ADS L2030 Restoration

I most certainly will. :D

I made a little progress today. I measured the risers, drew up a sketch and cut some 1x2" oak. I couldn't find oak in 2x4" size, so I plan on stacking two pieces of the 1x2" together to get more height. Even stacked, the height of the oak risers will still be a little shorter than the original risers, but they'll still clear the walnut trim around the bottom. And I plan on adding feet which will give a little more height. I haven't yet decided on feet.

In the pic below, the oak is not yet glued and screwed together, I just laid it out to see how well it matches the factory riser.

ADS L2030 Risers by Audio Database, on Flickr

Good to see you are using the 1x2 oak. Here is a company I have used for pads or glides...... https://www.allglides.com/

I most certainly will. :D

I made a little progress today. I measured the risers, drew up a sketch and cut some 1x2" oak. I couldn't find oak in 2x4" size, so I plan on stacking two pieces of the 1x2" together to get more height. Even stacked, the height of the oak risers will still be a little shorter than the original risers, but they'll still clear the walnut trim around the bottom. And I plan on adding feet which will give a little more height. I haven't yet decided on feet.

In the pic below, the oak is not yet glued and screwed together, I just laid it out to see how well it matches the factory riser.

Very nice, your calculations are spot on. It is in fact a 20/70 miter. Just finished building some Surrounds based off the L1230 and those were the angles I used. Your thoughts on stacking will work just fine and you did a great job thinking that though. I'm planing on doing the same soon with my L1230's but will use a 3" riser. Which, if that sticker which appears to be from Home Depot, is in fact from them they do have 3" widths. Although the thickness will be just shy of 1", 13/16" will work and still be steadier then the compressed wood ADS used.

I am so glad I'm not the only "anal retentive" individual out there. LOL. Good job covering the details ("God is in the details") as the old axiom goes. My dad drove that one deep into me as a kid along with "anything worth doing is worth doing right".

Looking good! A protractor was definitely critical in finding the angles.

Friend once told me, I did okay, but I miter done it better.:)

Have you decided if you were going to put some wheels on there? I'm curious because I've thought of that myself. But then thought put some blocks on the corners under there and attach some carpet sliders so I can move mine around. Heavy as they are, they are nothing like the weight those 2030's are. Can't even think how you got that one in the back seat of the truck.

Anyone that has large speakers really just needs to go get a suitably sized hand cart. Add the other large speakers that I have in my collection to my signature below and it is an absolute necessity for me.

My 910'a are a 100lbs. My cave is carpeted, so it was easy to slide them around while setting up the space when I brought the beasts down there.
Lifting them out of the car is a 2 person job, and luckily my son was around the day I brought them home.

I am so glad I'm not the only "anal retentive" individual out there. LOL. Good job covering the details ("God is in the details") as the old axiom goes. My dad drove that one deep into me as a kid along with "anything worth doing is worth doing right".
I was a machinist in past years, so 1/8" is about the bare minimum when it comes to tolerance, lol. I try to instill the same type of mentality in my 4 year old son. He "helps" me on these projects and just wants to know "is it time to cut the wood yet"? I tell him more important than cutting the wood is measuring the wood! We all know the saying: Measure twice, and accurately, and you only have to cut once :D. He gets bored from time to time, but he loves helping. And I'd like to think that he'll catch on when his age permits more patience.

Friend once told me, I did okay, but I miter done it better.:)

Have you decided if you were going to put some wheels on there? I'm curious because I've thought of that myself. But then thought put some blocks on the corners under there and attach some carpet sliders so I can move mine around. Heavy as they are, they are nothing like the weight those 2030's are. Can't even think how you got that one in the back seat of the truck.
The 2030s are the heaviest I've owned and moved yet. Being as slender as they are, they're surprisingly easy to manage. Still a two person job at minimum, though.

I literally bear hugged mine and waltzed them from the truck to the house. Seriously I did that. chuckling
I know this feeling all too well! I've single handedly "bear hugged" into my house: Legacy Classics, KEF 104/2, Altec Capistranos, Klipsch Chorus II's, etc. If they're under 120 lbs/ea, I can usually manage myself. The 2030s are a completely different story. I can pick them up, lay them down, walk them around, but I certainly cannot safely move them any distance alone!

Happy New Year, everyone!!:beerchug:

I was a machinist in past years, so 1/8" is about the bare minimum when it comes to tolerance, lol. I try to instill the same type of mentality in my 4 year old son. He "helps" me on these projects and just wants to know "is it time to cut the wood yet"? I tell him more important than cutting the wood is measuring the wood! We all know the saying: Measure twice, and accurately, and you only have to cut once :D. He gets bored from time to time, but he loves helping. And I'd like to think that he'll catch on when his age permits more patience.

The 2030s are the heaviest I've owned and moved yet. Being as slender as they are, they're surprisingly easy to manage. Still a two person job at minimum, though.

I know this feeling all too well! I've single handedly "bear hugged" into my house: Legacy Classics, KEF 104/2, Altec Capistranos, Klipsch Chorus II's, etc. If they're under 120 lbs/ea, I can usually manage myself. The 2030s are a completely different story. I can pick them up, lay them down, walk them around, but I certainly cannot safely move them any distance alone!

Happy New Year, everyone!!:beerchug:

Happy New Year Matt!!! Really enjoy this thread and appreciate bringing in the new year with a smile on my face for you to have those beautiful L2030's Don't'chu worry about the little one learning. It will all come back to him if you just keep saying it. My dad was a machinist as well, and looking back, I made it a point to NEVER listen to him. Until the day came I recall some of the lessons he tried to teach me .... and realized, he was successful, something I think now ... not only would have surprised him, but funny as it seems to me now, surprises me. After all, I grew up knowing all there was to everything .... or so we think growing up.:beerchug:

Unusual that all the drivers needed rebuilding. I read that ADS used a very close gap in the motors of their drivers, maintaining that tolerance will be critical for them to maintain the quality that was done at the factory.

As an aside, it does my heart good to see the following ADS speakers have here. They really "floor my boat" so to speak and it's nice to see that it's a shared opinion.I get "UPGRADE itis" on a regular basis (sometimes for no particular reason) but since the L1590 arrived (short a pair of 2030's) I have been cured of this curse.

As an aside, it does my heart good to see the following ADS speakers have here. They really "floor my boat" so to speak and it's nice to see that it's a shared opinion.I get "UPGRADE itis" on a regular basis (sometimes for no particular reason) but since the L1590 arrived (short a pair of 2030's) I have been cured of this curse.

I know that feeling well 2chman, I was so happy to find AudioKarma when I picked up a pair of ADS's. I had nobody to share my joy with. I'm still very much interested in finding a pair of L910's or a set of L1530's. Not forgetting about the L2030's, room or no room I'll move furniture out to own a set of those. Just seems to me those mentioned, are always up North too far for me to come get.

Unusual that all the drivers needed rebuilding. I read that ADS used a very close gap in the motors of their drivers, maintaining that tolerance will be critical for them to maintain the quality that was done at the factory.
It's not so much that they all needed rebuilt, I just prefer to rebuild them all and be done with one fell swoop of the checkbook. Some may find error in this mentality, but I don't want to chase driver failures with repeated and lengthy periods of downtime. I know for sure there were at minimum 3 mids and 1 woofer with distortion, so I decided to just rebuild them all and be done with it. It's a large expense but it's unlikely that I'll ever have to do it again.

I know that feeling well 2chman, I was so happy to find AudioKarma when I picked up a pair of ADS's. I had nobody to share my joy with. I'm still very much interested in finding a pair of L910's or a set of L1530's. Not forgetting about the L2030's, room or no room I'll move furniture out to own a set of those. Just seems to me those mentioned, are always up North too far for me to come get.
There's always been a strong ADS following here on AK. I got a severe case of upgraditus when I sold my 1530s and ran the speaker gauntlet with what I expected to be upgrades only to be disappointed (save for a wonderful pair of Aerial Acoustic 10T's). That experience should help keep me in check if I ever get the upgrade bug in the future. The L2030s will stay.

I started a thread "somewhere" asking "where to go from here" ie l1590''s and only got a couple ideas and they all were 3k plus used and 10k plus new. ADS are hard to beat except by other ADS speakers it seems!

Back
Top Bottom