Gear rack/stands

Sorry WN, I bought mine off ebay late one night and dont know anything about the seller or builder. I love the look of it though. I all good conscience i can sell it like this and absolutely no time to fix it.

So on the shelf it will sit until the estate sale after i die in 30 yeaes. They will get 20 bucks for it.

Sorry WN, I bought mine off ebay late one night and dont know anything about the seller or builder. I love the look of it though. I all good conscience i can sell it like this and absolutely no time to fix it.

I bought mine off Ebay as well. The seller was the builder. His name is Dave Ricciardi. (I asked permission to give credit to him) I'm wondering if he built yours as well...maybe one of his earlier ones. To my knowledge he has built several Magnavox amps in this style. I know of mine and one that is red and white based off a different tube amp by Magnavox.

I have seen those amps as well, almost bought one myself. Glad now I didn't. They do have a cool look to them though....

I did a major reorganizing of my computer and audio equipment today. I moved my media server to my newer A/V rack which required relocating the UPS closer to that corner of the living room. I had to move some network cables and find longer speaker wires for the subwoofers, too. Luckily I'll only need to purchase a couple of minor items to make it all fit together again.

I'm moving my two channel audio rack closer to that same corner so I can fit one more comfy chair in the room for group movie watching.

The next step is to move my printer to it's new location and mount my main stereo amplifier in the aluminum audio rack. And hook up a few more speakers. {grin}

1koolcat_AV_rack1.jpg 1koolcat_two_channel_rack.jpg

Anybody have a single audio shelf solution? Here’s a pretty silly mock up. I don’t have access or time for a diy solution. Just want to put my preamp above the CD player and DAC. Limited space on this ikea shelf. Since getting married and having a baby, now toddler, I don’t see us using my salamander rack for a few-everal years.

It’s for a modest system.
Technics sl1600mk2 with (pmount adaptor)Stanton D737 with d72s stylus to emotiva phono pre amp going analogue in on the emotiva dac. Oppo 980h going coaxial into the Emotiva DC-1 dac. Bryson 2B-LP pro monoblocks powering Vandersteen 1C’s. I have a recently recapped audible illusions 2D that just makes this system come to life. The hours just disappear. Not that I have hours anymore, but I’d like to set it on a shelf in the middle. I have looked on and off for a few years and have toyed with the idea of making something. Just can’t get it together.
Any suggestions for a pre made or a plan, or someone who would make something for less than $80?

Should I start a new thread? I'm coming from headfi, where starting new threads unnecessarily is frowned upon.

Attachments

• CCEE2BB2-6307-40E9-B660-60488D4E8E5C.png
    CCEE2BB2-6307-40E9-B660-60488D4E8E5C.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. Not really. The turntable is pretty isolated, and if it was wall mounted would essentially be in the same spot. I guess that would free up some space, but for now, since we may move the shelf around, etc, I’m looking for a single shelf solution with long enough legs. Maybe something adjustable. A pre cut piece of lumber with some big metal bolts or poles is all I can think of. Just not so great at finding something like that.

My DIY in the forum here somewhere. Thick baltic birch. A few different 80/20 profiles. SUPER solid.
Agreed--that 80/20 stuff is industrial-grade rock solid, and I like the quarter-rounds on the corners. That's a great job integrating the birch shelves with the aluminum.

Anybody have a single audio shelf solution? Here’s a pretty silly mock up. I don’t have access or time for a diy solution. Just want to put my preamp above the CD player and DAC. Limited space on this ikea shelf. Since getting married and having a baby, now toddler, I don’t see us using my salamander rack for a few-everal years.

It’s for a modest system.
Technics sl1600mk2 with (pmount adaptor)Stanton D737 with d72s stylus to emotiva phono pre amp going analogue in on the emotiva dac. Oppo 980h going coaxial into the Emotiva DC-1 dac. Bryson 2B-LP pro monoblocks powering Vandersteen 1C’s. I have a recently recapped audible illusions 2D that just makes this system come to life. The hours just disappear. Not that I have hours anymore, but I’d like to set it on a shelf in the middle. I have looked on and off for a few years and have toyed with the idea of making something. Just can’t get it together.
Any suggestions for a pre made or a plan, or someone who would make something for less than $80?

Should I start a new thread? I'm coming from headfi, where starting new threads unnecessarily is frowned upon.

Why not do a smaller version of this rack by kgc2260 (take a look at pic #1):
New here. I built this from reclaimed lumber and pipe. I was able to route my wires through the pipe and ended up with a very clean install which is what I was after. Another advantage to building your shelves/rack is the ability to make the dimensions to fit your gear

You could use 1/2" or 3/4" pipe (or just wood/plywood for "legs") and easily add another one (or two) butcher block(s) to your current one. Could/would look nice IMO. Many options possible for what you want.

