Does your Sansui have a 2 ohm rating?

There's nothing wrong with high dynamic ratings, as long as they are 'bonus' watts, not the basis for selling the product.

NAD and Proton pushed the crazy short term dynamic ratings, but at the time, their offerings were reasonable, and priced typically the same as gear with similar continuous ratings as their products. The dynamic power back then, was in fact a 'bonus'.

There's arguments both ways- 0dB headroom is ideal, but then again, that's it- no short term reserve if you need it. It's a bit like these new CPUs from Intel that can run in a boost mode for a short time only and then drop back to their rated clock speed.

Isn't 'Dynamic Power' - just a posh way of saying 'Music Power' ? - which is an instantaneous peak power only achievable every now and again - and depends largely on how beefy the power supply is.

Show me amplifiers that can tolerate 2Ω loads continuously - then I'll get a bit more excited. :rolleyes:

What he said exactly.
Dynamic power and green horses are the same thing.
It was just another way to state that the amp was stable into low impedances that some speakers may present at some some frequencies , like the bass reflex frequency in some speakers. The lowest point some times it's 2 ohms.

I wouldn't push them to 2 ohms but for the record the G-22000 has 6 output devices per channel and the G-33000 has 8.

- Pete

G33000 isn't rated for 2 ohms . Not even 4. Well they state a power rating for 4 ohms but the increase is very little , as for G22000 too. I doubt the big G's can handle even 4 ohm loads. The very finicky protector kicks in and cuts power very early on 4 even 6 ohm loads. I've seen it with both my units g22 and g33.

I'm not suggesting that you run them with less than an 8 ohm load. In an earlier post, there was discussion of the number of output devices in various amps. The big Gs have as many or more outputs than almost all others.

- Pete

Well SANSUI never put many op devices in their amplifiers. Most is 8 , 4 pairs per channnel. On 2301's 2302's and G33K.
Actually only BA5K has more , 5pairs per channel.
On the other hand ACCUPHASE used as many as 26 pairs per channel , or even more like on M1000's monoblocks.

Woo-hoo - nice :thumbsup:

(but maybe with enough heatsink compound for another 8 per channel :rolleyes: )

The guy who specializes in the Iverson EK amps suggested that I have one pair working in each channel for nondemanding loading for best sound, so I don't see what Sansui is doing with multiple pairs and an 8 Ohm rating.

Maybe because speaker's load is not a fixed figure and they wanted to have more power available?:idea:
That would be logical, but should show as low 'Z' load tolerance.
Sansui may be insuring their durability by specifying a nominal 8 Ohm rating to include erratic loading by troublesome examples.
An amp that would be spec'ed to take a nominal 2 Ohm loading might have to absorb a much lower excursion for a similar 2 Ohm example, f.i., say 1/2 Ohm. Dunno, just a SWAG.

Back
Top Bottom