Top Marantz Integrated? Popular opinion

MBuras

Restoration is an Addiction
I currently have a pretty large collection of restored Marantz (and other) receivers and integrated amps. But realizing despite the blue glow appeal of the receivers I might be more interested in focusing on a nice quality integrated amp. If I sell my 2285, 2325 and others what should I use that money towards? 1150? 1200? 1250? I’m sure someone will mention separates. Might be an option as well.

I have to say one of my current favorites is my restored Sansui AU-717 with its combo of slightly warm sound and power & accuracy but not a huge fan of the looks.

Mike

I currently have a pretty large collection of restored Marantz (and other) receivers and integrated amps. But realizing despite the blue glow appeal of the receivers I might be more interested in focusing on a nice quality integrated amp. If I sell my 2285, 2325 and others what should I use that money towards? 1150? 1200? 1250? I’m sure someone will mention separates. Might be an option as well.

I have to say one of my current favorites is my restored Sansui AU-717 with its combo of slightly warm sound and power & accuracy but not a huge fan of the looks.

Mike
I had a 1250 and the sound before and after Recap was OK. As my SS collection is limited...For Marantz I still have 1060,2230 and 7T.
BUT I do agree with you about Sansui (looks)..have a Sansui AU-516 (recapped) that has a deeper sound/soundstage that is a keeper.

Thanks for the info. And good point. I’m definitely looking to stay with SS. I have zero tube experience and don’t need another rabbit hole to travel at the moment.

I've had most of the major "brands" of integrated amps. Went through that phase in the 90's. I had a few Sansui's, nice but didn't really excite me. Pioneer was clearly not my taste. Of all the integrated amps the Marantz 1200 was my all time favorite. Other than Marantz, Luxman made some REALLY nice integrated amps. I've had a few. Very different in sound signature but very good. However with any vintage audio - restoration is in the cards.

I’ve definitely been doing a little more research on the 1200. Seems like it might fit the bill.

Not only a great sounding amp, but also a great looking amp....Rotel RA-1412.

I am just now fixing a lowly pm44se.......blew fuse........cracked solder at the bias tr! Easy fix. This is a `straight-through` amp....no tone controls at all.......sound is pretty darn good for a 10 dollar purchase!

I’m not familiar with Accuphase at all. Anything in particular to focus on?

I'd consider the E-212/213 model. Sound is precise and controlled, but still reasonably warm for a high-end Japanese amp.
And being Accuphase, it's also beautiful to look at.

e-212.JPG

While I will always have a 1060 on hand for my daily driver - I would say that the 1200 is possible the best early integrated amplifier I own. It has plenty of power to drive speakers like Pioneer HPM100's. My runner up would be the Model 30 which might edge out the 1200 just a bit in the pre-amp category - Chris

While I will always have a 1060 on hand for my daily driver - I would say that the 1200 is possible the best early integrated amplifier I own. It has plenty of power to drive speakers like Pioneer HPM100's. My runner up would be the Model 30 which might edge out the 1200 just a bit in the pre-amp category - Chris
You know what's interesting about the 1060 is that I was watching a Movie about hired musicians called Hired Gun. Oddly enough there was one scene in a studio, or some listening area, where they were STILL using a Marantz 1060. Now the REALLY odd part is a recent movie. I've seen the 1060 in about a half dozen music execs offices, studios, etc... These were documentaries and not "movies". And some were recent and some were from the 70's through the 90's.

I believe the top Marantz integrated would be the PM-10. I am thinking of buying one in a few months.

I believe the top Marantz integrated would be the PM-10. I am thinking of buying one in a few months.
I'm looking forward to your review of it. I always wanted one but wasn't really able to afford one considering it would be taking "a chance". I bought the PM-8004 and to be honest I was very unimpressed in the long run. Nice piece but it was missing something.

I'm still wanting to try a model 30. The 1060 I have gets used almost every day being setup next to my bench and gaming computer.

Top 3 integrated you could hunt for
Accuphase e-202
Marantz 1180dc
Yamaha ca-2010

All have a unique total signature and built like a battle ship and will give you a totally different sonic experience to your Sansui 717 and others mentioned

Back
Top Bottom