What is this?

vintage cltr

I know it's Christmas Eve, I know the pictures are upside down, & it was a bit cold here in the Midwest.

Can someone please tell me what style cabinet this is?

A presidential with down firing woofers?

Any help would be awesome....

Attachments

• 20171224_184858.jpg
    20171224_184858.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 20171224_184821.jpg
    20171224_184821.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 20171224_184951.jpg
    20171224_184951.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 194
  • 20171224_184737.jpg
    20171224_184737.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20171224_184652.jpg
    20171224_184652.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 191
RUN FAST ! RUN VERY FAST. It's a 1959, 60, or 61 FISHER PRESIDENT CABINET. As they all used the same MODERN cabinet it could be any of them. Speakers were Most likely Jensens. Turntable Garrard RC-88/4, 1959 Chassis: 101-R, 400-C, 100 amp. 1960 Chassis: 101-R, 400-C, 100 amp, RK-1 (remote)

www.fisherconsoles.com
1960PresidentIVModern.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's Christmas Eve, I know the pictures are upside down, & it was a bit cold here in the Midwest.

Can someone please tell me what style cabinet this is?

A presidential with down firing woofers?

Any help would be awesome....
RUN FAST ! RUN VERY FAST. It's a 1959, 60, or 61 FISHER PRESIDENT CABINET. As they all used the same MODERN cabinet it could be any of them. Speakers were Most likely Jensens. Turntable Garrard RC-88/4, 1959 Chassis: 101-R, 400-C, 100 amp. 1960 Chassis: 101-R, 400-C, 100 amp, RK-1 (remote)

www.fisherconsoles.com
1960PresidentIVModern.jpg

Even if all you find is the empty cabinet... it would be a treasure ! Those are the finest legs I've ever seen...

Those are the finest legs I've ever seen...
They ain't bad. But I've seen better legs on some Barracks Mattress'es (remember those???) and 300# Female KGB or FSB Polkovnik's. (Colonel)

Photo's correctly oriented.
Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Install new components as outlined in the Presidents TO&E as an option. Add some really good speakers, (Klipsch come to mind), a better 3 speed turntable than the RC-88/4 (AT-60 or A-70 Garrard, or a ELAC MIRACORD 50H-II) Update the Tuner and Amp a few years to a FM-200B or FM1000 and SA-300(s) or the X-1000. Get a 400CX-2 for the Preamp, and you've got a kick-ass Console. Oh Yeah, have the cabinet profesionally restored. There is a thread on here from a few months ago and deals with the weaknesses of the legs. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1961-fisher-president-vi-restoration.766491/ The OP is located in Kenosha so shouldn't be too far of a drive to see his.

Larry

I second the recommendation for the Miracord 50H series changer. The Garrards are nice too, but the Miracord has the cueing lever for stylus descent if using it manually. It uses silicone viscous damping fluid to provide a very gentle drop to a record surface and helps prevent record damage. Some of the President series came with tape recorder decks too. This one is a real treasure to find even if some of the electronics are missing.

Joe

They ain't bad. But I've seen better legs on some Barracks Mattress'es (remember those???) and 300# Female KGB or FSB Polkovnik's. (Colonel)

Photo's correctly oriented.
View attachment 1073790

View attachment 1073791

View attachment 1073792

View attachment 1073793

View attachment 1073789

Install new components as outlined in the Presidents TO&E as an option. Add some really good speakers, (Klipsch come to mind), a better 3 speed turntable than the RC-88/4 (AT-60 or A-70 Garrard, or a ELAC MIRACORD 50H-II) Update the Tuner and Amp a few years to a FM-200B or FM1000 and SA-300(s) or the X-1000. Get a 400CX-2 for the Preamp, and you've got a kick-ass Console. Oh Yeah, have the cabinet profesionally restored. There is a thread on here from a few months ago and deals with the weaknesses of the legs. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1961-fisher-president-vi-restoration.766491/ The OP is located in Kenosha so shouldn't be too far of a drive to see his.

Larry

Thanks larry. I already have talked to Pat about this one.

Get a couple of the larger Furniture mover dollies from Harbor freight and block the console up so the legs are off the ground until you can get them repaired or replaced. I'd go with whatever Pat recommends for repairing or replacing the legs. They don't look like the sturdiest of legs, and quite spindly at that.

There's a very clean and nice FM-200-B in a metal cabinet on eBay right now (no connection to this item or seller). You can easily find sufficient pieces to populate the cabinet. Let us know the changer and reel-to-reel recorder brand and model numbers.

Joe

Original Turntables was a Garrard RC-88/4. R2R was either a Tandberg or a Sony.

Turntable & reel to reel

Are your thoughts to restuff and restore to original glory? Let me Echo the " ditch the Garrard and go with an Elac " theme. If you can find a 10F ( this is the Fisher elac that says "fisher" on the arm) that's what I'd put in there...
Congratulations on gaining a project that many of us are jealous of.

The RC88 isn't *that* bad. Admittedly its not particularly amazing either. They are cool to watch, but that goes for any side pusher. I'd much rather an A70, its the best and last of the side pusher changers.

The RC88 isn't *that* bad. Admittedly its not particularly amazing either. They are cool to watch, but that goes for any side pusher. I'd much rather an A70, its the best and last of the side pusher changers.

I admit that I've seen a few RC88s and Type As that were restored by folks that invested hundreds of hours in them and got them operating like new.... they are pretty neat. I've delved into a couple of each, and I've never been able to get them to work the way they should. This must be because of my lack of fortitude, pulling them in and out of the console, once I think I finally got it, then, nope. I then just get so tired of f-ing with the things, that I move on. The Elacs and Duals, don't do that to me... or the VOMs

They're a little fussy to be sure. Very complicated mechanism, lots of hidden petrified grease that needs to be dealt with but once you get it right they work very well.

I have a RC88 in my Bell and Howell 866, which I do not like at all. So, I ended up using my Connoisseur.
I intend to bring this unit back to it's "somewhat" original glory. What I mean by that is, unless I find a 400cx2 for steal price, I will end up using a 400cx. I think I will be able to find a tuner. As for the amps, for the time being, I will be using a set of Dynaco Mark III's.

Before anyone goes crazy, let's be clear, Fisher equipment of this nature is not that readily available. It will be a work in progress, but finding the cabinet, I feel, was the hardest step.

I have a RC88 in my Bell and Howell 866, which I do not like at all. So, I ended up using my Connoisseur.
I intend to bring this unit back to it's "somewhat" original glory. What I mean by that is, unless I find a 400cx2 for steal price, I will end up using a 400cx. I think I will be able to find a tuner. As for the amps, for the time being, I will be using a set of Dynaco Mark III's.

Before anyone goes crazy, let's be clear, Fisher equipment of this nature is not that readily available. It will be a work in progress, but finding the cabinet, I feel, was the hardest step.

I think your plan seems prudent and reasonable. The visible pieces first, then, if providence allows, the rest. I'm jealous of the cabinet and the hunt for the treasure ! lucky !

None of the Presidents 1959-1961 used a CX-2. Note on the Early 61 line up. The 4000R = 101R, 4000C = 400c or cx. The 4000R and 4000C were the CONSOLE Model numbers for the standalone 101-R and 400C or CX. The 400-CX2 wasn't used in the President until 1962.

Back
Top Bottom