 amp--'80s era SS equipment. (Before I go further, I compared the MC275 to the MC152 and MC240--on Klipschorns at Audio Classics. The MC240 was too dark for me. The 152's bass was punchier, deeper, and tighter, but the 275's bass was fuller, more natural, and more three-dimensional--less discotheque-thumping-exciting but more believable, especially with voices, stringed instruments, percussion, and piano.)

Back to the C22: I compared the C22 to a C2500, and found that the 22, though a tiny bit less full and liquid, was zippier and much more dynamic--like someone had just slapped the rear end of the horse I was riding--so much so that the salesperson brought in his boss to hear the very noticeable differences. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 2500, but it seemed sluggish compared to the C22, which had us tapping our feet. (Before I came in, neither salesperson had listened to the new C22, which had been merely on display and hadn't yet been turned on, and we all very much preferred it straight out of the box to the broken-in C2500.) This was on Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers with an MC275 and, I believe, an MCD550.

I've now lived with the MC275 for a year and a half and the C22 for a little over a year. I'm interested to hear others' opinions. I very, very much LOVE my beautiful new C22, with its dusk-light-blue illumination, on most material--especially vinyl with my MC cartridge. It is airy, natural, transparent, and silky. More often than not it has me swooning. I'm hearing instruments I'd never heard before, and nuances--on vocals, keyboards, percussion, strings, etc.--I never imagined were there, in familiar material. Nothing separates out. Everything is of a piece. I have not heard a better preamp in my system.

But, of course, in audio you rarely if ever just move up: with every trade up there are trade offs. And I've gone from SS to tubes... I sometimes find the C22, with some CDs, a little bit thin. The vocals, which used to be very forward and front-and-center--though now they are much more melodic and revealing--are not always as dynamic and seemingly "live" (that is: not as emotionally involving) as they were with my old Mac SS equipment. Granted, I'm listening on Klipschorns, which are extremely sensitive and temperamental.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you for listening.

Welcome to the forum!

I almost bought the C22 several times. :) But I am holding out for a C1100 or something new (full solid state version) if it happens soon.

Have you experimented with different/better tubes in the C22? You may love it more with a new set of tubes.

Last edited:
You might want to take a look at a pre-owned C500T. If you’re not to far from AC they have one in stock I believe. There would undoubtedly be some benefit to moving to a dual chassis fully balanced tube pre-amp. I have owned the original C22 and more recently a C2200 both of which I liked. I was recently in he market for a preamp and didn’t want a one box dac/pre and really wanted a balanced design to compliment my MC452 but as a digital only (just bought a TD124 ugghh) I felt $7000+ to use one input and the tubes /power supply was excessive.

@Bushikan Great first post by the way, love to hear from people passionate about their system and music and a warm welcome to my favorite Audio / McIntosh forum! I’m sure you’re goning to feel right at home here!! Nice setup too!! :music:

Ps. If you hadn’t considered it yet you might want to look at becomeing a subscriber, giving access to the members marketplace, nice gear, parts and media is regularly available within the AK community...(got my Thorens there his week :))

Thank you, Joe and Don. Tubes are stock. Someday I'll roll them. Will consider becoming a subscriber. Will hopefully audition the C500 and compare it to the C22 at some point (my brother has the C200/MC275 IV, and is tube rolling the 275 with Gold Lions, after he buys, puts them into, and then removes the Gold Lions from his stocking this Christmas). Although the C1100, which I've heard, is certainly something to consider--perhaps after the C1200(?) is announced...

Best,
Lance

Lance....
No brainer.....C22 for sure. Had one, and "upgraded" to the C1100. JMHO....the C22 was better. The C1100 was just a little quitieter, but the C22 was just as musical. Tone controls and loudness switch are just an added bonus. I ran my C22 with a MC275VI and Klipschorns.
Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with the C22, C500, C1100, or a used C2300. All are great pieces.
:)

Love that endorsement for the C22 reissue.

Lance....
No brainer.....C22 for sure. Had one, and "upgraded" to the C1100. JMHO....the C22 was better. The C1100 was just a little quitieter, but the C22 was just as musical. Tone controls and loudness switch are just an added bonus. I ran my C22 with a MC275VI and Klipschorns.
Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with the C22, C500, C1100, or a used C2300. All are great pieces.
:)

Welcome to AK and the mac forum Bushikan

The C22 and MC275 replaced my McIntosh C504 preamp and MC502 amp--'80s era SS equipment. (Before I go further, I compared the MC275 to the MC152 and MC240--on Klipschorns at Audio Classics. The MC240 was too dark for me. The 152's bass was punchier, deeper, and tighter, but the 275's bass was fuller, more natural, and more three-dimensional--less discotheque-thumping-exciting but more believable, especially with voices, stringed instruments, percussion, and piano.)

