Show us your Motorcycles

I just saw this thread for the first time. I think it's great to find people with similar hobbies, even better to find people with multiple similar hobbies. I've been riding since I was 13 and have had quite a few bikes over the years. Motorcycling is my number one passion (followed by vintage audio, of course).

My current stable consists of a 2008 Yamaha WR250R dual sport and 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050. I recently sold a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere and will be picking up a 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure in the next couple months.

Here's the WR. (It looks much cleaner in the pic than it does now):

WR250R_May_21_2015_3-XL.jpg

Here's the recently departed Super Tenere:

Super_Tenere_101313_1000-X2.jpg

Here's me on the Tiger at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan:

Motoworks_Track_Day_Gingerman_2017_6-X3.jpg

Here's the soon-to-be-mine GS Adventure:

R1200GSA_1-X2.jpg

Thanks,
Joe

2007 Kymco People S 250, 250cc single cylinder, single cam, LC 4 stroke, tops out a little over 80 and has a 0-60 that will outrun a lot of passenger cars and even a few 250cc bikes.
107.jpg

This is it's current state in the middle of a winter rebuild/repaint. Getting a new belt, replacing the rollers in the variator with 18 gram Dr. Pulley sliders, carb upjet, new clutch springs, new Emgo exhaust and topping it off with a satin red on satin black paint job.

20171211_140848.jpg

I just saw this thread for the first time. I think it's great to find people with similar hobbies, even better to find people with multiple similar hobbies. I've been riding since I was 13 and have had quite a few bikes over the years. Motorcycling is my number one passion (followed by vintage audio, of course).

My current stable consists of a 2008 Yamaha WR250R dual sport and 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050. I recently sold a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere and will be picking up a 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure in the next couple months.

Here's the WR. (It looks much cleaner in the pic than it does now):

WR250R_May_21_2015_3-XL.jpg

Here's the recently departed Super Tenere:

Super_Tenere_101313_1000-X2.jpg

Here's me on the Tiger at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven Michigan:

Motoworks_Track_Day_Gingerman_2017_6-X3.jpg

Here's the soon-to-be-mine GS Adventure:

R1200GSA_1-X2.jpg

Thanks,
Joe

Wow! Those look like big dirt bikes.

What do you keep in the suitcases?

How far is the Starbucks from your house?

Wow! Those look like big dirt bikes.

What do you keep in the suitcases?

How far is the Starbucks from your house?

Chris,

The Super Tenere and GS1200 are referred to as 'Adventure Bikes'. They are very large and heavy bikes that are great street bikes and have SOME off-road capability. Given their size and weight they are surprisingly capable off-road. There are riders who take them on difficult trails but those are the exceptions. Most riders use them for exploring easier stuff like dirt and smooth dirt roads. There is also a significant group who use them for street duty only. One reason is that they are very comfortable due to their upright riding position and amount of leg room. Those large boxy bags also hold a lot of stuff so they're great for packing for camping or longer trips. Another reason is that they are the current trend in motorcycling. This trend has created a whole segment of accessories and clothing to portray the 'rugged individual' persona. I compare it to the SUV trend some years ago when people were buying Hummers and other large SUVs with huge knobby tires, brush guards, and winches for the 'look' and never drove them other than on paved roads. I belong to the street use group. My wife and I take at least one long tour a year, usually 10-14 days and several thousand miles and ADV bikes make perfect bikes for our purpose. The Tiger is my one-up bike for solo trips and occasional track days. For off-road use I use the WR250R. It weighs about half of what the ADV bikes weigh and is much more capable off-road. I'm not a young man and have no desire to wrestle a 600 pound motorcycle on difficult terrain.

For what it's worth, I have ridden around 300,000 miles lifetime and have ridden in 45 states and 5 Canadian provinces.

The nearest Starbucks is about half a mile from our house. I rarely go there but take the car when I do.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Aren’t you hot in that track suit?

(I have owned 2 BMW gs’s, a V-Strom and currently have a Super Tenere. I was just funnin’ with you :biggrin:

Aren’t you hot in that track suit?

Depending on weather, yes the leathers can be quite warm. This suit isn't too bad. It has a lot of stretch fabric in less likely impact areas that vents pretty well. But, I always say it's much cooler (and infinitely more pleasant) than human flesh sliding down asphalt at anything up 130 mph. Plus, those are the rules at track days and they're so much fun I'll gladly comply with the rules.

(I have owned 2 BMW gs’s, a V-Strom and currently have a Super Tenere. I was just funnin’ with you :biggrin:

No worries. As a motorcyclist I'm sure you're familiar with non-motorcyclist comments and understand how they can be annoying. You did a nice job of impersonating some of those folks!

