Yamaha CR-820 tuner question-FM stereo

I just bought a CR-820 that sounds fantastic. I posted in another thread about the radio pointer not matching the frequency but it’s the same on AM so I think it’s mechanical. However I’m having another tuner problem.

Tonight I received my Polk Monitor 7s and they sound great. However this is the first time I’ve tried the FM stereo (I had it on mono and didn’t realize it) and when the button is pushed it mutes the radio for a second and then comes on. At moderate volume it will stay on. When I turn up the volume, it cuts out. (EDIT: The more I play with it the better it is getting and now does not seem to cut out hardly at all even at louder volume). Not the power, but just the FM. When I push the button for mono, it works fine. Also, on FM stereo when I hold the tuner knob it seems to stay on better. After I’ve played with it some, now it just seems to have trouble picking up FM stereo but after I fiddle with it a bit it will come on and stay one. Now there’s only one station that I know for sure broadcasts in stereo but will only play on the receiver on mono.

Do you think the tuner needs to be cleaned and lubed? Can I spray the tuner with non-residue cleaner or do I need to spray a q-tip and clean that way? I’ve read the tuner cleaning sticky but I won’t quite understand it until I pull the receiver apart.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to continue learning!

Yes sounds like cleaning and alignment. Please look over the thread about cleaning tuners. There are also numerous threads about cleaning controls like the volume balance and switches. Ok to spray into them. I would avoid spaying anywhere need the tuning capacitor.

Yes sounds like cleaning and alignment. Please look over the thread about cleaning tuners. There are also numerous threads about cleaning controls like the volume balance and switches. Ok to spray into them. I would avoid spaying anywhere need the tuning capacitor.

Got it. Thanks!

Ugh. I just realized that the tuning knob is screwed up more than I realized. You have to turn it right to make the indicator go left. Guess I need to pull it apart tomorrow.

The built in antenna is AM only. You need an FM antenna, an inexpensive dipole may work fine.

Ok I think I've gotten it figured out. Sorry for my ignorance but this is my first vintage receiver in a long time. I downloaded the manual (should have done this first) and read that the OTS light will go off when the tuner knob is touched. Also I didn't realize that the antenna on the back is for AM only, so I'll pick up an FM antenna tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that this is the problem with the FM stereo reception as the stations that do come in sound great.

My only concern right now is what I mentioned above, that when I turn the tuner knob to the right, the indicator moves left. I guess someone messed with the cord routing? The movement is smooth and does not slip. I feel confident this is the reason the indicator does not match to the frequency on the dial (it's the same on AM so I feel it's a mechanical problem).

Tomorrow I plan on opening the unit up carefully and checking the tuner cord, but any guidance would be appreciated as to what to check. Also I plan to clean it up inside with some compressed air and clean the tuner connections (I've read up on this).

All in all, other than these few things, the receiver is great. The whole thing is beautiful and in wonderful shape. Also, I hooked up an Apple Airport Express with a DAC and the streaming music is mind blowing. Right now I have it paired with a couple of Polk Monitor 7 speakers. I have a couple of 10B Polks on the way so I'm interested to see how they sound in comparison to the 7s.

Thanks for your help folks, I really appreciate it. I'm enjoying learning!

Tomorrow I plan on opening the unit up carefully and checking the tuner cord, but any guidance would be appreciated as to what to check.

The service manual contains a diagram for the correct cord routing. It's available from at least hifiengine.com, registration required but no charge and no hassle.

Good luck,

chazix

Glad you got that sorted, thus far. I've never run into a tuner that turned the pointer backwards, I guess I just haven't lived a very full life :)

My guess is you'll really like the 10b's with your receiver.

Good luck restringing the tuner, it can be a frustrating experience but just take it step by step and you'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom