Puzzles ?

Beatnik

What's this ?
I've always liked tavern, blacksmith, entanglement type puzzles. The harder the better. Anyone else into these type things ? I just fought with this one for quite awhile.

20171111_182645.jpg

Finally figured out it was similar to this one but in a clever disguise. lol

20171111_184741.jpg

I just made this to try on a friend.

20171113_092638.jpg

? - I am pretty good at getting them apart, but have problems reassembling them. I must think backwards...

Does this make 3?

Yep me, I LIKE MUSICs like and you ! That's 3 now.

Yeah, sometimes the reassembly is harder, especially when there are more steps. If I pick one up I have a hard time putting it back down. lol

I can never figure them out. It takes me an hour just to untangle a garden hose. If I tried doing that puzzle, I'd end up like this guy.

x214.jpg

Sometimes I feel exactly like that. :) That's sort of the idea behind the chain one I made there. You definitely feel it's a tangled mess even knowing how to remove the ring.

Pick one up and mess with it for a while, put it down and pick it up again another day. I've got one right now hanging on a hook I haven't started yet, I'll just grab it soon walking by.

Picked this up at an antique mall, it was tagged as a whatsamacallit.

View attachment 1060732
That is a cabinet lock. Before cylinder locks existed, such devices were used to secure cabinets, chests, and the like. it took a few minutes to unlock this gizmo, and it made a bunch of noise while you did so.

With practice, I got down to under a minute, to lock, and under 30 seconds to lock. Very noisy, though.

For the heck of it, here's a few more I have.

20180107_182242.jpg

20180107_182657.jpg

That big wood one next to Robby robot is labeled Neiman Marcus.

I don't collect them but I do like them both mechanical, shape, & hidden compartment puzzles. The first shape puzzle I got was a gift called Soma like the one below.

I spent hours with it as there are a number of other shapes you can build other than the base cube. Have not done any in awhile though but still a fan.

0c35c3607d81d50e55e0af436659b77a.jpg

I'll take any I can get, really enjoy the challenge.

Here's the one I made as a finished product I gave as gifts.

View attachment 1086213

Very cool!

I always gravitate towards the shape puzzles. This one not mine (and I am amazed to find a pic of it) but I have one like it in different colors. It's ~1.00" in diameter & 5-6 pieces. When I was little there was a restaurant with a pirate's treasure chest full of giveaways at the exit. It was a real treat to go as I knew I could pic something. Mostly it was typical green soldiers, packs of barettes, etc. but one time I got the puzzle and it hooked me.

s-l225.jpg

I remember having multicolored plastic balls blocks etc when I was a kid, probably from the dime store. You got me looking and yeah, key chain puzzles like that I believe are what I had !

I've got a whole bunch of the little chrome wire ones like I had back then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom