Vintage film cameras

@kaplang, I thought reciprocity failure was invented by Kodak to give us more time to listen to audio while waiting for an exposure to form.

25123626468_7faa37a587_z.jpg

My Canon collection includes the AE-1 (black body), F-1, FTb, AE-1 Program, and the A-1 (anyone here remember "hexaphotocybernetic"?). I also have an EOS-1n and LOVED that camera, having bought it when I was sure damned digital was still years away from replacing 35mm film at the time and I'd just discovered Fuji Velvia. No prizes for guessing how wrong I was there.
Two years ago I found a Zip-Loc bag full of exposed film I'd shot at races and airshows years before. The local camera shop charged a ridiculous premium for developing each of these rolls. According to them there was only one lab left still processing 35mm color film these days. Not sure if that's true. Hoping it's not. Digital is quicker, cheaper, more convenient . . . but there was still something about real film....

That's interesting. My local camera shop actually does color processing right there on the premises. It's B&W that they have to send out.
I can get 36 exp color developed and scanned on disc for about $10.

upload_2018-1-16_0-23-29.png upload_2018-1-16_0-33-29.png upload_2018-1-16_0-34-39.png upload_2018-1-16_0-37-5.png upload_2018-1-16_0-38-42.png upload_2018-1-16_0-41-30.png
My Canon collection includes the AE-1 (black body), F-1, FTb, AE-1 Program, and the A-1 (anyone here remember "hexaphotocybernetic"?). I also have an EOS-1n and LOVED that camera, having bought it when I was sure damned digital was still years away from replacing 35mm film at the time and I'd just discovered Fuji Velvia. No prizes for guessing how wrong I was there.
Two years ago I found a Zip-Loc bag full of exposed film I'd shot at races and airshows years before. The local camera shop charged a ridiculous premium for developing each of these rolls. According to them there was only one lab left still processing 35mm color film these days. Not sure if that's true. Hoping it's not. Digital is quicker, cheaper, more convenient . . . but there was still something about real film....

I agree....started collecting nice film cameras around 30 years ago, with the intentions of them eventually becoming part of my retirement fund when it came time to sell them off (yeah, RIGHT). I have a cabinet full of film cameras (and a freezer full of film) that aren`t worth anywhere near what I had hoped for....sad, ain`t it ? But, on the flip side, it`s still nice to take a couple out and fondle them once in a while....they function so silky smooth, and feel exquisitely-built.

I have also shot a fair amount of Velvia, mostly in 645 and 6x7 format....it makes colors pop like nothing else, eh ?

If it was Kodachrome, then the store would have been right up to several years ago. But now even the one place that still processed has stopped.
All it takes is looking at Kodachromes from the 50s and before to realize what a loss this is. No color medium is as archival, and very few, if any, were as natural in their color balance and contrast.

I haven't tried their services, but Dwayne's (no affiliation, BTW) prices seemed pretty reasonable last time I checked.
I agree - there is something about film. With digital, there is pretty much zero cost per exposure, so I find the tendency is to shoot more, and select after teh fact. With film, I look and think more and shoot less.....

MaxxVolume do you use the Konica t3?I have one with several lenses and its one of my favorites.
Yep,
IMHO, the T3 can take The Pepsi Challenge against any of the other SLRs of that period....it`s a fine piece of kit, for sure. I had mine (along with my Koni-Omegas and Auto S3) gone through by the Konica Guru himself, Greg Weber. He did a CLA and battery conversion on it, it functions smooth as silk. I also have a few lenses for it, the ones made by Kiron, and the Vivitar Series 1 lenses are top-quality glass !

I also have a fondness for early-70s Japanese rangefinders, managed to accumulate a few of them as well. Possibly the best of all of them is the Konica Auto S3, it has a unique "light blending" compensation that yields the most natural-looking flash photos you`ve ever seen....
upload_2018-1-21_16-36-2.png

If you like Konica and rangefinders, check out the IIIA and IIIM. One of the best viewfinders ever made - like the Leica M3, it's lifesize, very bright and contrasty, but , in addition to parallax correction, the finder frame changes size as you focus closer. They are fixed lens cameras, so no multiple frames like the Leica, but the lens is outstanding, sharp and contrasty. The film advance, though may not lease everyone - its a lever sticking out of the lens barrel and you advance the film and cock the shutter by pushing down on it twice.
They are durable cameras also, though the enormous meter on the IIIM may have problems.

Here's a picture taken with my early-1950s Samoca 35 III, a rather tiny but heavy for its size camera from the time post-WWII when Japanese camera makers were just starting to try to compete with European makers. The original was taken with some expired Fujicolor 200, and I'm not sure if the magenta color shift I got was from the film or perhaps lens coatings that were better for black-and-white than for color film. I converted several of the scans to monochrome, which looked better. Here's our donkey, Oscar, grazing in the pasture:

vgiIEU_iXwvUSM4pXMtd16Gt2aXjPAlX1XU33B1LnP4F1aEDfEsq3ZmNGY-tOi9Zdhxr7bxnnLlE36xlV9OKd--XSxdi4GC1ELqJs-O1aAYBCYu0vFnHW3wZ5wqJCc9342FZ3iNFuVy_tq2_9zcJZ1jlYsI_ygEZqn42CRBoOJrbLIdRU3df5qj_p2xnmKKXQ3TaIljle2miJ6sviU5ft1llDWiBkdJMBPbEQm3bbBWVgQmSCzJe8Tkg3u0d8CTzLN40OkHhtse9u--UwRU6hTmByUGbln9Y5ZWDRm7rld6rYFQkKaOg7yrpPAIN2M8uZW-kNQEdOe1XqVch2OG2rgIAdnWpsWZSlVL9iQcOOwj4zCNxVftPiLA7kjpRtlEmesf1tM3z5RMN7yCilYtOValcHSsP0ywgXeTKvCBO2yXswRejkuXjp_QY6N7yhNVQYiT1MGY-AjjBRp_VGUE8RCPlWucaESQNQ0hG8qLnpEVIzl3QNPshK8CEFFGdYFm4sikx7sMqiBwaHAKbhpaElcoaLXOeQdmqae-SrMMgJoSZpZMjSKVmSvyGycy5m5fkwW6VbUTVTblTd1fCcyPs48B0QxvNR-FH=w485-h731-no

Back
Top Bottom