Apple Buys Shazam

uofmtiger

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
“We are thrilled that Shazam and its talented team will be joining Apple. Apple Music and Shazam are a natural fit, sharing a passion for music discovery and delivering great music experiences to our users. We have exciting plans in store, and we look forward to combining with Shazam upon approval of today’s agreement."

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_acquires_shazam_for_400_million-news-28673.php

I am curious to see how this will be integrated more deeply into Apple Music. Just last week, I used the app to figure out the lyrics of a song.

“We are thrilled that Shazam and its talented team will be joining Apple. Apple Music and Shazam are a natural fit, sharing a passion for music discovery and delivering great music experiences to our users. We have exciting plans in store, and we look forward to combining with Shazam upon approval of today’s agreement."

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_acquires_shazam_for_400_million-news-28673.php

I am curious to see how this will be integrated more deeply into Apple Music. Just last week, I used the app to figure out the lyrics of a song.

They may just drop Android version.

I use the shazam app quite a lot,( interesting enough a few years ago in Ibiza I witnessed it's widespread use in clubs) but not enough to ever go back to an iPhone if they went the way of dropping the android.

I use the shazam app quite a lot,( interesting enough a few years ago in Ibiza I witnessed it's widespread use in clubs) but not enough to ever go back to an iPhone if they went the way of dropping the android.
Apple Music is on Android, so I expect that if the service continued it would remain on Android. They could make it only compatible with (or integrate it into) Apple Music and iTunes, but I guess we will just haves to wait and see. They obviously will want something in return for their estimated 400 million bucks.

I'd say that's a pretty good bet. :(
Doesn't Soundcloud have similar features if they kill off Shazam? I have always used Shazam, but I have read that a lot of people prefer SoundCloud.

It seems that Shazam has a lot of "machine learning" involved which can help Apple with their recommendations:

https://blog.shazam.com/learning-to-understand-music-from-shazam-56a60788b62f

I still wish Apple would buy Roon, but it sounds like Shazam will get them much closer to (and possibly surpass?) what Roon is doing in the future. Not sure what future Roon will have if Tidal goes under?

This implementation will probably help them with general requests for the HomePod (even if it hasn't been implemented on day 1) and on their other platforms. If someone asks it to play some rock, they may be able to look into past requests, likes, etc.. and come up with a pretty good idea of what the person wants to hear rather than just playing some random rock radio station. This is good news for AM users. :p

I’ve never used Shazam. Some sort of AI?

You start the app, push a button, "it" listens to the music/lyrics and returns the artist and song title.

For example I started the digital music on the TV and fired up Shazam to tell me what was playing. Of course I could see what it was on the TV but still the point is Shazam returned the correct match.

Screenshot_2017-12-14-11-50-59.png

Last edited:
Must be a cell phone type of thing. If I want to know what song I am listening too ... I just type the lyrics (about a sentence will do) in a search engine. Shazam! ... I have the answer. Saved Apple 400 million.

Let me Google it for you ... "there's a better life for me and you"

I don't get it? ...Solution looking for a problem?

Must be a cell phone type of thing. If I want to know what song I am listening too ... I just type the lyrics (about a sentence will do) in a search engine. Shazam! ... I have the answer. Saved Apple 400 million.

I don't get it? .
..Solution looking for a problem?
Far from it. Music ID apps have tremendous utility.

I use Shazam a lot....in the car, social events, in my garage...if there is radio (internet or terra) playing and a song comes up that I really like, with one click it IDs the song, another click adds it to my Spotify collection. No tedious inconvenient searches necessary

It's a great library builder!

I don't get it? ...Solution looking for a problem?
I don't think that this is the main reason Apple is buying them. It is more about the underlying tech. You can read the entire link I posted, but here is a short snippet:

"Here at Shazam, we can recognize millions and millions of songs in a matter of seconds — even in noisy or otherwise challenging environments. You might ask whether we can leverage this expertise in music recognition to automatically answer questions like:

• What genre is this song?
  • What kind of radio station might play it?
  • What instruments are featured?
  • What type of mood could be used to describe it?
  • Would I like it?
  • What other songs are similar?"
This type of information is valuable to an on demand music service.

I can name that tune in 5 notes! Lol. So, can you hum or sing a song and it will tell you the name, or does is only recognize songs playing on radio, etc?

Doesn't Soundcloud have similar features if they kill off Shazam? I have always used Shazam, but I have read that a lot of people prefer SoundCloud.
SoundCloud is a crowd sourced music service. Mainly indie stuff. I think what you're thinking of is SoundHound. Basically the same but not as "famous" as Shazam. If Apple locks Shazam down...I'll be headed to SoundHound town...:)

I've switched over to soundhound awhile ago. What really got me was I hummed something into soundhound and it somehow managed to find it. I was shocked the first time. Since then I've realized accuracy from humming is hit or miss. But that first impression stuck.

I can name that tune in 5 notes! Lol. So, can you hum or sing a song and it will tell you the name, or does is only recognize songs playing on radio, etc?
SoundHound has this feature. But I've not tried it.

SoundCloud is a crowd sourced music service. Mainly indie stuff. I think what you're thinking of is SoundHound. Basically the same but not as "famous" as Shazam. If Apple locks Shazam down...I'll be headed to SoundHound town...:)
You are correct. I was thinking of SoundHound.

Back
Top Bottom