Dumb question on new dryer w/ clogged vent alarm

soundmotor

super modified
We just put in brand new kink and lint free dryer venting well below the manufacturer's recommended run length. This goes with a brand new dryer which cheerfully tells us when the pipes are lint clogged. Which it does, often. It's been in use about 3 weeks. I am curious if cold weather plays into this? The air is denser so could it be harder push through the vent pipes and therefore trigger the fault?

/inquiring mind wants to know...

Bonus question: Know anyone who's actually ever had a lint fire?

I imagine there's already a slew of websites with hints and tips on bypassing those silly things ... ;-}

My dryer just broke an hour ago. Went to youtube for some info, 5 minute video, ten minutes taking it apart and testing, bad high limit thermostat, ordered from Amazon, twisted the wires together to finish the load.
As much as I hate to admit it the internet has saved my ass many times.
OH, sorry I can't help the OP. These new "smart" machines are just too smart for their own good.

We had a dryer with a flexible vent duct. BAD IDEA!!! They collect lint. Blew the thermal fuses. I could of repaired it. But based on it's age, we just replaced the dryer. When I pulled the duct, it was 80% closed. New dryer installed with solid duct. I dated the duct, and once a year, (recommended) clean the duct and elbows. Back to the OP's question. Did you check where it vents outside for obstructions. Make sure the louvers open when the dryer is in operation. Does the drier operate correctly with the duct work off?

We had a dryer with a flexible vent duct. BAD IDEA!!! They collect lint. Blew the thermal fuses. I could of repaired it. But based on it's age, we just replaced the dryer. When I pulled the duct, it was 80% closed. New dryer installed with solid duct. I dated the duct, and once a year, (recommended) clean the duct and elbows. Back to the OP's question. Did you check where it vents outside for obstructions. Make sure the louvers open when the dryer is in operation. Does the drier operate correctly with the duct work off?

Yeah, it's all new and moves freely. Took the pipe down just to check if anything shifted and it's clear as well. My garage is unheated and the steel vent pipe runs through it to the outside so it's cold in the pipe. Still not sure the cold doesn't have something to do with it.

I'd be hard pressed to think the density of the air is enough especially if the length is well below the max.

That said, are there many elbows or angles in the duct? Each of those adds quite a bit of equivalent length of straight pipe.

Any sort of device (flapper, shutters, lint catcher, etc) at the outlet that may increase pressure drop/back pressure?

Bonus question: Know anyone who's actually ever had a lint fire?

I imagine there's already a slew of websites with hints and tips on bypassing those silly things ... ;-}

Actually that happened at what's her face's last place. Fortunately I went down to check the laundry while it was still smoldering. Apparently a squirrel had started a nest in the pipe up in the ceiling and then died. Vent grille was busted, was probably the root cause of the problem, but there was plenty of lint backing up behind the nest that went right through the filter.

Now that was not a nice installation - it involved a long, probably 20' metal duct up in the ceiling with cheap flex going to it. I would have far preferred a shorter run, and had it not been a rented place, I would have replaced the flex with metal 90s and the heavier metal flex for less restriction, and possibly run the vent out the side wall of the house instead of the back, as it would have been about 1/3 the length, although exposed.

What do those things run on for a sensor, an air pressure sensor, or is it something that detects a fuzzy wad of lint stuck to it? if its air pressure, too many bends or even a negative air pressure in the house could be it. Basically if the house is under slight vacuum you'll get air trying to push backwards through the vent pipe and it could be enough to trip the pressure switch.

if its a pokenbit wad detector it may just have a fuzzy on it that needs to be found and removed.

I'd be hard pressed to think the density of the air is enough especially if the length is well below the max.

That said, are there many elbows or angles in the duct? Each of those adds quite a bit of equivalent length of straight pipe.

Any sort of device (flapper, shutters, lint catcher, etc) at the outlet that may increase pressure drop/back pressure?

There is the ~6' service loop on the hose from the dryer to wall pass through. It's free & clear, no kinks. The spec for the machine says not more than 8', the new 6' hose came with the appliance delivery and it was installed by the company we bought the machine from. On the other side is an 8' metal duct with a straight shot to the vent on the side of the house. It was just put in 30 days ago, all new. Appliance install dude's comment, "That's perfect" Of course machine worked fine during test run while they were still here. Calling the company today, they can come figure it out.