I've now lived with the MC275 for a year and a half and the C22 for a little over a year.

I'll assume here you tested these amps at home and the preamp you had at this time was the C504? because you got the C22 latter?
If you haven't yet and still have it you might want to try comparing the C22 & C504 with the system as you did with the power amps.

I sometimes find the C22, with some CDs, a little bit thin. The vocals, which used to be very forward and front-and-center--though now they are much more melodic and revealing--are not always as dynamic and seemingly "live" (that is: not as emotionally involving) as they were with my old Mac SS equipment.

Do the testing above and also remember not all recordings, and masterings are equal no matter what format.

I know this is Hersey but a Klipsch Cornerhorn voiced by a MEN 220 is a totally different speaker. The bass is faster and there is a more natural extension blow 50 HZ. Depending on which crossover you have and which tweeters you can get the smoothness of the T-35 Alnico tweeter with the extension of the latest tweeters with the titanium diaphragms. The Atlas driver was never my favorite mid driver however. But that said some of the mid drivers with ceramic magnets could be a little edgy or cold. Maybe thats why you prefer tubes. Using Rane and Urei room Eqs made a big difference for our customers in the 70,s 80's and 90's.

Though I love a C500T pre-amp, having tone controls and a Mode selector makes the C-22 III something to consider, if I decide to go back to tubes.
'

On the reissue C22, how easy is it to remove the cover and change / replace the 12ax7s? The user manual says the tubes can only be changed by a service technician. That seems kind of goofy. Why did they not make the tubes user serviceable? Is all that's required just to unscrew the cover?

Two screws on the top, two screws at the top of the back. Then two hex bolts on both sides. The sides will then fall off - be prepared and work on a soft surface. The top is then easily lifted. When you remove the top you'll see the tubes on a shock mounted rack. The bracket holding the tops of the tubes is secured by a screw on each side. Remove those and the bracket slides off.

Looking at it from the front of the preamp, the two left hand tubes are MM, the middle pair is MC and the right hand pair is the line stage.

So I've just finished my first evening with the C22. Played portions of 15 or so records. We used the stock tubes for a few records and then retubed it with tele smooth plates in both phono stages and a pair of NOS Tung Sol 7025 in the line stage. Tubes made a huge difference in tone, dimensionality and space.

Front end is a Basis 2001, Shelter 901 cartridge on a modified and rewired Rega RB250 arm. Tonight's amp was the MC275 VI, speakers were vintage Tannoy 10" in large cabinets. We mostly used the MC input, after experimenting found 500 ohms to be the best load. Occasionally we swapped to the MM input, using the EAR MC-3 step up. Presentation was much more forward and fleshy with the step up but some ringing occurred in upper register horns, etc.

Previous preamp is no slouch - an Air Tight ATC-1 with tele smooth and tung sol - same tube complement - that I have used every day for the last dozen years.

I have to echo the OP's positive comments about the C22. The C22 with stock tubes seemed mostly better than the ATC-1. The ATC-1 had the edge in tone and presence, while the C22 bested it in terms of noise, sound staging and clarity. Once we retubed it, there was no contest. All the records were familiar ones but we heard new nuances and details on everything - and sometimes it was not subtle. And the presence was astonishing - I've never heard the MC275 sound so alive.

The C22 had a rythmic sense and integrity that was different than anything I've heard. Music with complex rhythms, from Monk to Stravinsky were presented so cleanly and precisely - it was an exhilarating experience.

Perhaps it's the lower noise floor, perhaps the step up or the ATC-1 was blurring percussive rhythms all these years, but to have the tone and presence that I'm used to, coupled with the imaging, clarity and dark silence between the notes of the C22 was an absolute delight.

Tomorrow we are going to swap amps to my 300B which is much more lively, textural and focused than the MC275 (the typical SET sound) and run through the records again. I can't imagine what that's going to sound like.

On my system we found XLR to be tilted up relative to RCA, or RCA to be tilted down relative to XLR. Better clarity and detail with XLR, rounder fuller bass with RCA.

But this may be because of the first tube in the MC275 - I specifically put a Mullard CV4004 box plate in that spot to round out the MC275 sound a bit. Of course the XLR connections bypass that tube so that might be the difference.

Loving the C22 more and more after a long week of serious listening, comparisons and amp swaps. To be fair we got the Air Tight ATC-1 pretty close by swapping step up transformers, and it remains a tone, color and texture monster.

But compared to the C22 it lacked depth, ultimate rhythm and clarity and fell short delivering the clean undistorted volts needed to reproduce large orchestral and loud rock at scale volumes using all of my power amps.

The C22 is Just Spectacular on all those fronts. And the additional features and inputs push it further over the top.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom