TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Thanks for that Jhoyt,

In my rig (without an active pre / buffer), i've needed around 4400uF (@ 23v) close to the board for it to sound decent. Things were sounding abit thin otherwise. I'm in a similar boat with 8 ohm 86 db speakers.

IMG_20171205_103527.jpg
Here's one of my recent projects. It's a 2.1 board which had horrendous power on/power off pop, as described in this Youtube review:

A guy in Japan came up with a circuit to fix the pop, and did a bunch of other stuff: http://park8.wakwak.com/~hilo/audio/tpa3116d2_amp3ch/index.html .

I built the circuit (two diodes, two resistors, two capacitors, and a transistor) on a small scrap of vero board. Not exactly the most elegant implementation, but it works really well. The only other modification I carried out was the removal of the one capacitor which the guy indicated was preventing the subwoofer channel snyc from operating correctly.

Wow, I got the surface mount resistors to do the gain mod. They are TINY! Anyone have advice on that precise of soldering? I am not sure if I'll be able to do it.

Now you can see why I melted some nearby components LOL. Anyway, the key to removing the old ones, solder some extra solder to both sides so they retain heat a bit longer. Then heat up both sides, and flick them off with the tip.

Then add a bit more solder to both pads. I borrowed this from my wife so I can hold and manipulate the resistor as I soldered one side.
Ze1FRgi.jpg

Then the other side is easy.

You guys have better eyes and dexterity than me. I've been working on two of these TPA3118 mono boards on and off for a couple of months but still have soldering to do.

Ridiculously small but I guess it saves on shipping from China.

2_conew1_587.jpg

I mod watches, so I have a cheap mangifying glasses/visor from harbor freight. I think that will help. I've taken of a surface mount resistor before, but never soldered one on. I'll give it a try someday when the coffee has worn off. I'm planning on doing my dual-chip, because right now it is pretty much too high gain for high efficiency speakers.

Now that we know that the resistors in the Breeze do not match up with the data sheets, I wonder what gain we're starting with. Also, I wonder if it would work (and if so what gain it would have) if both resistors were removed instead of one removed and one replaced.

It isn't that different from this group that hacks together amps from all kinds of parts. Perhaps some of you might be interested! :)

One finds a decent base watch, then modifies it. One that is popular is an Invicta which comes with a good Seiko automatic movement, a solid stainless case, and has readily available replacement dials, hands, crystals, straps, etc.. If you glance through this article, you can see one modder's process. In the end you get a watch that is uniquely yours.

It isn't that different from this group that hacks together amps from all kinds of parts. Perhaps some of you might be interested! :)

One finds a decent base watch, then modifies it. One that is popular is an Invicta which comes with a good Seiko automatic movement, a solid stainless case, and has readily available replacement dials, hands, crystals, straps, etc.. If you glance through this article, you can see one modder's process. In the end you get a watch that is uniquely yours.

I have a few seiko monsters with upgraded sapphire crystals myself. I pay a watch repair guy to swap my crystals and regulate my movements though.

Used, and it popped the fuse after 2 hours lol

back to the ps-8kx until I get a chance to hit home depot tomorrow

I finally did this mod to my dual chip. It was not easy, as the surface mount resistors are TINY!!! I did it though and it is working. Previously even with the volume off there was quite a bit of music coming out. Now I can hear it with my ear next to the speaker, but it is much much less. I also have more usable range on the volume knob.

I am not sure if it improved the sound or not, it is near impossible to do a direct comparison.

I just did the mod, I did just what you described. I thought I screwed up since I melted some of the nearby components, very tight space to work with. But getting everything back together, it works great. Volume knob needs about an extra 30 degrees to reach same volume as before. All my issues I had with the knob and the channel imbalance are gone. With nothing playing I can turn it up to max and no hiss even with my ear right up to tweeter. It still gets plenty loud, but I'm using it near field so I don't turn it up past half.

nAGqvvs.jpg

So far it does sound better overall, can't quite explain why. I'm thinking of ordering another to compare side by side to rule out confirmation bias.

Hmm.. ok i'll join the party.
I have been running the board (YJ BB) at 32db gain. When i free up some time, I'll build another with the stock gain (26db). I'd be keen to hear if the sound quality is better with lower gain.

Another recent project: Texas Instruments evaluation module board with TPA3255 chip ($75 from the TI online store with a discount code) and a Mean Well 48 volt power supply, in an old Antec Aria computer case. 315 watts per channel in 2.0 mode.
evm3255-1.jpg evm3255-2.jpg evm3255-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom