The Knife Thread.....

Here's a fun one.

The mystery of how it wound up in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska remains... a mystery.

It is very cool.

When weird ethnic blades show up and have clearly been here for decades I usually blame a WW2 vet as to how they got here.

When they are found broken or in odd places I blame their grandchildren.

I bet that design was/is real popular down by the docks in Marseilles... :smoke:

John

This is the best auto I own. Late 40's, French, and is engraved Prototype. Blade is under ~1/2" wide and a needle. It seems to be designed to go between ribs.

Got it with a lot of knives at auction, no one what it was so it went cheap.

HojFmWt.jpg

47ssIiV.jpg

cTWuKdP.jpg

Here's one without proto markings from a collector site -

french020.jpg

Another Chinese knife, Boker Burnley Kwaiken. I am not even sure it is a knock-off. Earlier this summer I looked at a supposedly legit one. Compared to this one other than the stonewash blade finish I can't recall much difference. As nearly all Bokers are Chinese-made it may just be sold out of official distribution. Perhaps a finish variant on the blade that was cancelled? I don't know but the quality is great, ~$18 shipped or not. Took forever to get here and I was beginning to think it lost but it showed up yesterday. China via Swiss Post routed through Spain.

o_O

I bought it because of the oddball G10 scales (antifreeze yellow/green) and 8.125" OAL. It's big and typical Chinese shave sharp edge too. If it one holds up like my Ganzo auto I have no worries about it. I ordered another for a filework project. At these prices I can screw the pooch modding and not really care. My only complaint is the clip is too small which makes it much harder to get over your pocket lip and take back out. It should be about 2X the size it is, perhaps I'll tackle modding that too -

mgsTyNu.jpg

rxQO8cl.jpg

Another Chinese knife, Boker Burnley Kwaiken. I am not even sure it is a knock-off. Earlier this summer I looked at a supposedly legit one. Compared to this one other than the stonewash blade finish I can't recall much difference. As nearly all Bokers are Chinese-made it may just be sold out of official distribution. Perhaps a finish variant on the blade that was cancelled? I don't know but the quality is great, ~$18 shipped or not. Took forever to get here and I was beginning to think it lost but it showed up yesterday. China via Swiss Post routed through Spain.

o_O

I bought it because of the oddball G10 scales (antifreeze yellow/green) and 8.125" OAL. It's big and typical Chinese shave sharp edge too. If it one holds up like my Ganzo auto I have no worries about it. I ordered another for a filework project. At these prices I can screw the pooch modding and not really care. My only complaint is the clip is too small which makes it much harder to get over your pocket lip and take back out. It should be about 2X the size it is, perhaps I'll tackle modding that too -

mgsTyNu.jpg

rxQO8cl.jpg

I always admired that design, it seems to have all the qualities for a good EDC (except for that stingy-ass clip :)) There are a whole bunch of clips available on ebay if you look there.

I bought it because of the oddball G10 scales (antifreeze yellow/green) and 8.125" OAL.

I like the color of those scales. I "saved" a MiniGrip with neon green G10 scales, black coated blade, and black hardware using their custom knife program. I may even pull the trigger on it some day.

-Dave

o_O

mgsTyNu.jpg

rxQO8cl.jpg
I’ve got one of these that came in a Massdrop EDC mystery box. Only problem I have with it is the choil is nonexistent... one of these days I’ll get around to grinding one in. Like you say, they’re not so expensive as to feel guilty modding them.

6773D101-4E69-4B67-AEAC-B743E685E47B.jpeg

Only problem I have with it is the choil is nonexistent...

I think its intent is a fighter. If you flip it so blade edge is up w/ thumb against choil and long angle of butt against heel of your palm it feels fairly secure. (If you flip the blade open with your index finger your thumb is in the right spot to do this automatically.) Held with edge down though and your index finger knuckle area against choil, my finger feels like it will slide right off into the blade!

/ouch

I like the color of those scales. I "saved" a MiniGrip with neon green G10 scales, black coated blade, and black hardware using their custom knife program. I may even pull the trigger on it some day.

-Dave

I definitely have a color fascination with acid green/yellow but amost never buy anything in that color. This one was on impulse.

I think its intent is a fighter. If you flip it so blade edge is up w/ thumb against choil and long angle of butt against heel of your palm it feels fairly secure. (If you flip the blade open with your index finger your thumb is in the right spot to do this automatically.) Held with edge down though and your index finger knuckle area against choil, my finger feels like it will slide right off into the blade!

/ouch
This is the part I mean:

ACD34DDE-F1E3-4053-8908-F43BA70323C6.jpeg

Without that cut, I find a knife’s edge won’t be consistent.

Comically yuuuge! The top one is an 80s Muela Bowie from Spain. I wouldn't have bought this on its own although I do like it now. It was in a large collection I bought. The other is ~17.50" open, blade is ~0.25" thick at the spine, fires FAST and locks like a vault. Not been able to find much out about it except these were late 70s / early 80s production and made in Italy -

LsX8SKx.jpg

j1sa3NC.jpg

I have a thing for original packaging and this one delivers. It's a distributor box of Wandy 8" stilettos, ~1970s production. For me it doesn't get much better than this. They were a US buy from a long out of business knife shop. Guy shut his doors in '80 or thereabouts, boxed up his remaining inventory, and parked it in his basement essentially forgotten. He was selling his house & contents as he headed off to God's waiting room (Florida) to retire. Unfortunately all the catalogs and original literature were ruined. What wasn't used as a mouse toilet or bedding was moldy and stuck together. A lot of the knives were just junk but there were real gems too -

WzJCre4.jpg

ipbcX4o.jpg

P4k0JCZ.jpg

UPF4g1A.jpg

O2E1hMM.jpg

This is why you always ask "Hey, do you have any knives?" when out sale hopping. That question yielded a late 40s / early 50s 13" picklock from Mogal (Brooklyn NY importer). The 13" size is uber rare and worth a redo. At some point will make its way to Bill DeShivs for a repair & cleaning.

zxH9mKb.jpg

yLi450I.jpg

V good friend of mine collects knives, so I took the chance that he may like something from Santa Fe Stone Works. I was gifted with a set of steak knives from them and they are gorgeous.

They don't forge in-house, but they do custom mounting in some really tasteful designs.

I was in Santa Fe visiting my folks, stopped in and saw this piece; folded Kershaw onion in Santa Fe Stone Works mounts:
SF-stone-works.jpg

SF-stone-works-blade.jpg

Got this as his xmas gift - which he really liked.

Was tempted to keep it for myself.

V good friend of mine collects knives, so I took the chance that he may like something from Santa Fe Stone Works. I was gifted with a set of steak knives from them and they are gorgeous.

They don't forge in-house, but they do custom mounting in some really tasteful designs.

I was in Santa Fe visiting my folks, stopped in and saw this piece; folded Kershaw onion in Santa Fe Stone Works mounts:
SF-stone-works.jpg

SF-stone-works-blade.jpg

Got this as his xmas gift - which he really liked.

Was tempted to keep it for myself.

That knife is is a work of functional art.

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom