Great "Every Day Carry" knives

You have a TON (probably literally) of really, really nice knives. When did you start collecting? And are you still buying? What are you buying these days?
ALWAYS liked knives, from the earliest times I can remember. Bugged my grandfather every time I saw him, until he gave me my first knife (a tiny 3-blade Stockman) when I was 9 (still got that knife, amazed that I never lost it after 60 years of use). Got my first fixed blade at 11, a Mora Swedish #1 steel blade with a rosewood handle, it accompanied me on many camping trips (still got that one, too !)
Got out of the military in `70, started collecting more seriously....Bucks, Gerbers, Pumas. Started going annualy to the New York Custom Knife Show when it first began, got to meet many of the top knifemakers (Phill Hartsfield came to dinner at my house once !). Bought, sold, and traded many customs and factory knives over the years, I go through spurts....sometimes I don`t buy anything for a couple of years, then I might buy 5 or 6 a year for a while. Back when I was an outside sales rep, I got paid expense money which I always banked on the side, always had a running slush fund over $1000 for those "special occasions". (I haven`t had that luxury in quite a while, I miss it)
My first two knives:
upload_2017-11-16_20-25-32.png
upload_2017-11-16_20-33-25.png

Addendum to my last post:
For me, the internet presented a whole new set of options....back in the late `90s, I discovered a site called Blade Auctions. Holy Crap....that place was like the Wild West, anything and everything got sold there. I spent a lot of dough on that forum. And one day, without warning, it was just GONE, never to be seen again....

That's a beauty!

-Dave
Thanks. I really like this model, and for a production knife it is impeccably made.

I spent a little time chasing and collecting custom knives, but I realized I was afraid to use them. Now I try to content myself with a few good production and mid-tech knives. I have to stay away from the knife forums to maintain that discipline!

And today`s selection from the Sharp `n Pointy department is:

the Crawford/Kasper Tactical Folder (a BAD mofo !), accompanied by a slightly more civilized SAK Officer....

Sharp looking knife. What model is that? Is it easy to flick open with the thumb stud?

-Dave

Hi Dave,
This was called the "Lightening", Model 170, it was a limited-production run from around 1997 or `98, you don`t see many of them around. Very cool little knife, smooth-operating and extremely sharp. Now considered a collectable.

Nice! I really want a Made in The USA Shrade/Old Timer folding lockback (largest size, two brass bolsters), theyve got all different names like bear paw, cub, etc depending on size. I was pricing them about a year or two ago and they seem to go for about $80. Ive got a large Shrade (I think their Old Timer brand) lockback with a partially serrated blade and a very large handle (plastic with rubber sides) that is very nice. As you mentioned your Grandpa gave you his Old Timer, so did mine (though my stepdad ended up with it thinking it was his). Probably one of the more affordable quality knives of the time. The softer plastic sides (Delrin?) are classic even though they are....plastic. I actually bought a set of the newer (China) Old Timers at Dicks for cheap and they appear to be of reasonable quality. The dimensions and construction of USA made and newer China Old Timers are slightly different. They definitely are not of the same quality as the older USA Shrade/Old Timer.
If I see anything for sale on the secondary market, I`ll pass it along to you....Happy Hunting !

I bought one of these about 6 months ago. Online seller had them for $16 shipped (from China) so I bit the bullet for science. What I got surprised me.

Great fit & finish, all stainless, G10 scales, shave sharp, holds edge, and solidly made. Opens with a wicked snap and zero play when it is. I can lose it and not feel bad -

778wCNI.jpg

I purchased one of these. There was a substantial price increase, it cost me $19.05 shipped from China. ;)
I got it in less then a week! Expedited shipping cost me 10 cents. I agree that it's surprisingly well made.

-Dave

I purchased one of these. There was a substantial price increase, it cost me $19.05 shipped from China. ;)
I got it in less then a week! Expedited shipping cost me 10 cents. I agree that it's surprisingly well made.

-Dave

That is still a great deal. Which site did you order from? I got mine of dhgate.com.

Back
Top Bottom