MC1.25KW - no ordinary amps, thank you McIntosh!

You can't change the operating voltage on the new McIntosh products, in fact not since 2012.....they make region specific transformers now, so in order to have a 240V conversion done would involve a whole new transformer.
Its suppose to force people like me who buy stuff from the USA, to buy from the local dealer...

I went through this with the MEN220 and C48 I bought out of the USA, eventually I found this out I think, from the guys at AC...

Very nice amps and those giant meters, well, to me they look just amazing!!
Its a great time in ones journey of music and gear...I remember when I got my 452.......

Really !! Crown told me the same thing in 1997, but it wasn`t so..
The voltage taps were there waiting for me to follow the manual reprograming for the right tap changes, though I had to convince Crown via a recorded Telco. call backed up with assurance from the dealer`s that I was not exporting the mains converted amps, and the same with Mac, but. knew what I was doing.
The cost of stocking voltage specific mains transformers are way more expensive than tapping the winds while winding rather than stocking multiple country specific transformers.. They talk the talk to protect their export divisions !!

Pop the bottom covers and get back to me on what you see !!
I would love to see pictures of a two wire power amp transformer primary in a Mac. !!

Really !! Crown told me the same thing in 1997, but it wasn`t so..
The voltage taps were there waiting for me to follow the manual reprograming for the right tap changes, though I had to convince Crown via a recorded Telco. call backed up with assurance from the dealer`s that I was not exporting the mains converted amps, and the same with Mac, but. knew what I was doing.
The cost of stocking voltage specific mains transformers are way more expensive than tapping the winds while winding rather than stocking multiple country specific transformers.. They talk the talk to protect their export divisions !!

Pop the bottom covers and get back to me on what you see !!
I would love to see pictures of a two wire power amp transformer primary in a Mac. !!
Considering McIntosh wind their own transformers, it wouldn't be that difficult to make them that way.
I have done voltage conversions on many McIntosh products, but when I looked in the C48 when I got it, there were 2 primary wires....
Maybe they crop them right back to the windings?

Question regarding break in ....

I don't know exactly what's inside amps and preamps (you know what I mean), but ...

Don't caps and other components need time to mature and settle in? I've had Conrad Johnson, ARC, etc that absolutely took 600 hours or more to settle into a final voice. I can remember during some listening sessions when that special moment where the magic of break in actually happened. Real or imagined, I sensed a change for the better.

I'm am not equating those brands behavior with McIntosh.

But, I'm approaching 120+ hours on my amps and I swear there were some improvements during the night. I was up late (again!!) listening. I can point to a moment where the amps sound just took on that little extra something. You all can call me crazy but I know all amps cold, fresh out of the box sound a little tight and constricted. Especially you tube guys, don't you think the amps sound better 30-45 minutes after turn on as they thermally stabilize?

All this leads to me saying WOW! The new MC1.25KWs are a home run. I can't wait to swap some speakers around.

Last edited:
Considering McIntosh wind their own transformers, it wouldn't be that difficult to make them that way.
I have done voltage conversions on many McIntosh products, but when I looked in the C48 when I got it, there were 2 primary wires....
Maybe they crop them right back to the windings?

Yes, I know they wind their own transformers.

Could be, didn`t open my C220 that I bought about 4~5 years ago to examine. :dunno:

But still stockpiling specific primary voltage transformers verses tapping the same has to be more expensive, one would think ?
When I ordered/bought the (4) MC1201`s @ over $30,000 !!, and was told that I couldn`t have 2 of them converted to 240 volts by the factory, or allowed to perform myself.
I would have told my dealer thank you, but no sale!!
And I would have looked elsewhere.

Thanks for your input and interest kevzep.

Kind regards, OKB

You can't change the operating voltage on the new McIntosh products, in fact not since 2012.....they make region specific transformers now, so in order to have a 240V conversion done would involve a whole new transformer.
Its suppose to force people like me who buy stuff from the USA, to buy from the local dealer...

I went through this with the MEN220 and C48 I bought out of the USA, eventually I found this out I think, from the guys at AC...

Very nice amps and those giant meters, well, to me they look just amazing!!
Its a great time in ones journey of music and gear...I remember when I got my 452.......
Actually p

People were converting the voltage and selling them to countries over the pond illegally and making big money.McIntosh is making it A little harder to do that now.

I swapped in the Revel Studio2. Great speakers made better by a powerful amp with ease and control, big in the room soundstage, quiet, 3D and air, depth and clarity. Outstanding late night and low level listening.

The MC1.25KWs seem to be voiced in a new direction. Not “typical” McIntosh sound, but a more modern, cleaner and more resolving presentation.

Last edited:
I swapped in the Revel Studio2. Great speakers made better by a powerful amp with ease and control, big in the room soundstage, quiet, 3D and air, depth and clarity. Outstanding late night and low level listening.

The MC1.25KWs seem to be voiced in a new direction. Not “typical” McIntosh sound, but a more modern, cleaner and more resolving presentation.
So, is the MC303 a doorstop now or will it be powering Center and Surround channels for multi-ch playback? Inquiring minds want to know.

So, is the MC303 a doorstop now or will it be powering Center and Surround channels for multi-ch playback? Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't have any plans for a multi-ch system, but that could be fun.

There's no doubt that the 1.25s are more impressive all around, but it will be extremely difficult to let the MC303 go. I absolutely love it.

It does not make too much sense to keep it so I expect to eventually list it for sale.

Considering McIntosh wind their own transformers,.....

I thought I read somewhere that Mac only winds audio transformers themselves. Power transformers are made on the outside.

I thought I read somewhere that Mac only winds audio transformers themselves. Power transformers are made on the outside.
Oh, actually that may well be correct......might not be economical for them? Considering the amount of different power transformers they would have to wind, could be too much for their modest size operation.

The amp fairy arrived today. What a way to start a wonderful new year. Thank you McIntosh for building great products.

A special shout out to jimimac for his support and careful attention to his job. Without gentleman like him, McIntosh would not survive.

Thank you. I’m loving these babies .

View attachment 1080095
I can picture the gentleman in the old Maxell tape ad illustration, with his hair blowing back while sitting in an arm chair.
....Except, this is for REAL!
Congrats!

Joe,
Keep the listening impressions coming; fantastic; helping allot.
I am seriously considering the 1.25kw to use with my Wilson X-1.
Originally was to go with 1.2kw, but now sounds like more bass control with the 1.25's and added detail.
The original brightness has subsided now, after some breakin ?
Thanks,
Bill

Joe,
Keep the listening impressions coming; fantastic; helping allot.
I am seriously considering the 1.25kw to use with my Wilson X-1.
Originally was to go with 1.2kw, but now sounds like more bass control with the 1.25's and added detail.
The original brightness has subsided now, after some breakin ?
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Firstly, please try and get a demo if possible.

I was trying to find out what kind of tweeter you have. The speakers are no doubt impressive. I am personally not a fan of Wilson's inverted dome tweeter but do love the soft dome tweeter.

I believe the new amps are voiced for more clarity. If you have some control of the speakers, you should be in a perfect place. Bass, sound stage size and presentation are all tremendous. It was a little hard going back to my MC303 after having the 1.25s in my system for a week or so, but we adapt.

I am curious how a C1100 will perform vs my Luxman C900u. I may need to find out in a month or so. I still need a little more time on the amps to be sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom