Any model train enthusiasts?

How about some live steam toys and accessories? Part of my father's collection of Weeden.

Attachments

• Phone 10-30-15 048.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 048.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 050.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 050.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 051.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 051.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 052.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 052.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 053.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 053.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 054.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 054.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 055.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 055.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 056.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 056.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 057.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 057.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Phone 10-30-15 058.jpg
    Phone 10-30-15 058.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 32
Hey guys I found that great documentary made by French director Jean-Pierre Gorin. It's called Routine Pleasures. Here's a Turner Classic Movies blog post about it.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=1267458|1267569&name=Routine-Pleasures

And here's the 1-hr documentary online. It appears you have to sign up to watch it but it's also free. I think I saw it on TCM or somewhere so I haven't watched it off this site.

http://picamov.com/play.php?movie=tt0274069

I thought it was a great documentary - this club has been in the same building for a LONG time and the whole history is there, including all the gray haired lifetime train nerds with engineer caps.

I had an American Flyer layout as a youngster and then got into Gilbert HO's later. Read Model Railroader religiously. Son had a cool vintage Lionel Santa Fe set that I helped him set up in the basement, but is in storage now. Have always been interested in trains.
When we moved to Sac in the early 90's, I worked as a docent at the CA Railroad Museum for a couple of years. It is a great place to visit.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

Few of my O gauge steamers. I mainly only break them out after Thanksgiving through New Years. They take up a lot of space.
I will take some pic this year and post them. Nothing special, just fun.

XGIb6j9lMEa7sAraw614Yu62ODSMW-e2raCzdHouxdGy3Ds74A5JK9LDuNxf14GyrETrOnzc_T-sBFRjQrGw5UTn0_tKgqNVbevIpnKiR8dZq0uRj4BNAz7skzwOd2A18V215VGxJBnz9UvoQHik76wRJXD1tVMWPh5LmwhH_v_sYoWn34kKtoz9Of5snFqONbxoVzc9ATRd_f0utCUtiehSiDSA4G7cM-7VTT587J3NxCmgd0bf-MVi1MVWBV0n0gYdborCiz8xnIkXVjnvxLRBCdBhOsiHL8jpKJx0UMZIbkfvU6Kpi_olmD7Ev8FA8YFXa3LueA349_3iHzRa1p7hrAc4FVFszbNTlrlu25ZeEBYbNJRsl8gSAtAq0solxL9W4BRN9buARF0yc7qKmfXmTr7F3aZqnV4-oqwaDGQEtXLKA60u4gmaJgcRPDGNaJnFcpNmxdjRer-yX-eMeZyTBHzIQyLxciQrpzdxnqYpMddplwMjPHSybcdHubrxnO3NS-hS6ryY7M6DrT_Wk3RT-ifnLjzZfrtMqYqr2qISr7nnyh1D7YzFiFf7YoP7XzktFFCNk2fKBzrJcN7AHhKD3SIvTzlodWv1ICgRdA=w999-h663-no

Just saw this thread.

I had an HO layout as a kid. As we were starting to clear my Dads house for sale a few years ago, I dug the engines and cars out of the attic. Unfortunately (or probably fortunately, as I now live 3,000 miles away), the layout was exposed and beyond repair.

I brought the cars back home with me, and the wife told me she'd always wanted a train set as a kid. Kind of strange for a female raised in mainland China, but whatever. So I started perusing Craigslist for layouts or track.

I ended up with what used to be the Vallejo Model Railroad Club layout. I assembled 8 pieces (out of 13), it's roughly 8' x 23'. I figured at that size we'd stick it in the barn, but the wife wanted it in the game room. So much for my future pool table..

Here it is. We've gotten the 3 main lines working all the way around, and are working on powering the switches and getting all the side tracks working.

IMG_2479.JPG
IMG_2480.JPG

That looks great bshorey!

I've seen layouts that pull up to the ceiling on ropes and pulleys...might still be room for that pool table. :smoke:

About 10 months ago, I wrote: "...The layout I have (still up for grabs, for no money if I don't have to touch it) was something my dad bought at a church rummage sale because his make-your-own plans never materialized... So it's time to let someone else take it and run, and get a good head start."

It's still available... Central Ohio.

Chip

Just noticed this thread, always wanted a train set and was thinking about getting a N gauge steam train for our den for next Christmas. What are good starter brands to look for? Is Craigslist the place to get used stuff? The auction site seems pretty high priced for what I'm looking for.

Track work needs to be PERFECT in N scale. You'll need great eyesight and steady hands. Do your research before buying anything but how-to books. I used to work at a hobby shop and I was one of the model train guys.
Id get the book "Track Planning for realistic operation" by John Armstrong as a minimal start. This will help you decide IF you have the space to do a layout that won't bore you to tears after 1 month.

I was only planning on having it up once a year from after Thanksgiving until New Years so I wouldn't need a super fancy layout, but the fussy track work may be an issue, my eyes are going and I have a little shake in my hands. I thought N gauge would be the way to go since it appears to be small and light and wouldn't take up much room, but I may have to rethink this......

Really like those steam engine videos by the way, that's what I want to get. My wife's family is from Swansea UK and they worked in the mines there in the 40s and 50s, thought it would be cool to get some British steam locos and coal cars.

When I was 10 years old I got a Märklin "Mini Club" starter set 8900 (1:220). It was the smallest model train system back then. Unfortunatelly I do not have it anymore. However - holding it in my hands made one of the happiest days in my childhood.

Last edited:
My wife gave me gift cards for Christmas and I used them to buy a Hornby Duke of Gloucester 71000 train set.View attachment 842364
I always wanted an electric train set when I was little but never got one. When I got older, I thought I was too old for them but I recently decided that it's now or never.

Interesting choice of prototype. I thought there was only one built of the class. (If you pick a more common prototype, the cost of tooling can be more justified by selling dozens of versions in different numbers and liveries)

What I like about railway modeling compared to other modelling hobbies is the "ecosystem" focus-- the buildings, the track plans, the tendency to look for a coherent and justifiable narrative behind track plans and operations. It's not just a 1:48 Spitfire or 280Z in a vaccuum.

My father wanted to do a steam-age LGB German narrow-gauge setup when I was young. When we built our house, we had part of the garage made into a conventional room dedicated for it-- but I want to do diesel-age HO with North American prototypes Unfortunately, I find myself drawn to far too many things that you can't make a coherent narrative for. "What sort of operation is running RS-3s alongside C44-9Ws?"

If you didn't get that train set you wanted for Christmas, mine is still (ugh) available in Central Ohio. Still free, too...

Chip

I have a storrage tote full of HO train stuff. I don't think it's seen the light of day in 20 years. It's stuff from the early 60's, I believe most of it is the Revell brand.

On my 10th birthday I came home from school and found an American Flyer train set up on the floor of my room. It was my birthday present from my parents. That set is long gone but I have been able to find the engine and cars ( EBay ) that made up that set and have it displayed in my music room. The engine is the 336 ( 4-8-4 ) and I believe it was the biggest engine American Flyer made.
A4C20A56-1B4C-4721-A9CA-8C1A580530EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom