Cable - audible differences?

soundmig

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Intersting article in PS Audio's Copper Magazine this month. Written by Belden's chief in charge of their audiophile cable development program (the Iconoclast line), this first installment begins to describe some interesting points about what may account for audible differences in speaker and interconnect cables. Check it out - it sounds like science with measurements???

What's the issue number, and if it is the current one you would need to be a subscriber to see it.

It's the current issue. I am a subscriber, but didn't know you had to be to see it. The issue just hit my e-mail inbox this morning. I read the article and it seemed interesting. I'll be interested to see what other's with far more engineering prowess than I think of what is being said, presented.

Paul McGowan, head honcho over at PS Audio claims that $150 a pop "audiophile fuses" (yes, those little glass fuses but $150+ versions) makes audio gear sound better but can't explain why. Move on....nothing to see here folks.

Don't believe me? Hereeeeee's the video!

When you see an article written by a cable company's chief in charge of their audiophile cable development program, discussing possible reasons for cable differences, do you think it is going to be independent, unbiased and scientific?

It would be nice if it were, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah....can cables make a difference? I've been wondering lately.

index.php

When you see an article written by a cable company's chief in charge of their audiophile cable development program, discussing possible reasons for cable differences, do you think it is going to be independent, unbiased and scientific?

I doubt it, but since this is Belden (not known for hyperbole - and rich enough to do "real" research) I thought it worth my time to read. I'm looking forward to the additional installments to see where he goes with this whole subject.

index.php
Well, that subject will get you a myriad of replies many of which are 180 degrees opposite - which views often become confrontational. I'm not trying to start any confrontations. It is, however, an interesting subject and Belden is big enough to have the resources to do "real" research - so maybe its worth a read :)

there is an entire genre of thread on this site devoted to this topic. it is called 'the cable thread', in which the apparently deathless topic of 'whether or not cables make a difference' is kicked about. you will find threads on this topic going back to the origins of AK in the early 2000s. many of them get shut down because for some reason people attach enormous importance to the verity of their opinions and will resort to name calling, verbal abuse and maybe even death threats. my point here is that starting yet another of these things is uselss.

I googled this cable type and belden.

It gets you to a site called info.belden.com. There is NO belden logo there.

Now, go to the Belden site. search on Iconoclast and I get no hits.
Every page has the Belden logo, the way it should look.

I can not quickly find this cable range within their audio cables?????

Exactly.

I googled this cable type and belden.

It gets you to a site called info.belden.com. There is NO belden logo there.

Now, go to the Belden site. search on Iconoclast and I get no hits.
Every page has the Belden logo, the way it should look.

I can not quickly find this cable range within their audio cables?????

For what it is worth.

upload_2017-12-19_13-22-41.png

Perhaps the website is really new, but it doesn't work. As soon as you select a country outside the US, the state dropdown doesn't work.

No detail on the product yet, but as another poster pointed out, Belden should have the resources to tackle a superior cable design from a pure engineering perspective. That, I have no problems with, and applaud the concept. Whether that translates to tangible benefits is where the line gets blurred.

Let's see what they come up with- it appears they have had samples out for a few years with dealers. I saw a reference on another site/thread thread about a pair of 10' speaker cables cost $10k and they are braided, multi-core.

Found this on the packaging 'design'

https://www.behance.net/gallery/34446499/ICONOCLAST-by-Belden

"Worked on a fun packaging project for my company this year! The photo doesn't really do the project justice as the package materials are made from soft touch vinyl, and foil stamping on the logo/box top. Also, we won a Package Design Award with GD USA Magazine!"

Last edited:
I finally found it using the image search. I guess not allowed to use the picture source but I guess if specs are put on the internet.....just use it.
Indeed this website does not work for me nor for my country. Now Belden is a known worldwide cable supplier supplying through major electrical/electronics distributors so I expected easier navigation on their website and at least find the product. Maybe I am just looking the wrong way.
Probably full specs on all Belden cables is on the internet if knowing where to look...

Attachments

• beldeniconoplast.jpg
    beldeniconoplast.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
They'd be crazy not to use their good name to push up-market audiophile cables that would have insanely high profit margins. They are, after all, in business to make money.
By creating 'Iconoclast' by Belden (in small print) they are doing it the smart way. Leveraging off their brand, but creating a standalone brand Audiophiles would buy. Worst case, they can easily cut loose or kill it if they had to (want to) for whatever reasons. Best case, it makes a fortune for them.

Iconoclast (n): One who seeks to overthrow traditional or popular ideas or institutions.

:idea: :dunno:

index.php

Well, that subject will get you a myriad of replies many of which are 180 degrees opposite - which views often become confrontational.

Ah, I think Archguy's post was tongue in cheek...

WOW - another thread on blasting people who use better cables on this forum - who would've thunk. Don't believe in better cables, don't use them. It is that simple.

I have nothing against good cables...but I do harbor a healthy skepticism as to whether a $10k pair of cables in fancy packaging would be a sound investment for most of us.

I had an email conversation with Steve Lampen (Multimedia Technology Manager and Product Line Manager at Belden) concerning Belden audio cables back in November in which he mentioned this new Iconoclast series of cable. If anyone is interested, I could post the content.

there is an entire genre of thread on this site devoted to this topic. it is called 'the cable thread', in which the apparently deathless topic of 'whether or not cables make a difference' is kicked about. you will find threads on this topic going back to the origins of AK in the early 2000s. many of them get shut down because for some reason people attach enormous importance to the verity of their opinions and will resort to name calling, verbal abuse and maybe even death threats.

This is the funniest and most on point comment I've read yet about the great cable controversy!

Back
Top Bottom