Thanks,
Joe

Currently #1 on my fantasy list. Supposed to be in dealers by February. Our local dealer allows test rides. I could be in trouble. Serious trouble...

View attachment 1076666

I can totally appreciate your fantasy, they're awfully sweet. I finally got another Wing in May and went on a two week ride from PA to OH, IN, IL, IA, MN, SD, MT, ID, WY, CO, KS, MO, IN, KY, WV and back to PA again, in July. Hadn't done a long ride since '03, so I was Jonesing, and we had a total blast. It's a black, 2006 Wing with ABS and NAV, among other things, that I began falling in love with on day 1, during my ride home from it's original owner's home in DE to my home in PA. The trip West saw me falling totally in love with this bike. First day we did over 800 miles (I wanted to get West of Chicago in the first day), staying in a (not so) Super 8 in Peru, IL and I was tired, of course, but not sore and I was ready to ride to Mitchell, SD the next day with no problem, and the next, and the next... Without a doubt THE best motorcycle I've ever ridden (been riding since 14 and I'm 63 now), perfect for the kind of riding I like to do, long trips with lots of twisties and mountains. Lots of power, you can throw it around WAY more than you'd expect of a big touring bike, it handles wonderfully. I love it and I'm sure if you spring for one of the newer ones, Fisherdude, you will too.

The most astonishing thing about the all new 2018 Goldwing is that the vast majority of existing Wing owners hate it. Absolutely hate it. It is much sleeker and lighter, down 90 pounds from the '17, and believe it or not it's over 100 pounds lighter than a Harley Ultra. Gas tank is smaller, and, worst of all, the luggage space is down from 150 L to 110 L. The old Wing owners are saying it's no longer the worlds best long distance touring bike, it's now a hipster millennial sport tourer.

Well, I couldn't be more excited about it. The list of features and functions is beyond amazing. Can't wait to ride it.

Lil cycle....also have a 04 yz 125. 90 rm250. 72 Honda CT 70. 72 Suzuki RV 90. 68 Honda CT 90. 95 yz80 and a rutman goose 4 hp....the one in the pic is a 72 rupp hustler 4hp.

Attachments

• 20170616_212256.jpg
    20170616_212256.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The most astonishing thing about the all new 2018 Goldwing is that the vast majority of existing Wing owners hate it. Absolutely hate it. It is much sleeker and lighter, down 90 pounds from the '17, and believe it or not it's over 100 pounds lighter than a Harley Ultra. Gas tank is smaller, and, worst of all, the luggage space is down from 150 L to 110 L. The old Wing owners are saying it's no longer the worlds best long distance touring bike, it's now a hipster millennial sport tourer.

Well, I couldn't be more excited about it. The list of features and functions is beyond amazing. Can't wait to ride it.

I've gone cross country with considerably less luggage space and a smaller gas tank. I wouldn't consider it a negative, it's a built in excuse to stop more often!!! :) I'm sure I'd love it too but I think I'll stay "dumb and happy" and not ride one for ten years or so!

I've gone cross country with considerably less luggage space and a smaller gas tank. I wouldn't consider it a negative, it's a built in excuse to stop more often!!! :) I'm sure I'd love it too but I think I'll stay "dumb and happy" and not ride one for ten years or so!

I'm with you. I did 7,000 miles in three weeks this past May/June, and I'm a firm believer in "Turn it inside out and wear it again!"

I'm with you. I did 7,000 miles in three weeks this past May/June, and I'm a firm believer in "Turn it inside out and wear it again!"

My July trip was 7K miles in 13 days, which is a little more hurried than I like but we both only had two weeks and enjoyed the $hit out of it anyway. The fact is, it was a last minute trip to visit a good, old friend in the Northwest corner of Montana, who's health is poor and I didn't know how many more times I'd get to spend time with him. We didn't stay too long because he's trying to mend and I didn't want him to overdo it, like he did a month or two previously which brought on a heart attack.

My friend who went along was on a '99 Yamaha Road Star 1700 with leather side bags and a cylindrical, leather covered "trunk" so he could do it with that little bit of luggage space and had everything he needed and it's not like he's a kid either, he's a year older than I!

Cycle trips are such amazing adventures to take. Often my wife has asked me, in recent years mostly, "when are you going to grow out of riding motorcycles?" and I tell her, 'when I can't hold one up anymore!'.

The new Goldwing looks amazing to me. It did need to lose alittle weight. The whole front end is redesigned also. Plus you have an option for a auto trans .

Last edited:
Lil cycle....also have a 04 yz 125. 90 rm250. Honda CT 70. Suzuki RV 90. Honda CT 90. 95 yz80 and a rutman goose 3hp

Awesome mini bike! I'm hunting for one this year... my daughter turns 3 on the 10th... I want to do one up custom for before she turns 5

Back
Top Bottom