Still freaking cold in Iowa

Yeah, been chilly here. Looking back at the three day history we had average temp of -14F from the morning of the 31st to the morning of the 2nd, when it finally went back above zero...for a while. The full 3 day average is still a cool -7F.

Still rockin' the cold here as well. Looks like the following week might be in the 20s.

Screenshot_20180103-091616-01.jpeg

36 and rain here this morning.. Won't be long before there is a winter migration of Winnebago snow birds heading North to Alaska!

In South Dakota, it has warmed up 30 degrees F from last weekend. Even so, it is still 5 degrees cold! We chuckle when national news talks about how dangerous cold it is in some parts of the country, when it is another 20 degrees warmer than here!

I always laugh when local schools close because the temp is in the single digits. I suppose nobody reminded them that in colder parts of the country, they're laughing at our "warmer" temperatures, and they still go to school! Maybe if the kids here actually dressed warm (instead of wearing thin clothing), it wouldn't be an issue. I remember schools never closed here if it was simply cold. Now they'll close for two inches of snow. :rolleyes:

We are still at our normal Winter per say of -30 -35 C with wind chills in the -40 AREA!
Normal for us up here in mid-Canada:)
Pretty close to t shirt weather for winterpeg! Not once was school canceled when I lived there .Certainly not for what they call cold in other areas.Once you hit minus 40 c and f are the exact same then it goes the other way.-50c is -58f.

Last edited:
School systems just don't want to deal with the liability issues. Can't say I recall any " its to cold " for school today holidays.
They claim it's because the buses can't travel in it. I call BS. :D Compare us to Minnesota--if they had to close schools based on the piddlin' amount of snow we sometimes get here, they probably wouldn't even attend school for half the winter. ;) Our local administrators seem oblivious to the fact that there are much colder, much snowier climates than ours where kids attend school without any problems.

When I was a kid, yeah, they closed school for three days since it happened to be 19 inches of snow that dumped on us! Yet today I notice the roads are tended to much faster, and neighborhoods are now plowed after each snowfall. Back then, we were lucky to see the plow once each winter, usually weeks after we had been driving in a pair of icy ruts down the street. (They were icy enough that some of the older kids used to bumper-hitch their way down the street. Nowadays if a kid tried it, he'd probably pull the plastic off the back of the car, hit a dry patch, wipe out, then sue the driver of the car!)

Well, they should be Embarrassed! How can you breathe outdoors in that? I can barely do it in 10° F.

One of my window suppliers has its factory in Warroad Minn. They're fun to talk with on the phone.
Tough as nails, stoic types, but salt of the earth. They give factory tours, too--in summer.

In the meantime Western Europe is way above the average temperature for january, its been 15C every afternoon this week, should be something between 0 and 5, lots of rain until somewhat high elevation (snow fall limit is around 2200m today)

-44 in Embarrass MN this morning. That's real temp, not windchill.

Good Golly, that is damn cold - has to be hard to breath. I bet the gas suppliers have to be happy- they must be making a ton of cash.

Here in Iowa, alot of people out in rural areas use propane and one year, not long ago, we had a long period of cold and suppliers actually were running out of propane, and the price tripled even for those that could get it. This year is OK, supplies holding and only up about 15%.
And believe it or not, rarely do the Hog Confinements need heating - they pack the hogs in so tight, it's a constant cooling load. In fact, if the A\C or ventilation fails in the summer, they all die (and they have to put piglets in separate containers right after birth, or they can get crushed).

GREETINGS COLD LOVERS: from the land of the great Winter Carnival, Minnesnowta....or in this year's case Minnesnow-less (only 7" here this season).

Yep, even the snow sculptors are having a tough time of it but the ice people are in their nirvana.

So, -11°F ambient temperature this morning here. Took the dogs out to change the snow color. I stood on the deck in my PJs, housecoat and cup of coffee waiting for them so I could clean off their paws before letting them back inside. Nippy at first, after 5 minutes it was beginning to get a tad chilly and the dogs finished so cleaned paws then let them back inside. Time for me to go in so I grabbed my, what used to be too hot to drink, coffee and realized that I now needed to re-warm in the microwave. Geez I hate nukin' my coffee, kills the flavor.
Next time I spoze I'll leave the coffee inside, aye?! Yah, you betcha! :biggrin:

BTW, there's always been a cold contest between America's 2 coldest cities, Embarrass and International Falls, MN. At least for as long as I can remember. Once in awhile Ely, MN likes to get in on the action.

Oh, and if you really want to be exhilarated; ride a snowmobile across a frozen lake @ 60+mph when it's 10° below.....now THAT'S windchill. :bigok:

Last edited:
Well, it looks like we aren't going to break any records tonight (as originally forecast).
As long as it's above -10 tomorrow, father-in-law and son will be out skiing and snowboarding.
Brrrr.

Back
Top Bottom