What do those things run on for a sensor, an air pressure sensor, or is it something that detects a fuzzy wad of lint stuck to it? if its air pressure, too many bends or even a negative air pressure in the house could be it. Basically if the house is under slight vacuum you'll get air trying to push backwards through the vent pipe and it could be enough to trip the pressure switch.

if its a pokenbit wad detector it may just have a fuzzy on it that needs to be found and removed.

I farted around with it enough yesterday to now hand it over to the company we bought it from. They installed it, they can deal with it.

I know of several lint fires.
Lint is so flammable its nearly explosive.
Many campers take lint with them as fire starter.
I'm sure that's not the OPs problem but I'd think twice about bypassing the safety

Cold weather causes moisture to accomulate thru condensation, which causes rapid accumulation of lint on duct interior. Shortest most direct duct is highly recommended, with frequent inspection and cleaning. Keep filter cleaned during drying cycles.

I know of several lint fires.
Lint is so flammable its nearly explosive.
Many campers take lint with them as fire starter.
I'm sure that's not the OPs problem but I'd think twice about bypassing the safety
you just gave the terrorists new ideas....TSA does not check for lint!

Pull your lint screen out of the dryer, hold it under the faucet, and see if it holds water. The vapors from soaps and/or softeners can coat the screen and plug it up, but the crud is virtually invisible so you don't see it. Happened with our dryer. I heard about this, pulled the screen, and hardly any water would pass. A mild scrub with hot water and dish soap cleaned it right up.

Pull your lint screen out of the dryer, hold it under the faucet, and see if it holds water. The vapors from soaps and/or softeners can coat the screen and plug it up, but the crud is virtually invisible so you don't see it. Happened with our dryer. I heard about this, pulled the screen, and hardly any water would pass. A mild scrub with hot water and dish soap cleaned it right up.

Dryer is brand new, less than 30 days.

We just put in brand new kink and lint free dryer venting well below the manufacturer's recommended run length. This goes with a brand new dryer which cheerfully tells us when the pipes are lint clogged. Which it does, often. It's been in use about 3 weeks. I am curious if cold weather plays into this? The air is denser so could it be harder push through the vent pipes and therefore trigger the fault?

/inquiring mind wants to know...
One other thought, FWIW...

Do you have a 'critter shield' (plastic or metal screening) on the outlet (outside) of the vent? We did, and that sucka clogged up nearly solid after the first few months of use.
We discovered it because the dryer -- wasn't drying.
We're lucky we didn't have a fire.

We removed the screen -- so far, no problems with clogging nor with critters (fortunately).

Yep, saw a lint fire in our local newspaper--the homeowner noticed the smoke and then flames coming up through the floor from the basement. It spread that quickly. (And if I recall, it was the house one of our suburbs' mayors lived in.)

I know in our area, they might have outlawed those plastic flexible dryer vent pipes. I am a fan of the old solid galvanized steel pipes. Ours has a metallic flexible pipe, but I am checking once every couple of months to make sure there is good airflow outside, and there is. Where I lived a decade ago, there was a long dryer vent pipe that went from the laundry room all the way to the back of the house. With the finished basement, there was no access to it, and the previous owner ended up venting it into the garage since that long pipe had become clogged over the years.

Our dryer did have the safety switch go bad on it, though, about a decade ago. It got to where it would just not turn on at all. I bypassed it temporarily and it started right up. My better half called her dad, who went to Sears and picked up the part which I put on that night, and it has been running ever since.

Makes me wonder if the dryer in question here might have a defective (overly sensitive) safety mechanism in it--a switch, a sensor, etc.

I farted around with it

Need more powerful farts maybe. I got a recipe for 16 bean soup that should be able to blow out any pipes! <G>

PS - if it IS a malfunctioning vent outlet, I'm sold on these ...

T_WithoutZoom

Plugs up tight when not in use, lot less back pressure than the standard vents, and never had one back up on me.

Back
Top Bottom