How About a Beginner Turntable Sub Forum?

How About a Beginner Turntable Sub Forum?

• Turntables < Leave As Is

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Turntable Starters Forum, < Getting Your Feet Wet

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Turntables, < Stepping Up You Game

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Records, < Buying, Masterings, Storage and Cleaning Care.

Votes: 29 31.5%

• Total voters
Count my vote for that kind of forum. I’ve been here almost year and a half and would’ve loved something like that when I joined. I was welcomed and everyone was very helpful with all my questions (that they’ve answered millions of times before), but I still felt I was a being a nuisance. I agree with 4-2-7, if there was a dedicated forum for beginners it would make it easier to find the info they’re looking for.

No need for a sub forum, if you feel too many noobs are asking the same question just move on, simple as that.

No need for a sub forum, if you feel too many noobs are asking the same question just move on, simple as that.

What? This isn't about "you". This is about the new users easily finding basic TT info -with the side effect of reducing the number of repetitive questions.

Jeesh.

We were asked for our opinion, got a problem with me responding?

Not at all, but I sure would like it if you had actually contributed to the discussion at hand. Your response is no less than I expected, based on your first post in this thread. It's all about you, isn't it?

Not at all, but I sure would like it if you had actually contributed to the discussion at hand. Your response is no less than I expected, based on your first post in this thread. It's all about you, isn't it?

We were asked if we thought a sub forum was needed, I responded to the question, we were asked why, I also responded to that question, sorry my opinion isn't in sync with yours.

If you're needing for me to agree with your opinion then you need to talk to someone a bit more educated in that field than I, otherwise, if you were looking for a loooooooong diatribe explaining how I came to my conclusion I wouldn't recommend holding your breath waiting lol.

As for contributions to the thread, the only thing I see from you is your attack on my post, trolling much?

Last edited:
I think the thread could be really useful for opinions on subs being necessary vs speakers being used or bought. Many are getting back into vinyl and are buying systems for this. I just did this very thing. I bought my son( a digital downloader and I mean 1000's) a Yamaha stereo reciever w/ Bluetooth, Audio-Technica At-lp60 SB turntable, speaker stands and a pair of Dayton B652 speakers, ( with Bose 201 series IV spares for testing ). What most newer people to this will read when reviewing speakers is they really either sound good and have enough bass or they really shine when a sub is added. This leads to well how do I hook a Sub up to a stereo reciever if my speakers need some help, there's no sub out (Yamaha even shows how on their web site. So as a newer member with little technical knowledge but loads of experience with equipment from Nakamici, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, DCM, Pioneer, Integra.....I can see this thread going places if we start with what sounds good to us. I personally have DCM Time Frame mains with a DCM 16c center and DCM SATs with one of the Andrew Jones Pioneer sub. Sounds awesome but for vinyl my Marantz goes to Pure Direct and to my mains which are all it needs. So yea, I could see some interesting recommendations.

Personally, I like simple.

What we could use is a comphrensive AK for Dummies/Beginners Guide. First, teach novices how to find the answers and when to ask for help. I've answered some question a 1/2 dozen times in a number of threads. Eventually I stopped responding. It gets old.

But hey, I don't hang out much anymore in the Turntable Forum or ones more specifically about gear. If you feel strongly about this and as the polls suggests, do it and have fun.

A potential problem is that the people with the knowledge and answers to the questions posed in a beginners forum (of any kind), don't really have much reason to be hanging out there.

A potential problem is that the people with the knowledge and answers to the questions posed in a beginners forum (of any kind), don't really have much reason to be hanging out there.

I pretty much don't go in sub forums at all to view the content. I view the site from the new post page which shows everything thats current and active at the moment. The thing is it would be easier for new members and new to using a turntable find what they are looking for. They might feel more comfortable starting a thread there also. As Natitude said when your new you almost hate to ask questions because your a little embarrassed. How many threads do we see started, "bear with me I'm new" Stupid question here" and on and on. I see that as a reflection that there is a bit of embarrassment, they can't find what they need so they start a thread.

Even for the longer term members with the knowledge to help can find what they are looking for quicker and link them to threads. Or just repeat what the posted elsewhere.

You know I just found this site myself when I had a simple question. I was worried about pushing speakers rated at 75watts max with the 100watt Yamaha amp I had bought my son. When I googled that question, it led me to a thread on here. Pretty cool, a simple question I should probably have known answered and joined as well. I appreciate others opinions and experience and I learn stuff.

You know I just found this site myself when I had a simple question. I was worried about pushing speakers rated at 75watts max with the 100watt Yamaha amp I had bought my son. When I googled that question, it led me to a thread on here. Pretty cool, a simple question I should probably have known answered and joined as well. I appreciate others opinions and experience and I learn stuff.
Welcome to AK Mike.

I think this is a very good point. If the objective is to help the beginners, then they need to go to a place that they will find that help. Segregating them to a sub-forum that might isolate the sought after knowledge from them seems counter-productive.

I think this is a very good point. If the objective is to help the beginners, then they need to go to a place that they will find that help. Segregating them to a sub-forum that might isolate the sought after knowledge from them seems counter-productive.

But the fact you probably seen this thread I started because my last comment popped up on the "New Post" page, thats not Segregating anything. Again who just goes to a sub forum to read and comments only there. However a new member looks in sub forums related to what they are looking for, they might read a lot more than posting. A sub forum can have more stickies related to that forum topic that helps a beginner out with easy to find info.

Last edited:
But the fact you probably seen this thread I started because my last comment popped up on the "New Post" page, thats not Segregating anything. A gain who just goes to a sub forum to read and comments only there. However a new member looks in sub forums related to what they are looking for, they might read a lot more than posting. A sub forum can have more stickies relater to that forum topic that helps a beginner out with easy to find info.

Good point.

Biscuithead sort of makes the same idea I had, that one thread can lead to others and I guess for a newer member like myself I enjoy that. I can see where older members may have grown tired of it or tired of repeated questions but I still think the vinyl is really coming back ( glad I kept my 300+ albums) and stereo receivers and questions about turntables( with or without amp) and what speakers really sound good and let's do this on a budget if needed. They are going to buying this stuff much more than even a few years ago. But I appreciate everyone's opinion positive or negative.

Keep the ideas coming folks. I will present the ideas to the staff and see if I can get some traction.
Happy Fathers Day everyone!
Regards,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom