McIntosh c2600 vs Primaluna Dialogue Premium (Preamps)

mgrenwic

Hello all.

I am finally in a position to put together a component system. (Budget is about 25k)
I have had the opportunity to hear a few McIntosh setups, both solid state and tube.
I really believe McIntosh to be a great performer and their equipment is beautiful.
For some reason I am just drawn to this brand.

My issue is I find it hard to ignore the allure of the Primaluna line. I have watched the videos discussing the advantages of their components, I have read their reviews, and overall it seems top notch. I am just so torn b/w these two brands and would appreciate some input. Its really hard for me to ignore the points they make, especially when the top case comes off.

Thanks!

maybe you can get your dealers to let you do a in home trial. I think they may sound a bit different, so it may be worth asking. Either way I think you'll be happy. Good luck and enjoy.

I would be very suspicious of Primaluna. They won't publish the performance specs of their units. Even Stereophile only measures the units at 1 KHZ. What does that prove. They can make all the videos they want and speak in glowing terms, but where are the numbers? So if you are going to spend that kind money I would invest with a proven product that audio lovers have purchased for over 67 years Do you really want tubes? That guarantees that you will be laying out money for tube rolling or tube replacement when you could use the monies to expand your source materials. Because Primaluna uses high impedance circuits for interconnects make sure you set aside a tidy sum for interconnect cables. I always consider each purchase I make a life time investment. Mcintsoh is the proven leader in that respect. If you want to try something different. Look to ARC, but here again have a good reserve for maintenance.

Last edited:
maybe you can get your dealers to let you do a in home trial. I think they may sound a bit different, so it may be worth asking. Either way I think you'll be happy. Good luck and enjoy.
Agree...Checked and this is the only Dealer in TX that carries BOTH brands. Maybe a nice road trip or a call?
http://www.limpiasound.com/

I am not going to tell you what I purchased as I was not looking for Digital/Analog as C2600...Yet my budget was 10k. And Yes...I did look at Mac as I had 3 dealers selling both brands.

I look forward to what you Demo and return home with.

Last edited:

Yes, this would be ideal. There doesn't seem to be anyone close to me that sell the Primaluna gear. This might require some travel time.

I would be very suspicious of Primaluna. They won't publish the performance specs of their units. Even Stereophile only measures the units at 1 KHZ. What does that prove. They can make all the videos they want and speak in glowing terms, but where are the numbers? So if you are going to spend that kind money I would invest with a proven product that audio lovers have purchased for over 67 years Do you really want tubes? That guarantees that you will be laying out money for tube rolling or tube replacement when you could use the monies to expand your source materials. Because Primaluna uses high impedance circuits for interconnects make sure you set aside a tidy sum for interconnect cables. I always consider each purchase I make a life time investment. Mcintsoh is the proven leader in that respect. If you want to try something different. Look to ARC, but here again have a good reserve for maintenance.

Thanks for the input, some good points consider. Its sounds like you have some good knowledge to share so I appreciate that.
I have not found much on the C2600 either so if you have a link that would be great, not many reviews either.
As far as wanting tubes, that is something I want. I don't mind the additional cost and enjoy the aspect of tinkering with the sound.
Out of curiosity are you running a McIntosh setup now?

Agree...Checked and this is the only Dealer in TX that carries BOTH brands. Maybe a nice road trip or a call?
http://www.limpiasound.com/

I am not going to tell you what I purchased as I was not looking for Digital/Analog as C2600...Yet my budget was 10k. And Yes...I did look at Mac as I had 3 dealers selling both brands.

I look forward to what you Demo and return home with.

Thanks for the input, unfortunately I live in Dallas now but maybe Ill have to suck it up to demo both. I appreciate the link.

What ever you do, DON'T RUSH!

At $25k you have A LOT of options. Mac's main allure has been their looks. But if you look at a lot of audiophile systems you would be surprised at the names.

Hmm... It looks to me like the specs are available on the PrimaLuna web site... I am very happy with the performance of my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium PreAmp... This PreAmp fronts for a MC152 power amp and a pair of Martin Logan ESLs... I have rolled in Golden Lions all around and a pair of CIFTE NOS up front... In my listening space my system sounds pretty damn good... Holographic with air and sparkle...

Do have a listen to both the MC2600 and PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium PreAmps... Only your ears can choose what is right for you...

Cordially,

DD

He's all mac, and is a retired system installer for home and businesses.

Interesting I didn't know a audio company could stay in business for 67 years because of a look.
OK I'm' going to say it. I'm starting to get the feeling that Mac is riding on it's name and history. Every time I have auditioned a system, even with cash in hand and wanting to buy a Mac, I always seem to walk away thinking that for that kind of money I COULD get better. Not better looks but better sound. Mac did have a golden age. But at those prices you really have to start looking with an open mind and ear.

OK I'm' going to say it. I'm starting to get the feeling that Mac is riding on it's name and history. Every time I have auditioned a system, even with cash in hand and wanting to buy a Mac, I always seem to walk away thinking that for that kind of money I COULD get better. Not better looks but better sound. Mac did have a golden age. But at those prices you really have to start looking with an open mind and ear.
Listening to gear in a showroom is a far cry from listening to it in your home. I've owned Mc for three decades now and can count on one hand how many impressive demos I've heard with Mc gear in showrooms ...

Every time I have auditioned a system,
Interesting, I'v never heard anything that sounded good walking into a store. One needs to acclimate to whatever they are using over days and weeks and in their own space to come to any valid decision.
I always seem to walk away thinking that for that kind of money I COULD get better.
This really is the crux to the decision you'v made, price.

And here you are in a thread for what reason? any help to the OP?
BTW a C2600 doesn't cost anywhere near $25,000. Maybe if the OP buys both units he's contemplating he'll get close to that.

For some reason I am just drawn to this brand.
Well go with what moves you in looks if thats the case. However there is Aways the time when we sell and our investments should also hold value. Think about that....

Also there is nothing wrong with buying used....

If I may be so bold as to suggest that the preamps under consideration are two very different beasts... The McIntosh C2600 is a PreAmp and DAC with Phono MM and MC phono stage... The PremaLuna is PreAmp and has an add-on Phono stage (and no DAC)... The C2600 uses 2 tubes per set of stereo path... The PrimaLuna uses 3+1 tubes for a stereo channel (thats 6 tubes for a single set of stereo path)... It is my belief that the C2600 is a hybrid design where the PrimaLuna is an all Tube path... I am not saying that one design is better than the other... I am only pointing out that they are different designs and has different features... Again only the OP's ears can choose what is right for him...

Cordially,

DD

I have owned the Mac C2200, 2300 and 2500 preamps. You sure could do a lot worse buying some other brand. If you want to include a DAC and phono stage, you should consider a McIntosh preamp. If you already have a McIntosh amp that should push you towards the same brand preamp.

I went total SS ( C52 preamp and MC152 amp.) There is a synergy to using the same Mac units.

Old thread but I'll chime in. I've had a C2200 new for 9 years. I've also had the Primaluna Dialogue premium for 2 years now. I haven't had the C2200 hooked up for a year now and just sold it. I like the PL better and is less of a dark heavy sound for my maggies. Primaluna gets a bad rap for.. well, not being an overpriced Mcintosh I guess.

Old thread but I'll chime in. I've had a C2200 new for 9 years. I've also had the Primaluna Dialogue premium for 2 years now. I haven't had the C2200 hooked up for a year now and just sold it. I like the PL better and is less of a dark heavy sound for my maggies. Primaluna gets a bad rap for.. well, not being an overpriced Mcintosh I guess.
PrimaLuna makes great gear. I see the skeptic's point, but I wonder how many have auditioned PrimaLuna gear before they decide they already do not like it.

I have zero experience with the preamps in question. But I have owned both McIntosh and Prima Luna gear. My Mac gear was somewhat vintage SS gear, built like a tank, and was great! I traded a couple of Mac pieces for my Prima Luna mono blocks, because I love tubes. You can’t lose with either preamp I’m sure. Both companys make top notch equipment. I absolutely love my Prima Lunas, fantastic sounding well built amps and drive my speakers as well as my SS amps have.
Just my 2 cents...

I will say I am fond of McIntosh, that's why I have Urei crossovers and equalizers, Crown Parametric equalizers and owned 3 DC-300'As, still have 2 D -150 A's , owned a P2sa. DBX processors, Marantz components and a bunch of Pioneer and Pioneer Elite. I have owned so much Sony , its probably the largest brand in numbers. Revox CD players. R2R and cassette machines don't count because Mac didn't make any. I have and still own Thorens, and have owned Dual, Miracord, Garrard, and Empire. So saying I own Mac and may like Mac, but there are reasons. Durability, dependability, available service, sound quality, building a product that exceeds specs. In the days of tubes it was the only one. Even Marantz products were on the ragged edge of compromise after a 1000 hour or so. Now Mac doesn't have a monopoly on great sound. I tried them all thru the 70's and chose Crown for amps My speakers interfaced better with Crown amps. Of course when Mac came along with the MC 7100 and 7200 that all changed. I got plain tired of sending amps to Crown to be rebuilt and when Harmon took over I wrote Crown off and when I decided to get into HT in 2008 and 9 I went back to Mcintosh power. But I use their amps that are direct coupled. My speakers still don't like transformers and autoformers. They need a high damping factor.

I like the idea that Mac's Tube stuff are actually Hybrids. It. allows tubes to be their best. The new 275 is not my frist generation 275 either. The bass is more dramatic, the amps highs are better and the midrange more revealing. I would still like them to make a 50th anniversary version of the MC 3500 rated at 500 watts using the same tubes with upgrades. Quiet fan would be nice,too, balanced circuitry and more advanced power supply . The 3500 was rated at almost half the distortion of a 2300 and had a higher signal to noise ratio. The big difference was two 3500s cost $2200.00 and a single 2300 cost $1800. I would still prefer the two 3500's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom