Does your Sansui have a 2 ohm rating?

Just had a quick look at the schematic, it does have 6 output devices per channel....400 watts @ 2Ω on a 70V rail..... they'd have to be pretty serious devices....

Interesting though...

Looks like predrivers, drivers, and two outputs per channel. I don't think I would even run 4 ohm speakers on it, it gets pretty warm with 8 ohm. Not sure how low the L100s dip.

Rob

102_5547_zps0f67cb14.jpg

Each output transistor is rated at 200w 17A.

Last edited:
Quite a few Sansuis have similar dynamic power ratings e.g.

AU-X901

225W into 8 ohms
390W into 4 ohms
410W into 2 ohms

AU-X701

175W into 8 ohms
260W into 4 ohms
320W into 2 ohms

B-2301

480W into 8 ohms
580W into 4 ohms
780W into 2 ohms

B-2102

320W into 8 ohms
510W into 4 ohms
680W into 2 ohms

I'd probably take a few of them with a grain of salt though, along with any ability to support 2 ohm loads reliably and for long periods of time.

Ah yes the MT200 transistors, they are pretty serious devices, my G7700 is a late model and has two per channel. There are also a few other amps I work on that have them too...
That amp probably can dip down to 2Ω I would not be surprised...

Quite a few Sansuis have similar dynamic power ratings e.g.

AU-X901

225W into 8 ohms
390W into 4 ohms
410W into 2 ohms

AU-X701

175W into 8 ohms
260W into 4 ohms
320W into 2 ohms

B-2301

480W into 8 ohms
580W into 4 ohms
780W into 2 ohms

B-2102

320W into 8 ohms
510W into 4 ohms
680W into 2 ohms

I'd probably take a few of them with a grain of salt though, along with any ability to support 2 ohm loads reliably and for long periods of time.

Interesting. I should check my AU-X711.

Rob

I see your 8 and raise you 12. :)

View attachment 1060148

Luxman M03 12 in total, 6 per channel. One channel pictured above.

I see your 12 and raise to 24. Maybe a bit too boutique to be in this contest but my old ME1400 (Australian amp designed by Peter Stein) presently in my avatar has 4 output transistors on each side of that blue headsink you can see at the back. And there are 3 levels of that for a total of 12 per channel. (the caps you see... there are two levels of those).

Isn't 'Dynamic Power' - just a posh way of saying 'Music Power' ? - which is an instantaneous peak power only achievable every now and again - and depends largely on how beefy the power supply is.

Show me amplifiers that can tolerate 2Ω loads continuously - then I'll get a bit more excited. :rolleyes:

Isn't 'Dynamic Power' - just a posh way of saying 'Music Power' ? - which is an instantaneous peak power only achievable every now and again - and depends largely on how beefy the power supply is.

Show me amplifiers that can tolerate 2Ω loads continuously - then I'll get a bit more excited. :rolleyes:

My pictured amp was rated into 1 Ohm - see a thread here with the brochure and specs - you will see "1 Ohm 1500 W. These figures are obtained continuously with both channels driven". 100 Amps continuous. 5.5kVA transformer (I know some guys were getting special power wiring into their house from the street). That thing was hard to move around by myself, but I got it up and down the stairs at the front of the house by myself a number of times when I was not knowledge enough to do my own biasing etc. Perhaps it comes as no surprise that the packaging for the amp is not a cardboard box, but a wooden crate!

I saw this model amp hooked to about 20 pairs of speakers in parallel at an audio show - no problemo. At that event I was told shorting the outputs continuously wouldn't kill it and one guy claimed to have tried it, but i can't vouch for that one.

There are others out there will similar capability, but mostly mega buck devices sadly like the bigger Krell etc, although if I remember correctly there was some Crown amps claiming similar capability.

Last edited:

You're no fun.:p

Rob

... At that event I was told shorting the outputs continuously wouldn't kill it and one guy claimed to have tried it, but i can't vouch for that one...

There was a rumour about ME welding with one of their amps driven by a sine wave- it may have been true, but there was a lot of bluster back in those days. :)

I wish specs sheets would also discuss reactive load handling

There was a rumour about ME welding with one of their amps driven by a sine wave- it may have been true, but there was a lot of bluster back in those days. :)
I heard that story too. I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.... ;). Actually I heard it from the guys at Reg Mills Stereo (R.I.P.) in Brisbane - might be true. Another story I heard was that one of their clients use to use the ME1400 at their beach house and mounted them under the floor boards exposed to the elements; apparently he would just buy new amps every couple of years! (the amp was almost AU$10k at the time)

I wish specs sheets would also discuss reactive load handling

I heard that story too. I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.... ;). Actually I heard it from the guys at Reg Mills Stereo (R.I.P.) in Brisbane - might be true. Another story I heard was that one of their clients use to use the ME1400 at their beach house and mounted them under the floor boards exposed to the elements; apparently he would just buy new amps every couple of years! (the amp was almost AU$10k at the time)
Similar welding stories on the Iverson E K Eagle amps. Probably others as well. My father taught welding, I don't believe any of them actually did that as he would define"welding".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom