Any model train enthusiasts?

Visited my uncle near Toronto in the early 70,s and his basement was fairly large and had several rooms and a train system went through several walls.I thought that was so cool.Didnt hurt that he had a full size pro pool table too!

I had a 6' X 9' HO layout well underway that I had to tear apart when we moved, I built a 4' X 16' table out in the shop thinking I would get right back in, but I seem to be leaning towards O so all the HO stuff, DCC controlers and all are up on CL to be converted into an O layout that includes a seasonal outdoor loop around a garden we're planning. I've been reading up on outdoor O, there's a a lot of information, seems to be a good way to get into outdoor fun without the cost of G scale.

Love this thread, remind me my grandpa's . He has a fairly large HO railroad and as a former electrical engineer, he automated a lot of stuff, lightning, railroad crossing barriers,etc.
When I was somewhat too young for it, he gave me some models and rails I then built one at my parents house, they still have it in the attic. Lotta good memories playing with the train !

We set up our LGB most every Christmas. This year I splurged and put in electric switches which really makes it a lot more interesting when you're running two trains at the same time on the same track.

DSC01802 (Large).JPG
The past couple summers we've even set it up outside for a week or so when we know there isn't going to be any rain.

Anyone that watched the Addams Family and didn't want a train set after watching Gomez blow up the bridge just isn't alive. I remember being confused as a kid that the visitors seemed disturbed by this most awesome display! Presently I am looking for a cool place to put a Z scale set. Maybe I'll do a coffee table Z set one of these days. Those tiny trains fascinate me.

I laughed like a crazy person when I saw this:

Sorry folks. I forgot all about this thread since I joined a model railway forum. I’ve also been watching you tube videos of all things that go choo choo :D. My new year’s resolution for this year is to get the train room cleared of all the junk we’ve acumulated but it’ll be a slowish process.
We’ve also been getting our kitchen fitted and more stuff joined the other junk.
D57E8C7E-4CF2-4E47-B653-23CF2A03DDBB.jpeg
The floor, which is still the old floor, was going to be difficult to have lifted so we left it and it needs cleaned and waxed but the difference of the kithchen is like night and day. My favourite part is the dishwasher, or “precious” as I’ve been calling it ha ha.

Already thought of that. It’s uneven even within each slab plus that would make it higher than the door entrance. It was going to cost too much in labour to have it changed and the kitchen was expensive enough. When the floor is wet it looks good. Darker and the colours are nicer. I tried colour enhancing sealer on a spare tile but after five coats, it doesn’t look any better. I’m going to try waxing it. If all else fails, I think I’ll get floor paint and paint it.

On my 10th birthday I came home from school and found an American Flyer train set up on the floor of my room. It was my birthday present from my parents. That set is long gone but I have been able to find the engine and cars ( EBay ) that made up that set and have it displayed in my music room. The engine is the 336 ( 4-8-2) and I believe it was the biggest engine American Flyer made.
View attachment 1078093
Actually its the "Pathfinder" from American Flyer. Its a 4-8-4 with semi-vanderbilt tender. I had the same set for Christmas 1959. Sold off everything in 1984 so my dad could build an HO empire.

I got this Bachmann Gresley V2 for Christmas from my wife. She didn’t know what to look for but I too would probably have missed the fact that it was “DCC incompatible” due to something about having a split chassis. It’s nicely weathered although this photo doesn’t show it up much. I am going to have a separate DC line for goods trains and it can pull wagons if the guy I’m going to phone about having it DCC fitted says it’ll be expensive to convert. I like the loco. It has sprung buffers and I prefer the couplings it has. The Hornby couplings are too fragile for my liking. I took the coal off the tender to see if there was room for one of those movement sensor sound capsules but there’s very little room. I would have thought it would be hollow like a wagon. I’m going back to the begining of this thread now, to see how much of it I’ve missed.
14D6DAA8-17A3-4356-929E-02D7F606FECD.jpeg

I just realised, when I went back to the begining of this thread, that it was a year ago I started it! That’s it! I’m going to have to stop procrastinating and get moving. I can always procrastinate another time:D.

Already thought of that. It’s uneven even within each slab plus that would make it higher than the door entrance. It was going to cost too much in labour to have it changed and the kitchen was expensive enough. When the floor is wet it looks good. Darker and the colours are nicer. I tried colour enhancing sealer on a spare tile but after five coats, it doesn’t look any better. I’m going to try waxing it. If all else fails, I think I’ll get floor paint and paint it.
My nieces boyfriend is THE go to tile guy around here, flippin artistry in motion, I'll ask him if he knows any products to change the shade, I'd imagine there's a dye or something nowdays.

My layout used a Digitraxx Super Chief and a MTH DCC Commander which allowed me to run DCC, MTH's version or bypass and run conventional DC with the push of a button.

Back
Top Bottom