Where should you place your best Power Cord?

Why all the juvenile replies; and so many from longtime members who should know better?

Cheers,

Scott

Hey Hyfi,

How's it sounding with the new cords on the APC and Oppo? I'm planning on ordering a 10 gauge power cord for my integrated as well as new speaker cable this week.

Cheers,

Scott
Well, due to xmas deliveries and not being an Amazon Prime customer, I am still waiting for the last 2 cables.

When I used the PA Audio on the APC, and the APC cable on the Amp, I did notice tighter bass so looking to get that back. I will most likely put the APCs cable on my Integra HT along with the new Pangea on the OPPO. I will update as I get them in place and test.

That isn't the "Opinions" this thread is looking for.

There are other locations of AK for them, and an opinion of placing them so you can brag about the way they look has no place in this sub forum. If same poster had said "I didn't notice a difference, but they look good" that would have been fine.

I do have to say, I have been enjoying re-listening to a large part of my collection and hearing it all like it's a new system. I listened to some older Queen yesterday and kept looking up as I heard detail I was unaware of. Also, another great effect is that the wife is now saying "Turn it up" instead of Down because it sounds so good.

Hopefully I will have the 2nd PS Audio cable within a few days, not as worried about the OPPO at the moment as it is not my main player.

@Hyfi I forgot if you mentioned it, but did you change your wall outlet yet?

This arrived from Amazon on Sunday:

IMG_20180102_130641-01 (Custom).jpeg

These hospital grade outlets grip the plugs much firmer than the standard $1 wall outlets most homes have. It's not a dedicated line, but it's a start. Thing is, I have to disassemble most of my audio rack to get at the wall outlet. I do have it out somewhat from the wall, but don't have enough room to work with. This isn't exactly an "audiophile" outlet, but it still runs about $10. The local home improvement stores, for whatever reason, do not stock these. You would think they'd have at least one option on hand.

@Wildcat - I ran a dedicated line to a 4-gang box behind my gear. I used 2 of the orange hospital grade outlets, but considering replacing those with Pangea or PS Audio outlets.

@Hyfi i I would be curious to see if you heard a major difference with the outlets. I'm not expecting a miracle, but power transfer can't be all that good through these cheap $1 outlets, as the AC-5 is sagging a little from the weight. I have a feeling it might be the law of diminishing returns. There are far more expensive outlets than the PS Audio. The Cardas 4181US has copper contacts which are plated with rhodium over silver--$149 for that privilege. (It's nice stuff but I have other upgrades in mind.) And the Oyaide run even more. The one attractive feature I could see for any outlet would be if the conductors/contacts inside are based on copper. Brass is a very poor conductor (I think it has a conductivity rating of 28%, where basic copper is the reference at 100%). That is one reason I am building new interconnects that use copper-based RCA plugs.

This outlet (Leviton 8300W) unfortunately is nickel-plated brass, but at least the grip will be improved. I would have to dig a lot to find a hospital-grade copper-based outlet, if it even exists.

The $7.00 breaker at the other end worries me even more :). I never tested regular outlets when I ran my dedicated line, I just started with the HG outlets.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with audiophile circuit breakers next. :D

They already have plenty of them out there

ABL-21.jpg

http://av2day.com/2013/03/abl-sursum-t1-50amp-cryo-mcb/

@Wildcat - I ran a dedicated line to a 4-gang box behind my gear. I used 2 of the orange hospital grade outlets, but considering replacing those with Pangea or PS Audio outlets.

I believe the PS audio/etc outlets are rebranded hubbel. The hoops to jump through for a UL listing makes in house production next to impossible, and I hope I don't have to explain about using non UL outlets

I use HBL5362 I used these on my 3x 20amp dedicated lines. Great contact surface area & grip, peace of mind over home depot stuff

I use DIY 12 & 14awg OFC with oyaide IEC connectors. Have not compared to stock cables.

Dedicated line did have a noticeable sonic impact with darker background

Dedicated line did have a noticeable sonic impact with darker background

The only line I had before running dedicated was the same line as Kitchen Fluorescent Lights and Refrigerator. Talk about noise....and the whole sound level would go up a bit and sound different as soon as you turned the lights off.

I believe the PS audio/etc outlets are rebranded hubbel. The hoops to jump through for a UL listing makes in house production next to impossible, and I hope I don't have to explain about using non UL outlets
This isn't related to audiophile at all, but I have been looking at some WiFi smart plugs for the home. Plenty of deals, but I found that all of those oddly-named chinese brands do NOT have UL listings. I refuse to use those. I had to spend a bit more, but found some that were UL and CE listed.

Without the benefit of any direct experience, I would think the source is where you would reap the most benefit.

Of course, I'm assuming every other major area has been optimized before moving on to cables because of diminishing returns. Aside from the actual cost of equipment, the best value for your audio dollar is having your listening area analyzed and treated.

I was flabbergasted at the improvement when I put in bass traps and treated the primary reflection points in my room. And this was only using the "mirror method." This year, I'm taking it to the next level by bringing in a professional to optimize the area.

Not to poo poo your cable question, which I really can't answer except to speculate as above, but you will never really know the true potential of your equipment until the room is optimized. Personally, I can't wait for my room to be done so I can start trying out things like power cords and interconnects. To be frank, I hope I don't hear anything. :) That stuff is expensive!

MannyE, I appreciate and agree with your comments. Unfortunately, my main listening room is my Living Room and not a dedicated room. I made a few crude bass traps I placed in each of the 4 corners but really cannot do much more where I am.

But, as it stands, what I have sounds really good and in my opinion, just as good as a system I demo'd recently in a dedicated treated room consisting of a Viva Audio Solistino Integrated, latest Mc CD Player and Tannoy Canterbury speakers with mega bucks in the ICs, PCs and speaker cables.

I was all set to upgrade and buy a new setup, but could not justify it since it really didn't top my 90s era gear.

for real @MannyE

everyone should go bother gik acoustics. they offer free comprehensive analysis of your room and the best avenue for treatment. the more details the better the evaluation.

did a lot of research with the actual construction of rooms and preferential dimensions.

I got my room "diagnosed" for free.. didn't even get solicited for their products.

You can get an expert opinion and DIY all panels and traps for pennies on dollar.

Room acoustics will go much further than cabling

I think balanced power like equitech is cool I wonder how it compares to dedicated lines.

I've read people in Japan get their own poles for service

I would only do minimal treatments here--we likely won't stay longer than a couple more years, and past that I don't know if we'll be moving north, across town or across the country (which is where I want to go). If anything, I need bass traps--the nulls in this room are wicked.

Back to the power, though--the new outlet is in place. I think I might hear a difference. "Stimela (Coal Train)" by Hugh Masekela was up in my player from last night, and I played it. It seemed more punchy than I remember it, and the background seemed a bit quieter than it did last night.

Yet my hearing seems to be messed up today--volume was up to 100% on the player, up to nearly 90 (out of 99) on the preamp, and it did not sound all that loud. And other things just sound...weird. Played "Peg" by Steely Dan and it sounded oddly like it was going through a limiter. Definitely my ears, as I've had spells like this before. Probably hypertension related, even though I've had my pills today... ;) Plus I was lying on my back and twisted like a pretzel to get to that outlet to replace it. Fresh, rested ears will give 'er a go tomorrow.

That new outlet grips like a mutha, though. :D Way better than the $1 outlet.

Back
Top Bottom