Last edited:
First pic : Main living room A/V rack assembled from 4 three foot in height Raxxess brand knock down racks, bought in 1995 from American music supply(AMS)
Assembled and beefed up by me with heavy duty L brackets in the near front and back of the insides and large bolts tying each rack to each other after squaring them to each other..
Then securing a 3/4" measured to fit the bottom of the "rack system" piece of plywood, so that I could install 8 80 pound rated hard rubber pivoting castor wheels.IMG_0167.JPG

This second picture is another knocked down for assembly Raxxess single 29" high rack with one side sloped, & the other side straight with integral castors that I also bought from AMS for my surround amplifiers and Yamaha 1/3 octave EQs with a Panamax surge/spike protector to take care of it.IMG_0175.JPG

And the third picture is a nice display finished hard wood rack of unknown brand that I talked the Mac dealer to toss in when I bought 4 MC1201s from him in Nov. 2003 so I would have a place for 2 of them in my sunroom for my living room`s tri-amped Mac speaker/amplifier system`s low frequency.amplification.

It had no castor wheels or rack rails in the back, so I mounted a cut sheet of 3/4 plywood to fit on the bottom and mounted 6 of those triangle small wheel furniture roll around movers that are rated @ 200 lbs. each.
I then bought some rack rails and a stick of hard wood furring strips to create a rear of the rack, for any IMG_0180.JPG rack mounting capability for what ever might need to be rack mounted back there..

OKB

^^^^^^^^^Some great looking gear you have there @Bill Ferris :thumbsup: I know firsthand that the 3rd picture does not do justice to those monsterous 1201's. I can just imagine it was a bear mounting them in that rack as well. I still haven't decided how I'm going to mount mine long term and hopefully I'll come up with a permanent solution before the year is over.
I'm also thinking there's about 400lbs of Mac gear in your 3rd picture. :yikes: No wonder you had to use 6 of those heavy duty casters

First pic : Main living room A/V rack assembled from 4 three foot in height Raxxess brand knock down racks, bought in 1995 from American music supply(AMS)
Assembled and beefed up by me with heavy duty L brackets in the near front and back of the insides and large bolts tying each rack to each other after squaring them to each other..
Then securing a 3/4" measured to fit the bottom of the "rack system" piece of plywood, so that I could install 8 80 pound rated hard rubber pivoting castor wheels.View attachment 1150286

This second picture is another knocked down for assembly Raxxess single 29" high rack with one side sloped, & the other side straight with integral castors that I also bought from AMS for my surround amplifiers and Yamaha 1/3 octave EQs with a Panamax surge/spike protector to take care of it.View attachment 1150307

And the third picture is a nice display finished hard wood rack of unknown brand that I talked the Mac dealer to toss in when I bought 4 MC1201s from him in Nov. 2003 so I would have a place for 2 of them in my sunroom for my living room`s tri-amped Mac speaker/amplifier system`s low frequency.amplification.

It had no castor wheels or rack rails in the back, so I mounted a cut sheet of 3/4 plywood to fit on the bottom and mounted 6 of those triangle small wheel furniture roll around movers that are rated @ 200 lbs. each.
I then bought some rack rails and a stick of hard wood furring strips to create a rear of the rack, for any View attachment 1150326 rack mounting capability for what ever might need to be rack mounted back there..

OKB[/QUOTE

The tv table is so classy. So MCM.

^^^^^^^^^Some great looking gear you have there @Bill Ferris :thumbsup: I know firsthand that the 3rd picture does not do justice to those monsterous 1201's. I can just imagine it was a bear mounting them in that rack as well. I still haven't decided how I'm going to mount mine long term and hopefully I'll come up with a permanent solution before the year is over.
I'm also thinking there's about 400lbs of Mac gear in your 3rd picture. :yikes: No wonder you had to use 6 of those heavy duty casters

Yes Sir, I was very concerned about that rather concentrated load. and spreading it out amongst the area of that rack`s base, especially sitting on my sunroom`s tile floor..
Good thing it has not needed to moved more than an inch, since a couple my younger "buff" weight lifting friends placed the amps in there for me..
I seem to remember the beasts weigh about 175 each, not including the around 75 lb`s. sunroom Mac MC2205 with the much lighter two Velodyne 400 watt ULD 15 sub amps that are used with it and with whatever tube amp that I own, or am testing, that`s switched in for quarterly rotation ..
I always over engineer, as much as reasonably possible..
It ain`t cheap, but, I never worry anymore about electrical or physical equipment mounting load failures..

Thank you again for your interest..

Take care and have a great and enjoyable holiday spring weekend.

Most kind regards, Over Kill Bill(OKB)

I'm always reconfiguring racks and various gear so this might be a good thread for me :)
Lots of staging of components , speakers, stands etc so that people can "imagine" what it could could like in their set up. Granted I often just plop a unit on the kitchen counter (gently of course) and snap pics there too. I took this shot to show the ROGERS LS2 speakers, and later used the photo in other listings including the Usher Amp, Logitech Transporter, and most recently the Salamander Rack.

DSC_0160.JPG

Back
Top Bottom