Who's listening with headphones tonight? To what?

Listening to blackfoot strikes, super tramp crime of the century,ZZ top fandango, lynyrd skynyrd, Kenny wayne shepard using a emotiva pt-100 and a schiit loki eq using audio technica ath-m40s and spotify. That little loki works great with headphones and my klipsch rp280fs. Shepards blue on black is one great tune!

That's quite a fine selection of music. Happy Listening!☺

Various Artists: Douglas on Blue Note

R-2399659-1303270510.jpeg.jpg

NAS BOX > Yamaha receiver > Hifiman HE4XX (Massdrop, modded with 3/16 pad lift and Ablet fenestrated leather pads)

The Colorado String Quartet, "Beethoven: Complete String Quartets, Quartet in F Major, Opus135."

All of 99 cents from Amazon for the whole collection, as mp3.

The Grado SR-80s, straight out of the earphone jack on one of my Lenovo T420s, this one running Ubuntu 16.04, using the Audacious player.

s.

Kiri Te Kanawa - French Opera Arias
EMI Classics
41reR35ECoL.jpg

NASBOX > Yamaha receiver > Hifiman HE4XX (Massdrop, modded with 3/16 pad lift and Ablet fenestrated leather pads)

Jack White - Blunderbuss

FLAC > Audio-gd Reference 5.32 w/ Amanero combo 384 > Decware Taboo III w/ Mullard CV-2493 /Mullard EL-84 /Mullard GZ34 > Audeze LCD-2.2 w/ Aphrodite Cu Zeus

K702s + Bravo audio V 1.jpg

Classical Christmas channel - ClassicalRadio.com

How? RaspberryPi 3 running PiCorePlayer ---> MusicStreamer II ---> BravoAudio V. 1--->AKG K702s.

And a merry Christmas to any AKer up late this night before Christmas.

s.

Classical Christmas channel - ClassicalRadio.com

How? RaspberryPi 3 running PiCorePlayer ---> MusicStreamer II ---> BravoAudio V. 1--->AKG K702s.

And a merry Christmas to any AKer up late this night before Christmas.

s.
All the best, Satkinsn! Rare enough, we are getting snow along the i5 corridor. Errr... It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Michael Bublè ~ Call Me Irresponsible
Reprise Records
Call_Me_Irresponsible.jpg
PC streaming lossless files > Teac UD-H01 > Hifiman HE4XX (Massdrop, modded with 3/16 pad lift and Ablet fenestrated leather pads)

Last edited:
Greg Brown - Covenant
Red House Records
GregBrown-Covenant.jpg
PC streaming lossless files > Teac UD-H01 > Hifiman HE4XX (Massdrop, modded with 3/16 pad lift and Ablet fenestrated leather pads)

Keb Mo on the LG V20 quad DAC phone. Sounds amazing.

38481366875_90f3696f51_h.jpg

Listening to Jimi Hendrix Live at Fillmore East (NYE 1969)...what a great show. Also listening on my Christmas Gift....the one and only Grado SR80e! These are my first open cans, and wow am I impressed. Now I see why people will plug in phones to their receiver and chill out. I got the fireplace going, turntable spinning, headphones on, and imagination running!! These cans do feel a little fragile, but for the amazing price, I'm not complaining one bit.

What tube phono stage is that? I'm looking at the Budgie by Shannon Parks. I've read countless positive reviews...and just waiting to pull the trigger. It will be my first go into tubes...and the first decent phono stage actually.
It's the Budgie, I've only had it for about a week now but am really liking it. First experience with a tube pre too.

I had a listen to Diana Krall's Girl In The Other Room and Holly Cole's Temptation last night with my new Fostex/Massdrop T-x0s and the Schitt Magni 2. Very nice.

They can can be fun when called for and - while I'd never call it the last word in natural sounding headphone - the singers sound like themselves.

Last edited:
It's the Budgie, I've only had it for about a week now but am really liking it. First experience with a tube pre too.

I'm a newbie (6 months or so really learning), but have a very important question that I can't get answered. The phono stage is the missing link to my system. I was thinking of spending $1,000...but I'm about to pull the trigger on the budgie and do something a little more modest for now. The budgie has adjustable impedance which is something I want. It has 15 settings between 6.4kohm and 81.2kohm. All cartridge manufacturers post a preferred capacitance. Some may be 100pf, while others may be 400pf (like my Shure V15 typeIII). I read that the capacitance of the budgie is 50pf...which is relatively low. My phono cables capacitance might be another 50-150pf (is this measured from the cartridge through to the connection point with the preamp?). I ask this question, as I want to see if I can measure with multimeter or find the cf/ft in the literature. So this is the downside I see in the budgie...at least for me. But then I found the following on the Budgies website (see bold text). Can someone clarify this?

"This resistance loading method is far superior to traditional capacitive loading methods: 1) it can adjust resonances up or down, 2) it extends bandwidth while adjusting the resonance (more pF just lowers bandwidth), and 3) there are fifteen options - not just one or two."

Obviously, at the end of the day, I will set my values based on listening...not necessarily the manufacturers recommended settings. I do want the ability to play with different settings to both Learn and Optimize. Many phono preamps don't have adjustable capacitance, which to me doesn't make a lot of sense...especially since the recommended values vary considerably between carts.

Any response is appreciated. I want to buy the Budgie but it's the inability to vary the capacitance which is holding me back. Preamps such as the Musical Phonomena II+ has this ability (though it's a SS preamp). I want to try tubes. The Rogue Audio Triton has variable cap (0, 47, 150, 470, and 1,000pf) but the impedance loading is not as flexible. Err! Am I overthinking too much? I want to spend money wisely on my first preamp.

Sorry I know this is a headphone thread :)

Back
Top Bottom