ADS-910's

The ONLY capacitor that should really be changed on the 910's is the 90uF/100uF bi-polar electrolytic. I'm just being honest here, the HUGE metallized polypropylene caps with the loooooong wires that the person with barely a clue installed on Glenn's crossovers in place of these is absolutely ridiculous. All the other metallized polypropylenes shoe horned in are also very unnecessary IMNSHO.

I used Mundorf NPE, used 2 in parallel to reach 90uf

Hey 910 lovers & wannabees!
There's a pretty nice, COMPLETE (stands & badges) set of late 910's listed on fleabay. Take a look!

So I guess that answers my question. I should stick with a bi polar electrolytic for the 90uf / 100 uf cap replacement.
I'm pretty sure Ricard So recommended to me to usie two bi polar 50uf to replace my 100uf. I wouldn't want to try and quote Richards reasoning for using two half value caps instead of the one. Does any one else have a opinion on this?
2 caps instead of 1= speed.

Not sure either, just an assumption though perhaps shoukd have said that from the gate.
Some amps I've had use multiple main caps instead of single big ones for speed or some such thing.
Chapman, in his speaker xovers will do the same thing. Maybe speed is the wrong terminology or maybe 2 caps will indeed act differently than one. I've heard it referred to as speed, at least far as amps go

Hey gents!

A pretty nice set of later 910's is on fleabay now, complete with stands.
Take a look.
Listening to mine last night, and I'm still blown away by these speakers.

Hey gents!

A pretty nice set of later 910's is on fleabay now, complete with stands.
Take a look.
Listening to mine last night, and I'm still blown away by these speakers.
I noticed the same seller also has a Y shaped cheeto (yes, cheezy puffy snack ) for 543.90
Chester Cheetah would be proud.
Of the 24 people watching the un-tested 910's if any are AK'ERS, expect orange thumb prints on your speakers IF they get to you intact. Lol. Sling shot shaped cheeto..lol.

I always wanted a pair and they are a couple of hours drive, but I have to many speakers as it is.

The metal clip that holds it in place.
Thanks!
Hey Glenn. Been a while. Just got the LED power meters from the guy in Canada. Comes with the decals but no metal clips so will have to fabricate. Looks pretty cool though. And i don't hear any sound degradation as some have claimed. I didn't get the bi and try-cards. More power is just an easier way to go IMHO.

Hey Glenn. Been a while. Just got the LED power meters from the guy in Canada. Comes with the decals but no metal clips so will have to fabricate. Looks pretty cool though. And i don't hear any sound degradation as some have claimed. I didn't get the bi and try-cards. More power is just an easier way to go IMHO.
Hey Trevorjon!
Thanks for the info!
I'll have to give them a try.
Speaking of cool ADS stuff, I just received these from Aker soundmotor.
He told me only 50 or so were made, one time only, for promo purposes for dealers, sales reps etc, though the promos never made it.
Very cool to have a small piece of ADS history.
Glenn
IMG_4425.jpg IMG_4426.jpg

Hey Trevorjon!
Thanks for the info!
I'll have to give them a try.
Speaking of cool ADS stuff, I just received these from Aker soundmotor.
He told me only 50 or so were made, one time only, for promo purposes for dealers, sales reps etc, though the promos never made it.
Very cool to have a small piece of ADS history.
Glenn
View attachment 1087964 View attachment 1087965
Oh!.... Also my son Ben said that the Perreaux service guy is finished with his monster amp (after over nine months) so well be heading out to pick it up in the next weeks or month. 500w in 8 ohm....1000 into 4. Well see how the 910s sound with that kind of current! I know they thrive on 300w from my Perreaux 3150. Cant wait!

Oh!.... Also my son Ben said that the Perreaux service guy is finished with his monster amp (after over nine months) so well be heading out to pick it up in the next weeks or month. 500w in 8 ohm....1000 into 4. Well see how the 910s sound with that kind of current! I know they thrive on 300w from my Perreaux 3150. Cant wait!
Might not be enough power.:D

Mike had a set that had incorrect woofers, and he just didn't want to deal with them.

Hey Glenn what happened to the cabinets from Mike's parted 910s? Who is Mike is in this case? One of mine has some dings on the top that will be very hard to steam out fully when I ever get around to refinishing them. And because of the curved corners I would have to inset new veneer, which would be challenging.

Back
Top Bottom