NY Blue Mountain Lodge Audio Fest-Peekskill - Saturday, September 15th, 2018

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Starting a fresh thread for the NY metro gatherings.
I have to wait until the first of January to book the Blue Mtn Lodge for next September, figure around the same date as last year.
Do we also want to book it for a spring date as well? Maybe April or May? Start a tradition of two gatherings a year at the lodge? There's a lot of AKers in the NY metro area.
Let me know so when I reserve the Sept date, I can also reserve the spring date. The lodge books up very quickly, so the sooner we decided the better.

For those who could not attend last year, the space is large. There was another wing the same size we set up in unused. So space is not a problem. There's a kitchen and fridge for keeping the snacks and bubbly beverages cold! There were also some tables, and chairs, but probably a good idea to bring some extras.

So let's get the ball rolling and have an even better, larger turnout at the next fest!
Happy holidays gents!

Edit: Address info!
Hey all,

Here's the address and map link.

Cheers, Glenn

435 Welcher Ave, Peekskill, NY 10566

Map link.
https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_y...5&fr=yhs-Lkry-SF01&hspart=Lkry&hsimp=yhs-SF01

Glenn

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Thanks for posting the thread Glenn. I would be in for September. For the spring, I would vote for something closer to our North Jersey start.

Merry Christmas!
That sounds good, but there are a lot of us in the area that could do both Blue Mtn and a North Jersy meet.
I would attend both.

Hi All and happy new year!

I'm going to reserve the Lodge for September today. Do we want a Spring date as well?
The cost is 200.00 for the day. Pretty cheap.

Ok, gents, I have the lodge reserved for Saturday, September 15th.
Spring dates are going quickly. These Saturday dates are available as of a few minutes ago.
April 14th & 21st
May 19th & 26th.
Do we want to have a spring fest?

Glenn

Ok, gents, I have the lodge reserved for Saturday, September 15th.
Glenn

Glenn, could you please provide the location of the lodge for those of us not familiar with the prior meet?

It’s possible I could talk the missus into a day trip. But I need a bit more info.

Thanks in advance.

DD

Glenn, could you please provide the location of the lodge for those of us not familiar with the prior meet?

It’s possible I could talk the missus into a day trip. But I need a bit more info.

Thanks in advance.

DD
Hey DD!

Here's a link with the location, and some pics from the first meet. The exterior pic is from a different event I was at, no snow in September!
Peekskill, NY.

http://www.traverseoutfitters.com/blue-mountain-reservation/

Blue Mtn Lodge.jpg IMG_3672.jpg IMG_3661.jpg IMG_3662.jpg IMG_3671.jpg IMG_3675.jpg IMG_3663.jpg IMG_3679.jpg IMG_3684.jpg IMG_3678.jpg

Hi Glenn, Great Dates ! The Kutztown, PA show dates are 5/11-12/2018 and 9/21-22/2018 so no conflict, yet...If my vote matters, a spring show would be great also. In fact, I think as many shows as possible is best for our hobby/obsession. Best Regards !

Hi Glenn, Great Dates ! The Kutztown, PA show dates are 5/11-12/2018 and 9/21-22/2018 so no conflict, yet...If my vote matters, a spring show would be great also. In fact, I think as many shows as possible is best for our hobby/obsession. Best Regards !
I agree. I just would want to make sure enough AKers will attend to cover the rental costs, which are 200.00 for the day.

Yes, this attendance issue has become a large concern for the future of our hobby. While some of us intend to show, last minute details and personal issues do come up. I think what might be beneficial is some "hype" and "cooperative advertising" among various clubs, record stores (remember those ?), public and college radio stations, technical schools, retirement community listings, local newspapers and the like. For instance, if we can co-op an event with a club, like an antique radio club or historical phonograph society or progressive radio station, interest can be boosted. Advertising, or more directly, marketing should be a concern without being a bother. Of course, that is easier said than done...

My friend recently moved into a retirement community which actually has a monthly rock n roll club meeting in their clubhouse. They listen to music, via CDs and plan some concert excursions. I suggested performing a record playing demonstration, as too many of us have simply forgotten how much fun spinning discs can be. I am still waiting for the club approval of me setting up a playback system there. At the antique radio shows, this is exactly what I do. Besides stereo discs, I spin many early mono LPs, 45s and 78s using preamps having variable or switchable phono playback EQ to accommodate these pre-RIAA phono EQ discs. At the Kutztown show, my 78 spinning often garners much appreciation among the older, stodgier radio folks, until I raise the volume on my thrilling dual mono stereo setup. This sort of "networking" may be an essential ingredient for our hobby's future...

I believe there is a Hudson Valley Antique Radio and Phonograph club, which has meetings and swap meets near the NJ border and Route 17. Perhaps, they can "co-op" some interest bearing marketing with us ? There was a progressive radio station in northern NJ, which has a yearly record show in Brooklyn, NY. Surely, a simple PSA (public service announcement) blurb, sent to them in hopes of their inclusion of this announcement during their jazz or blues hours can be of assistance for our cause ? Another good marketing method might be simply handing out 8 1/2" x 11" paper "flyers" at hamfests and record stores. Maybe, the rare "popular" record store can post the flyer as well as hand out the blurb ? It is possible they might even want to co-sponsor future endeavors...

Surely, during the May 11th-12th, 2018 Kutztown, PA antique radio show at the Renningers Farmers and Antique Market, I can hand out flyers for upcoming AK shows. At some past Kutztown shows, there have been thousands of attendees and hundreds of exhibitors. While March and April begin the usual busy hamfest events, hamfest attendance can be seen as waning. The amateur radio clubs face similar marketing issues. Concerning other online forums' cooperation, there is good news and some bad news. While I know some forums would love to help, simple mention of any other forum can have you ejected instantly by some forum's moderators. Simply linking the info can have the same instant result. Sad, but true, unfortunately. Yet, there are non-competing forums which would have no problem assisting with publicity. Relying on attendees to find out or "link" for themselves may be inadequate. I believe some marketing perseverance will pay off...

Thanks tube for you thoughts and ideas. There is a fun book & record store in Peekskill, and I can check to see if I can pin up a flier and leave some for customers to take, as well as a cool coffee shop I know I can leave fliers at.
I'm not to worried to cover the cost for the September meet. We had 22 or so attendees and a surplus and donated it to the kegger family fund. I would say the first fest at the lodge was a success and we all had a great time. Roughly 10-15 ended up not being able to make it for reasons you mentioned.
I'm thinking after the long cold winter, a spring gathering would be great. Bring out the gear you have been restoring to demo, or sell, or buy someone else's. Like I said, there's a lot of AKers in the NY metro area.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Thanks for posting the thread Glenn. I would be in for September. For the spring, I would vote for something closer to our North Jersey start.
Have not attended an AK meeting yet but I'd be interested in North Jersey as well. And thanks, Glenn, for arranging this.
-Kent

Have not attended an AK meeting yet but I'd be interested in North Jersey as well. And thanks, Glenn, for arranging this.
-Kent
Hi Kent!

Hope you can attend.

To cover the rental cost, everyone paid me 20-22 dollars via paypal. We wanted to make sure to reserve the lodge the first time round, and frankly, I didn't want to end up paying for most of it.
AKers came to the table and send money quickly to secure the reservation, you guys are great!
So those that want to attend the Sept 15th gathering can probably pay less, maybe 15.00 each, as we had a surplus. If there's extra money, then we could apply it to the next Lodge meet.

I really want to get a feel for a spring meet though. If there's at least 10 that will attend, at 20.00 each, that would cover the 200.00 cost. I have not reserved a date for this yet.

Stay warm!
Glenn

Hey all,

Here's my PP account info. Let's set payment at 15.00 each. If there's anything left over, we can use it for the next Lodge fest.
I'll keep a list of attendies and payments made.

gddavis@optonline.net

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom