Stanton 681EEE New Cartridge Equivalents

Props as always to @needlestein for all the testing and knowledge. And for keeping the thread on track. :thumbsup:

The original D1200 is very special. The original D750 is very, very close.

I had a D750 come in the shop used, unknown hours. I've put a few hundred hours on it easily and it hasn't lost anything. Love it. I also have a D6800-EEEIIs and the D750 punches right up there with it.

It pains me that nothing new can (apparently) quite reach the magic of those higher-up-the-line styli.

And don't even get me started on the comparisons between those lines of Stanton/Pickering to an M97xe. Shure made some outstanding cartridges. Note the past tense.

The manual for my turntable suggests that the optimum distance from the back of the headshell washer and the stylus tip is 49 mm, which is what I set mine for. It is incredibly hard to judge vertical alignment and center position on the thing, though. I've done my best.

I am going to order the Jico D1200 since you think highly of it. At $56.00, it won't break the bank.

Well, iff you don't count the 22.00 for shipping., lol.

I don't know of anybody who is into vinyl in my area. I am going to try the D1200 stylus and see how it sounds. I think my 681EEE is probably a good enough cartridge for me, but I wanted to know what might be a suitable sub in case this one ever craps out on me. It would be interesting to have someone who had some cartridges to try. Hearing is believing.
Wasn't implying whether the Stanton was good or not, just that it might not be a good match with your arm/table and why you're having problems with sibilance. Synergy is a fickle mistress, it shows up at odd times. One of the reasons so many put together systems of matching gear, preamps, power amps, tuners, etc all not only from the same manufacturer but the same model line.

I have cartridges that vary wildly in price, but being more expensive doesn't automatically make one better than the other in every application. It's all about synergy, especially when it comes to this aspect of the hobby.

And this is why I mentioned the Grace cartridge and it's synergy with the Grace arm, no other reason.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have a Grace 707 mounted with a Stanton (an 881) and it's a great sounding combo.

That's just it, the Pickerings were awesome with 99% of the records with the Grace, outstanding actually. But occasionally with certain tracks on selected albums the sibilance would rear it's head.

In my conversation with Jico concerning their replacement stylus for the 1200 whether or not it's profile was identical to the OEM their response went something like this, "The finer diamond on the OEM 1200 has been known to chatter so basically their replacement is an improvement".

Already having the 625 on hand which by the stats appears to be identical to the Jico replacement stylus for the 1200, and it also had the same issue with the same selected tracks I decided against the purchase.

That's not to say it wouldn't have worked, I didn't try it, I decided to go another route and install the Pickering back on the Thorens where it's happier.

This may have nothing to do with how the Stanton performs, just because they can share stylus doesn't mean they perform the same using them.

Again, looking forward to the OP's review of the stylus, hope everything works out.

That's just it, the Pickerings were awesome with 99% of the records with the Grace, outstanding actually. But occasionally with certain tracks on selected albums the sibilance would rear it's head.

In my conversation with Jico concerning their replacement stylus for the 1200 whether or not it's profile was identical to the OEM their response went something like this, "The finer diamond on the OEM 1200 has been known to chatter so basically their replacement is an improvement".

Already having the 625 on hand which by the stats appears to be identical to the Jico replacement stylus for the 1200, and it also had the same issue with the same selected tracks I decided against the purchase.

That's not to say it wouldn't have worked, I didn't try it, I decided to go another route and install the Pickering back on the Thorens where it's happier.

This may have nothing to do with how the Stanton performs, just because they can share stylus doesn't mean they perform the same using them.

Again, looking forward to the OP's review of the stylus, hope everything works out.

I intend to report back on how I like the D1200. I have a feeling the EVG replacement I have is a bit quirky (read inconsistent). Anyone have experience with their shipping times?

How's Bluz Broz for styli? They have some NOS Stanton and Pickering in-stock, though a bit much. The D6800 EEE stylus is tempting for the price.

I'm having a hell of a time getting it centered in the headshell without them. Probably just stupidity on my part.
I see you have a Technics SL1200 M3D. Do you have the Technics gauge? If so just center the stylus tip or cantilever with the notch in the front of the gauge or just get a small ruler and center it that way.

I see you have a Technics SL1200 M3D. Do you have the Technics gauge? If so just center the stylus tip or cantilever with the notch in the front of the gauge or just get a small ruler and center it that way.

Minor quibble here. The Technics gauge is great for setting overhang but not azimuth. The "keyway" for the headshell locating pin is cut improperly on every gauge I've ever seen so aligning the stylus tip with the notch isn't possible without skewing the cartridge in the headshell.

John

Minor quibble here. The Technics gauge is great for setting overhang but not azimuth. The "keyway" for the headshell locating pin is cut improperly on every gauge I've ever seen so aligning the stylus tip with the notch isn't possible without skewing the cartridge in the headshell.

John
Well John Then I must have some very special gauges as I'm able to get my cartridges as I described in my thread dead center. Maybe you are doing something wrong or misunderstood my post.

Yeah, I must be doing something wrong...........:confused:

The slot at the top of the gauge "on every gauge I've ever seen" has been cut incorrectly. Note the quote. I'm not saying that 100% of them are off-axis but enough seem to be that it makes all of them suspect, IMO. There have been other posts here on AK mentioning this so I'm not the only person to have noticed this. It's usually pretty easy to spot with the naked eye.

John

Last edited:
Expensive, but could be worth it.

The Stereohedron ones are very tempting, but so expensive. I think I'll try the $80 D6800EEE though. About the same price as a JICO, but it's official (I think it says US manufacture). It is .4x.7 though.

Edit: Their email does not work anymore, so maybe they are closed?

The Stereohedron ones are very tempting, but so expensive. I think I'll try the $80 D6800EEE though. About the same price as a JICO, but it's official (I think it says US manufacture). It is .4x.7 though.

Edit: Their email does not work anymore, so maybe they are closed?
If the stylus in question is a D6800EEE it's a 0.02X0.07.

If the stylus in question is a D6800EEE it's a 0.02X0.07.
The stylus that eriathomas referenced was the D6800 EEE made by American Needle and sold by Adelcom/Bluz Broz; it is listed as .4 x .7 and tracks at 1.5-3 grams. They also offer the Stanton Magnetics original, a .2 X .7 mil, but for $326.12.

edit: Personally, I think y'all are crazy to take chances on 3rd party or old stock styli when there are plenty of current production cartridges and styli from original manufacturers to choose from, but it seems clear that a lot of people get great pleasure in finding ways to use these old, discontinued cartridges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom