What are you listening to on your reel to reel right now?

Interesting! R2R is THAT good eh? I'm mostly LPs and also listen to digital when just listening as background or like yesterday, rocking out at full volume and trying out a lot of different music. Youtube's quality is just getting better and better. But maybe that was the whiskey :)

Don't be surprised if my wife finds you and kicks you in the nuts in a few months because I went and bought that OTARI and started spending all my beer money on R2R tapes! :rflmao:
Well I have a handful of cheap components thrown together and it makes me smile everytime I turn it on. But yes even my wife last night said that sounds good! But may have been the beer too. Ha. If your wife ventures to middle of nowhere Arkansas to find the thrillbilly that talked you into it. I'm sure I'll live won't be first kick. Lol and you will be enjoying the fruits while I ice mine down.

Finally back in CO after a miserable trip to our place in CA. The Thomas fire left soot and smoke everywhere inside and the place still won't be habitable for quite some time so we got all our furnishings moved out for cleaning. It will be interesting to see how they will clean our audio equipment, like my prized albums and turntables, but it's all insured so whatever. Fortunately, all my tapes and decks are here in CO, so at least I can relax and listen to tunes on another snowless day. Up now is one of my favorite Jimmy Smith albums (and title track):
Jimmy Smith "The Boss"
1968 Verve

IMG_7096.JPG

Around 10 years ago, I worked with a bright young guy named Matt....college grad, quick on his feet, but his experience with music playback systems was limited to strictly MP3 players. He even thought CDs were archaic at that point. One day, he saw me looking at a nice Technics R2R deck on eBay...."what`s THAT ???", he wanted to know. So, I gave him the Cliff Notes version of how a reel deck reproduced sound, and he responded like I was talking about Amish horse and buggies.
"How can THAT possibly produce good sound ???" he asked.

"Tell you what", I said....why don`t you come take a listen, and judge for yourself. So, a few days later, he stopped by with Mike, another young co-worker. I seated them in a good listening position, and fired up one of the 1020Ls, with a good 7 1/2 ips CD dub of "Brothers In Arms", at a fairly healthy volume.

I had to smile when their jaws damn near hit the floor (and stayed there). After that, I put on some vinyl, a MFSL copy of dark Side Of The Moon. They must have said "WOW !" at least 49 times during that short timespan. They learned something that day....that "old tech" is not necessarily a bad thing....

Fresh out of the oven:
John Cruz "Acoustic Soul"
Supposedly a self-recorded original Master tape
IMG_7097-1.jpg
I got these tapes from Hawaii, and as expected, they were clearly stored in a very humid environment. Too heavy for my deck motors to turn, and too risky to play, I bake dried them for an hour. They appear to be studio masters (some tracks mono, multiple takes, etc), but oddly, they are recorded at 7.5 IPS. I was told Mr. Cruz produced his own album, but these seem strange. No matter, they sound great and the music is very relaxing!

Eric Weissberg and Steve Mandell - Dueling Banjos (from Deliverance)

WB 7.5 ips 4 track

24689549997_25bd93ba75_h.jpg

A Question of Balance

The Moody Blues

1970 Threshold M 204003 4-Track 7½ IPS

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

Back
Top Bottom