Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

kfjc los altos hills community college archives thru my android, chrome cast because there is nothing good on fm radio right now in LA

FC1A0941.JPG

Traffic & Weather together on the 8's - WTOP 103.5 FM,... with a warm cup o' joe.

Jazzfest Detroit with John Penney on WRCJ 90.5
Denon TU-270 while MR74 is in the tuner hospital
image.jpeg

I was listening to KUSC last night on my new T-101. Sounded very good until some modern classical came on. Isn't that an oxymoron?

20171125_203054.jpg

Listening to my local NPR station, WHRO 89.5.
The show is "The Fish Fry", swing music.
I am using a fully-refurbished Sansui 771 receiver, driving a new-to-me pair of Realistic Optimus-1 speakers.
It's a nice way to spend a Saturday evening.

KINK FM 101.9 - Portland, OR on my trusty, cosmetically challenged Sansui TU-717, playing through a pair of KEF 104/2 speakers driven by a Thule IA100 integrated amp.

I just moved into a new place this week, several miles south of Portland, and set up my bedroom system after dinner tonight. I'm much further from the local transmitters than I was at my last place. I was worried about reception, but am relieved it's not an issue. The trusty TU-717 is pulling in my two favorite stations (KINK 101.9 and KNRK 94.7) with a nice clean signal at 4.7 - 4.8 on the signal strength meter with just a BIC Beambox FM10 for an antenna.

I continue to be amazed and impressed by this particular TU-717. I've owned, and sold other highly regarded, and more expensive tuners (Sansui TU-919, properly aligned, but unmodded, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A, Kyocera T-910, etc.), but this ugly duckling TU-717 (dropped on its face by a previous owner), beat them all in terms of sound quality. Based on the fact that the RCA output jacks are non-original, snazzy looking gold plated things, I suspect it's been internally modded by a prior owner. Someday soon, I need to open it up and replace the burned out lamps (4 of 5). It will be interesting to see what, if any, mods have been done to it, but regardless, it remains the best sounding (if not best looking - the Magnum Dynalab wins that contest by a wide margin) tuner I have ever heard.

Based on the incredible sound quality, I am perfectly willing to forgive the previous owner for the cosmetic damage. It really only needs the dial glass replaced and it will be fine. The bottom front corner of the face plate is also smashed a bit, but in the equipment rack, it's not really noticeable.

Just spun the dial over to KNRK FM 94.7 listening to Lay it on Me by Vance Joy. Sounds pretty darn great.

Last edited:
The Blues Show on 89.3 WNUR Northwestern University on the Yamaha CT-800. They're playing some excellent Christmas songs, like James Brown's "Santa Claus, Go Straight to the Ghetto." Amen!

Hey all, let's drum up some love for FM.. It can still be wonderful, even in a crowded market!
Tonight, I have fired up one of my secondary systems, and it has a good tuner...
It may also represent one of the best values in all of audio:
Harman Kardon HK385i receiver, mid eighties.
Yeah, it is cheap looking and not in the more desirable champagne color, but; the FM stereo reception is quite respectable, having a weighted analog flywheel paired with LED tuning meter and muting stage. Sensitivity is listed at 1.7uV.
The linestage has -3db points at 0.5Hz and 150kHz, Is an honest 33wpc at 8 ohms both channels driven, 20Hz-20kHz, and uses 2SA1264 and 2SC3181 output devices which are coveted Toshiba. They claim this unit can swing 15A 'high current instantaneous' output current.. "Lol"

Currently playing Eddie Trunk metal show at 104,3 MHz.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 23
Currently listening to WVCR Contemporary Jazz show run Midnight to 2AM Sunday morning on Sansui TU-S77AMX tuner. Awesome:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom