Do I need a Headphone Amp for 600 ohms with a Marantz 2275 receiver?

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
Subscriber
I have 600 ohm Beyer DT880's arriving on Wednesday.
I saw discussion on head-fi that receivers won't typically drive these well.
I use a Marantz 2275 in good enough condition but unrestored to my knowledge.
I'm not a member at hifiengine so I can't DL the specsheet and don't have an OM for it.

I sorta panicked and ordered a JDSLABS Objective2 by NwAvGuy after many hours of frustrating research.

Will my 2275 alone power 600ohm cans well or is a dedicated amp truly necessary with this old 75W receiver?

I'm sorry i have no experience with high impedance headphones and am pretty new to headphones but depending on budget.
On the cheap side the little nobsound ns-08e that i use will drive 600 ohm from what I've read.
With upgraded tube's it is a nice sounding little amp.
It's good as standard but does get better with better tubes.

I have early model 2000 ohm Sennheiser HD424's and they drive very well from the headphone jack of every 70's receiver and amp I've owned, and there have been many!

Can't vouch for the Beyer, but if they don't work, it is probably not related to the impedance.

I have 800 ohm AKG 240's. No issues running them with my Integrated Amps, or my HK330c. They are not laptop friendly though.

Thanks guys.

Master -> The Thing That Should Not Be (Hoffman gold remaster CD) = details I don't remember if I ever even noticed them before
The maniacal/evil laughing there sounds insane and similar to Ozzy laughing/screaming between Am I Going & The Writ on Sabotage

The 880s sound decent right out of the box directly from the Marantz jackhole (Hank III reference).
I understand they'll get better with break-in so I'll leave MoP on repeat while I get caught up on Shameless season 7&8
75W of 70's Marantz volume knob at 10 O'clock is enough for listening for me. Leave it there or louder for best break-in?

I'll compare w/ & w/out amp when it gets here.

Excellent question as I'm researching my first pair of "real" headphones. One pair I was looking at was the Sennheiser HD600 that has 300 ohm and was curious like you if a Marantz 2500 (restored) would be ok or would I need to buy a headphone amp. I know nothing about headphones and all this research is hurting my head. A lot of info to take in but I think I've narrowed it down to a couple.

I don't know about 300 ohm but my mid 70s M2275 handles the 600 ohm Beyer DT 880s no problem.
I'm not even going to bother trying out the HP amp I got in the mail.

I'll get a lil more mileage out of something I wrote earlier today on a different forum...

"I'm just sending the Objective2 back to flimflamazon.
The 2275/880 combo sounds just right on 90% of what I tried with flat settings.
Art Of The Fugue (on organ), Back In Black, Ice-T Freedom Of Speech, Funkadelic Hardcore Jollies & Lords Of Acid all needed a bass bump.
10+ flavors of classic rock, Metallica, Zappa, Scorpions, Haydn & Beethoven symphonies sound perfect set flat.
Vivaldi fiddle concertos are bright and sharp set flat with the same volume as the rest.
Turning it down a few decibels it was better. It was probably mastered hot.

No need for a dedicated HP amp."

Last edited:
I have 600 ohm Beyer DT880's arriving on Wednesday.
I saw discussion on head-fi that receivers won't typically drive these well.
I use a Marantz 2275 in good enough condition but unrestored to my knowledge.
I'm not a member at hifiengine so I can't DL the specsheet and don't have an OM for it.

I sorta panicked and ordered a JDSLABS Objective2 by NwAvGuy after many hours of frustrating research.

Will my 2275 alone power 600ohm cans well or is a dedicated amp truly necessary with this old 75W receiver?
When I listen to headphone, the 2 important factors are:
(1) Long session comfort which means light weight and open sound.
(2) A 3 dimensional sound stage which will not make the music 2 dimensional or all in the head.
The BeyerDynamic DT880 is capable of doing good sound stage if driven by a good headphone amplifier.

Most receiver do not have dedicated headphone amp circuit. They use a padding resistor of a few hundred ohms to tap the speaker output for the headphone jack. As a result, the receiver has plenty of driving power, but gets very poor transient response and no sound staging. Many will find JDSLABS Objective2 with BeyerDynamic DT880 to be a better combination. You need to do a comparison yourself to know the difference. It the Marantz 2275 jack and the JDSLABS Objective2 headamp sound no difference to you, then use whatever is the cheaper approach.

To me, the depth of sound stage is particularly important in headphone listening. It needs a good phone and a good amp to bring it out. Otherwise, the music becomes 2 dimensional.

I know it's a generic comment, but if you're really after the best sound, it's my opinion that you should always use a headphone amp. I've gotten plenty good sound from my vintage Pioneers, Yammies, and Sansuis, but nothing matches the sound I get from my headphone amp in terms of clarity and soundstage; it's truly night and day. I use an expensive headphone amp but even the less expensive ones are worth it, IMO.

Last edited:
I have a pair of 600 ohm AKG K240 phones (Austrian made) and no trouble driving them with a Yamaha CR2020, Marantz 2220B, and Marantz 4270. But if you drive them from a phone you'll need an amp.

Thanks guys.

Master -> The Thing That Should Not Be (Hoffman gold remaster CD) = details I don't remember if I ever even noticed them before
The maniacal/evil laughing there sounds insane and similar to Ozzy laughing/screaming between Am I Going & The Writ on Sabotage

The 880s sound decent right out of the box directly from the Marantz jackhole (Hank III reference).
I understand they'll get better with break-in so I'll leave MoP on repeat while I get caught up on Shameless season 7&8
75W of 70's Marantz volume knob at 10 O'clock is enough for listening for me. Leave it there or louder for best break-in?

I'll compare w/ & w/out amp when it gets here.

Good way to "break-in" 600 ohm phones is to download a pink noise app on your phone, run it in continuous mode through your receiver (for volume), and turn volume up just above normal listening level. Plug in phones and leave for 3 days continuous.

The Decware CSP3 is perfect for the Beyerdynamic 600 ohm phones. It really brings the best out of them and it responds well to tube rolling.

Last edited:
They sound great from my Marantz.
The boombox in the bedroom is adequate for while reading at night.
They work great with existing equipment. That's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom