Where should you place your best Power Cord?

Hyfi

Addicted Member
Is there any rule of thumb as to what component will benefit most from After Market Power Cables?

If you have cords of varying value/performance, what component should you place your best cable on?

I have been reading that Source (CD Player) is where you see the most benefit, but would like more feedback from AS members.

Also, is larger gauge as important for Amps, or is 14 good enough?

I also use an APC H15 for my main 2 CH system which actually came with the most robust 12G cord of any component I have purchased.

Right now I have a Pangea AC14 SE MKII on each of my Pre Amp and CDP and a PS Audio AC3 on my Amp, all running thru my APC. I tried the Amp directly to dedicated outlet but preferred thru the APC as my normal incoming house voltage is low and the APC ups it closer to the norm.

On another forum, it was suggested that the best cable go to the APC. I am considering getting a few more but trying to decide if I need larger gauge going to the APC or if another PS Audio AC3 (12g) is good enough or if I should go to the Pangea AC9 (7g) cord to power the APC.

I am also wondering if the Pangea AC14 SE MKII is good enough for my Pre Amp or if I should step that up to another PS Audio AC3.

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences?

And just for the record, after replacing the 3 stock 16 and 18g cords with the above, I have what sounds like an entirely new system, for the better. I am actually stunned by the benefits I got as they are far from subtle.

Hey Hyfi,

In my experience my amp benefited the most from an upgraded power cord and I would put my best cord on my amp. My streamer also benefited from one as well, in that the noise floor lowered more which helped detail and resolution, which led to better tone and smoothness.

I use the same value/performance twelve gauge shielded cords on my amp and streamer but will be trying a ten gauge shielded cord on my amp soon (even though probably overkill I will at some point try a ten gauge cord on my streamer). I also have an APC H15 and like you said it has a nice beefy stock cable but when my budget permits I will put a ten gauge power cord on it as well.

Just for FYI, I use Cullen Cable power cords and have been very pleased with them. Also, all my power cords and interconnects are shielded.

Cheers,

Scott

Last night I swapped the PS Audio AC3 with the APC stock cord and my amp. It was suggested elsewhere that the best cord should go on the APC or whatever feeds the rest of the gear. I noticed tighter bass but also something changed with vocals, I need to listen more before swapping back. I plan to get another good cable for the APC soon.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions about the switch after the AC3 has settled-in for a few days.

Cheers,

Scott

Hey Hyfi,

The suspense is killing me. How's the AC3 doing on the APC?

I'm going to get the 10 gauge cord for my amp soon. It'll be interesting to hear. It has three things I haven't tried in my system; silver plated wire, rhodium plated carbon fiber body plugs and Teflon wrap. Wish me luck.

Cheers,

Scott

With my pre, amp and dac combined in an integrated might explain why I had such good results with a better power cord.

Cheers,

Scott

So far it sounds good. Appears to be a little tighter bass. I'm going to change it up a bit again and put the APC cord back in it's place and use the AC3 on the Pre and use an AC14 on the Amp temporarily. I am trying to decide what and how many more to buy since this has been the least expensive upgrade for a good return in my system.

Great. Glad the power cords are working out. Good cables and power cords really do make a difference. It is interesting.

Cheers,

Scott

I've always heard the biggest difference when I plug into the source, but that difference can go either way. Some sound better, others not so much. And, there are times when the stock cord is all you need......r1

Plug your best power cord into the wall outlet. Sorry, but it had to be said.

That's what I will be doing, along with the Amp having the same cord.

The cord that came on the APC is pretty thick shielded 14g so I will use that on another pc of gear. It wasn't bad at all powering the Amp when I tried the PS to the wall.

Good to see you're having fine results with your new cables. ;) My only hitch right now is being unable to use a better cord on my power amp, since I need a high quality IEC socket installed properly. The cord needs replacing anyway (the cord came with one three inch section wrapped in electrical tape, so I can imagine the jacket is at least badly scuffed, or there might even be bare wire beneath it). I am holding out for another PS Audio AC5 on that one, since I have the luxury of time. Both the digital source and the preamp are doing well with their new cables, and my best cable is between the conditioner and the wall outlet.

I think I would go with the amp, or power amp if you have a pre/power combo.

Lee.

So many subjective things to be said for the word " best ". My " best " power cord is just a 10 awg (10/3) SO cord pigtail that I added to a 1.5kva Topaz isolation transformer... I think it should just be the largest gauge cord to the piece that pulls the largest load. The term points (connection) should be the tightest possible, NEC code compliant, and it should be UL listed.

http://www.surplussales.com/Images/Transformers/Isolation/tp-91092-12_1_lg.jpg

The 10awg was overkill, because I also have an amp/volt meter just after the Topaz, and with everything cranked (2 systems) my peak usage is only ~ 6 amps on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. All of these pieces were kinda cheap for me, because I'm around electrical surplus. The .005 pf seems to be plenty to shield any noise, and if more is demanded by the super technical, they can have it.

Now if your "best" power cord is an oxygen-free, 30% silver conductor, iridium-gold plated stabs, with a braided kevlar jacket... then it doesn't matter, you will see amazing results no matter where you put it.

Last edited:
Now if your "best" power cord is an oxygen-free, 30% silver conductor, iridium-gold plated stabs, with a braided kevlar jacket... then it doesn't matter, you will see amazing results no matter where you put it.

Finally, someone that understands. This is such a true statement even the non-believers would see the light.

Hey Hyfi,

How's it sounding with the new cords on the APC and Oppo? I'm planning on ordering a 10 gauge power cord for my integrated as well as new speaker cable this week.

Cheers,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom