Recording vinyl and tape to DSD?

I thought about a Focusrite. Biggest limitation I see is the inputs cannot track for both channels, you have to adjust each level independently. It should have a switch on the front to be able to do it either way. So that takes it off the plate as an option for my consideration.

I thought about a Focusrite. Biggest limitation I see is the inputs cannot track for both channels, you have to adjust each level independently. It should have a switch on the front to be able to do it either way. So that takes it off the plate as an option for my consideration.

I have a Focusrite Forte which I use for ripping my vinyls and r2r tapes. I don't mind adjusting each channel individually, but you can indeed tie the gain of the input channels together, using the Forte Control PC app. Just click the little button next to "link". Same can be done for speaker output channels and headphone channels.

Don't worry about DSD. 24/96 PCM is more than you will need for any r2r or vinyl, even 15ips 2-tracks. You don't even come close to running out of bit-depth.

gotcha. didn't know that model was looking at Focsurite 2i2. I'll keep this in mind. looking at a better product for more money used ( but won't get it if I find out it is country voltage dependent and cannot be converted easily....)

I have a Focusrite Forte which I use for ripping my vinyls and r2r tapes. I don't mind adjusting each channel individually, but you can indeed tie the gain of the input channels together, using the Forte Control PC app. Just click the little button next to "link". Same can be done for speaker output channels and headphone channels.

Don't worry about DSD. 24/96 PCM is more than you will need for any r2r or vinyl, even 15ips 2-tracks. You don't even come close to running out of bit-depth.

^^ This if you must go pro.

With the capabilities of standard lossless recording (particularly FLAC), and the complications and expesnse that arise from DSD, I'd choose lossless every time (and I do). Recording to FLAC is also cheap with a good ADC (like on a soundcard) and the free Audacity.

Else, really this. Easiest, simple, zero sonic difference.
Defacto best practice.

OPs friend that suggested he needs DSD to capture that analog depth is simply uneducated about how digital audio works and what tape can do. He lifts certain phrases and practices up into religious territory, which is very typical behaviour of, well, people thinking about magic instead of bits and bias. Per se I see no problem with that if it helps his creativity.

Don't forget that both tape and Vinyl have an RIAA equalization with vinyl having more types before standardization. You can record with and w/o but your playback software will have to have the equalization if you record w/o it.

Most r2r decks have the playback EQ built-in so you ideally just make sure your deck is calibrated and you don't need any external EQ. On r2r it is not RIAA, but NAB and IEC (there is IECII as well as IECI which = CCIR). For most US pre-recorded tapes this is NAB. For the older UK made tapes this is mostly CCIR. It is possible to post-EQ for correctly CCIR played back on an NAB calibrated deck and vice versa. (just PM me for details if ever needed).

Back
Top Bottom