OFFICIAL. Official Winter Storm Grayson/Brody/"Bombogenesis" thread.

amb3cog

Electronics Junkie. Looking for a fix
This, just in case you're wondering, is the OFFICIAL official thread for the first winter storm of 2018. What makes it OFFICIAL? Or even official? Because I said it is. Duh?

Okay I'm just being silly. Feel free to start your own thread. Just know mine was first bitches! LOL

Okay so we had some fun in a thread in Barter Town joking about the whole New England Bread and Milk thing that started after we all got blasted up the wazoo with a few feet of snow in the blizzard of 78'.

But it's as real as it gets. As is this storm that's baring down on us as I type this. So let's have some fun with it. That's what I try to do with everything. Why not a deadly winter storm right? :dunno:

So please. All of you in the path of the storm, and even those that aren't. Let's all take some pictures, and tell some stories. Maybe crack some jokes whatever. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of us not working today. So why not make the most of it?

I'll start this mess with my pictures from a typical New England supermarket that I visited late last night to procure some supplies (they'll be in a future post. Geeze! Give me a minute!). Between the laughs I had on here before I went into the store. And all the fun I had with other customers who were all too eager to engage in banter with me. I could tell there was a lot of nervous energy flowing right now regarding this, and I think this might be a healthy and fun way to blow off some steam.

Mind you the human spirit never stops. I had more fun shopping last night then I've had in a while. And this was on a day when I received some terrible news that will haunt me for a long time. But as usual my compadres in misery lifted my spirit. So let's do what us humans do, and turn lemon into lemonade.

Thank you all in advance.
Andy B.

MVIMG_20180103_220617.jpg

No bread for you! Two Weeks!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180103_220617.jpg
    MVIMG_20180103_220617.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 46
MVIMG_20180103_220623.jpg

Unless it's raisin bread. We've got that. Just a couple of loaf though.

MVIMG_20180103_220652.jpg

MVIMG_20180103_220727.jpg
MVIMG_20180103_220923.jpg

One of the jokes in Barter Town was that while there may only be cinnamon raisin English Muffins left. Some of us prefer them anyway. And here they are. At first I thought I could only get raisin bread. But instead I came away with both. These were the last of them. That's a cranberry one on top to show you what happens when you wait till 10 minutes before they close. Even though I'm sure there's someone thinking. "Hey I love Cranberry English Muffins". I've just never met that person. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180103_220733.jpg
    MVIMG_20180103_220733.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 24
MVIMG_20180103_221355.jpg

What do you mean there's no chicken? There's a package right here!

IMG_20180103_221401.jpg

Oh you wanted meat? Like fresh meat? I must have misunderstood you. As you can clearly see. There's no meat for you here. Unless you like pigs feet?

MVIMG_20180103_221412.jpg

Yea sorry. No chicken in that one either. C'mon man what did you expect. It's New England! SMH LOL

Okay that's enough for now. I've got a few more, but I'm sure you get the point. It's craziness here in NE, and it will stay that way for a while. I can hear the wind just hawking outside right now. It's no joke. We're going to get whacked. But please, everyone stay safe, and take care of each other.

Please think of your elderly neighbors. I know it seems obtrusive to ask them, but be a little pushy and make sure everything is fine. And maybe even those young neighbors that are cocky jerks. It wouldn't hurt to ask them if they're okay. You'll get over it. Maybe! LOL

I sincerely hope everyone stays safe during the storm. And I hope all of you that are stuck home. Make the most of it. I wish you all the best, and please contribute to the post. Even just pictures with no explanation if you're not too into it. I'm sure we'd all get a kick out of some cool photos of the madness.

Stay safe all, and thank you.
Andy B.

I'm going to brave my four mile commute and enjoy having the shop mostly to myself.
Just bought groceries on Sunday so we should make it through the night.:beerchug:
Snow blower's fueled up and ready to rumble.
Three cord of firewood on hand.
At least it's cold out so if we lose power we can just put the fridge contents out on the back porch!

Looks like Brody's winds kicked it up a notch and we have 8-14 predicted. Well stocked and prepared with no worries here as this isn't anything new having lived in New England all my life. The over hype though of another winter storm never ceases to amaze me.

I am just sorry that I'm missing it. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

We'll get some residual from it as the vortex pulls air across the Lake. Problem is, it's significantly frozen and we can't get a large dump like we did last month.

OK, I'll confess to being a crotchety old feller. I don't understand the madness that descends on the masses on account of a one day storm.
I can only imagine what it would be like of there was a real emergency.
As long as the electricity doesn't go out, what's there to bother about? And by the sounds of it many of you have generators.
In any case, stay warm and dry and see you outside later. And enjoy those cinnamon raisin muffins, yum.

OK, I'll confess to being a crotchety old feller. I don't understand the madness that descends on the masses on account of a one day storm.
I can only imagine what it would be like of there was a real emergency.
As long as the electricity doesn't go out, what's there to bother about? ....
This, ad infinitum. Boggles my mind too.
.... The over hype though of another winter storm never ceases to amaze me.
This, coupled with an alarmist personality explosion and the media whip-up, ripe for these types,... well...

Looks like Brody's winds kicked it up a notch and we have 8-14 predicted. Well stocked and prepared with no worries here as this isn't anything new having lived in New England all my life. The over hype though of another winter storm never ceases to amaze me.

You East Coast pussies--try the lake effect snow belt where I live. 4-5' of snow in my yard and sub-freezing (sub-zero at night) temps with no relief in sight for at least another week. Over 7' of snow in areas just north of me.

Here in Mid- Maryland it has amounted to about a frozen ladyfinger firecracker. The schools are closed and there's not enough snow for the kids to play in. About what one would expect from a storm named Grayson. (Who started this naming winter storms anyhow?)

You East Coast pussies--try the lake effect snow belt where I live. 4-5' of snow in my yard and sub-freezing (sub-zero at night) temps with no relief in sight for at least another week. Over 7' of snow in areas just north of me.
No thanks. I have no desire to live where there's that kind of snow anymore. Having lived in boonies of NH for many years I think I dreaded the black fly-mosquito infested springs more than winter

Well I hope everyone made it through today in one piece. I just stayed in all day myself, and caught up on some sleep. It's still hawking outside, and it's going to get very, very cold soon. But it wasn't that bad thankfully. Our power stayed on. I was hoping it wouldn't so I could listen to my HiFi on Generac generator power. But I'm glad for my neighbors it didn't. Overall an interesting day for sure.

We ended up with a couple feet, but it was light snow and easy to move. Just a lot of it to move! Windy but no power outages here.

I wonder if the extended cold and now the snow will put any kind of dent into the local deer population. That's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

To be fair- we Lake Erie pussies...

Try the Dakotas or Alaska for temps
Try the White Mountains for windchills
Try Yellowstone or around Rainier for snow

and for now,
Try Boston for flash frozen record flooding

I lived in waterbury/danbury from 87-93 and there was a sane meteorolgist on WVIT hartford (NBC) named Brad Field who had an unusually rational take on this. At the time, if you lived in CT, you got over the air 2 cbs, 2 nbc, and 2 ABC. one of each network from the zillion watt NYC stations (you can see the NYC skyline from atop mt beacon on a clear day) and then one from each network in CT. As a result, advertising whoring was at a premium and each tried to out-disaster the other. Keep in mind that a nor-easter has to end with a strong southerly flow, which 99% of the time means finish with rain and melt whatever you got. IIRC we only had one real storm to watch out for - 93

anyways he was lamenting the empty shelves of food and gensets and colemans and said it made sense to stock up back in the 50's and 60's when the store would be restocked once a week, but today, stores get restocked many times a day and the roads are never closed more than a day in the coastal US. coincidentally, his forecasts always had the LEAST amount of snow AND, ended up being the most accurate.

Back
Top Bottom