Two McIntosh M60, radio receiver, switcher

Paulsim

A buddy sent me this picture. It was his dad's who passed away some time ago. I don't have the budget to be into McIntosh equipment so I am clueless on the value of these things. Those amps certainly caught my eye though. They look clean in the photo but I have not seen them in person and do not know of the condition or if they have been re-tubed or worked on. Heck I don't even know if they power up. I told him not to do that yet. I don't know when they were last used.

Any info on the value or any other info would be much appreciated. He says he is not interested in selling for sentimental reasons but would still like to know what he is dealing with.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2m60.jpg
    2m60.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 95
Keep that set together, you have better chance of getting 7.5k. Don't let anyone touch the vintage tubes either. They are worth a small fortune will go a long way towards getting your price.

As everything sits, assuming all original and needing refurbishment (which is highly likely)

MC60s - $1,500 ea. - $3,000
C20 preamplifier - $2,500
MR65B tuner - $500.

Would be worth a good bit more after restoration.

Last edited:
The chrome on those amps looks great. Caddy is low on his estimated for amps and tuner

Check ebay SOLD listings. Similar units selling for the same money or less than the values listed above some of those are professed to have been serviced as well. Have taken all factors into account, including condition of chrome in rendering evaluation. The estimates I provided are spot on.

Keep that set together, you have better chance of getting 7.5k. Don't let anyone touch the vintage tubes either. They are worth a small fortune will go a long way towards getting your price.
OEM Tubes are only of value if good to exc working cdx. Weak, gassy, or tubes with g1 emission problems not so much. Gear is shelf queens without tubes that allow it to meet spec as new.

OEM Tubes are only of value if good to exc working cdx. Weak, gassy, or tubes with g1 emission problems not so much. Gear is shelf queens without tubes that allow it to meet spec as new.

That's exactly what a huckster would say and then offer new (cheap Russian) tubes and a few bucks to do the seller a favor.

With gear that old and desirable, pricing becomes a range. If the tubes are strong and the gear currently functional (but in need of a refurb) then higher pricing is justified. But if things are wrong, and / or the tubes are bad or minimal, lower pricing is in order. If the gear hasn't been powered up in a while pricing gets more complicated. Once you hit 4 figures its a bit of a crap shoot unless you know the gear, the history, or you are close enough for a physical inspection.

You wouldn't say or do that, of course. The OP isn't savvy like you so if presented with a proposition, he might not say no.

MC60 does not run tubes hard so they are likely good. OP should keep vintage tubes with amp to maximize value.

You wouldn't say or do that, of course. The OP isn't savvy like you so if presented with a proposition, he might not say no.

MC60 does not run tubes hard so they are likely good. OP should keep vintage tubes with amp to maximize value.
For resale, yes. But do have them tested outside the gear, and the good ones returned for bench checking performance. Fwiw, the output tubes look like later tubular replacements to me, and not oem.
I assume they shipped with TungSol 6550 or Genalex KT88.

Wow - hard to believe there are still sets out there like this. Mid ‘60s set up - so his Dad only used it for 50 years or so ...

If the gear was used regularly and maintained, it all likely still works and produces great sound. OTOH, if the gear hasn’t been used in several years, discourage him from plugging it in to test.

TOTL for it’s time - just didn’t get much better.

Really great setup and looks it is in good condition.
Actually, MC60 are really from mid to end 50s so these are close to 60y old!
It is very true that vintage power tubes can bring some serious money but would need to be tested and sold as "matched" for higher price.

There's 3-4y how I got and restored my pair of MC60 and Genalex KT88 tubes were tested great. I removed them and safely stored them; they are replaced by Russian reissues.
I use these amps every day and they proved very reliable.
Regards,

I will get over there, probably after the holidays, and take a closer look. I know a guy I can take it to. I have an associate's degree in electronics but don't feel confident enough to mess with it. My instructor is old as dirt but knows his stuff. I solder guitar pedals together, vintage vacuum tubes are a bit over my head.

I think he said he bought in 1967 (might be wrong on this) and took good care of it. Original paper work, receipt, it even has a schematic with it. I didn't know the phone pre was that valuable. Is it solid state?

Last edited:
I will get over there, probably after the holidays, and take a closer look. I know a guy I can take it to. I have an associate's degree in electronics but don't feel confident enough to mess with it. My instructor is old as dirt but knows his stuff. I solder guitar pedals together, vintage vacuum tubes are a bit over my head.

I think he said he bought in 1967 (might be wrong on this) and took good care of it. Original paper work, receipt, it even has a schematic with it. I didn't know the phone pre was that valuable. Is it solid state?
Its all tube.

Back
Top Bottom