Altec phone home ?

Sure buddy...that's why you have a pr of 50 year old 6"Japanese drivers and you're looking for more.:crazy:
(emphasis added)

Which reminds me of a terrible old joke.

A man was waiting for the bus on a street corner. Another fellow walked up to the bus stop, sat down a large valise and opened it. From it, he extracted a miniature but finely crafted piano, a similarly-sized piano bench and a living, breathing, foot-tall human being. The tiny fellow was dressed in a well tailored tuxedo with tails, black tie. The little man cracked his knuckles, sat down upon the bench, and began to play, beautifully.
The man who was at the bus stop first stared, mouth agape at the spectacle.
"But... what... how?" he stammered.

The other (normal sized) fellow said, "well, it's a long story.
"You see, I once found a brass lamp at a thrift store. It was tarnished but seemed nicely made, with impressive heft.
"I took it home and began to polish it.
"To my astonishment, a genie popped out, and offered me a single wish."

"But", asked the other man, "How did you end up with a 12-inch pianist?"

"The genie", the second fellow sighed, "was hard of hearing."

or something like that...

What I would like to see is AK absorb the Altec Users group over on Hostboard. The software on that forum is hopelessly outdated and they seem to lose post and a lot of info.
I agree that a Altec subforum on here would be nice and I'm against splintering forums any more than needed. It's just that there is a lot of Altec traffic in the speaker forum and it would be nice to have it all in one place with the appropriate stickys at the top.

BillWojo

You mean like, Stick With Altec?

There's always those warm-hearted, friendly chaps at Lansing Heritage. :D
he he he ... know em well ...
Used to be a regular, ran away a while back!

But that nice Joe Roberts fellow is trying to lead me down the Altec path ...
Now I just need to fill the empty Model 15 boxes he delivered to me!

And having a specific ALTEC Forum in here, in the typical AK helpful mode, would be a godsend helping me learn more about specific drivers horns and other parts of the system.
That Hostboard thing is Horrible - definitely a disincentive to going to that site.

Last edited:
Joe is a Western Electric, Big Horn, Snake Oil Salesman:bowdown: who has forgotten more than I ever learned about. I love talking with him. As you probably know, the DCAudioDIY group is another resource.

So - how do we VOTE to get an ALTEC Forum at good old AK??

FWIW (in case I didn't mention this before) -- I never look at individual subfora. Whenever I visit AK, I just click new posts and see what's up.
In other words, from my perspective, the subfora are utterly pointless (although I'll acknowledge the D&S and the Bartertown subfora as necessary given the site's structure & philosophy).

Consequently, I also always see cross-posting (double-posting) whenever it happens. :confused:

Not sure if anyone else is in the same camp, but it seemed worthy of mention.

I'm set to see all new postings and followups on Android, via tabs in the header and how often I visit.

Well, I believe that Grumpy owns the forum so it's not really a democracy here. Possibly if this is brought to his attention than he would consider it. I know that there is a lot of folks that don't like to splinter the forum with more and more sub-forums and you can count me in on that as well but I do think that this particular request should be looked at closely for a lot of reasons above.
What do you say Grumpy? Yea or Nay?

BillWojo

Mr Grumpy, sir. We kindly beg your indulgence to put an ALTEC Lansing forum in place here.
There are a bunch of ALTEC fans on this site, and the other Altec forums are severely lacking
in software quality, in archival value, and in researchability. The newer AK Software is SUPERB,
so there would be a GREAT VALUE in collecting historical ALTEC info here!
Thanks in advance for your appreciation and understanding of this!
I'm sure we could get some donations together if that would be helpful ... just let us know!
Thanks again, and a Merry Christmas!

(I started a conversation with Grumpy and asked this very thing - only slightly different than this post).

Last edited:
Well, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all the ALTEC fans and followers here,
looking forward to new sounds in the New Year!

I think were all looking forward to your build and your impressions as well. To bad your not a lot closer, I could lend you some horns and such to play with.
Merry Christmas!

BillWojo

You could set up a Pole/Vote thingie.

View attachment 1074217

I THINK ITS TOO LATE FOR THAT!!!

- I made that first comment Dec 13, Redboy seconded it Dec 14th and on we went ...
I even wrote Grumpy directly asking for an "ALTEC Archives" forum (or some such thing)
Since then, Christmas has passed, its nearly 2018,and we're 4 pages into this thread!
... all we can do now is wait'n'see what happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom